To sell or not to sell...

SVT Fun

Established Member
Bored with the 93 Cobra. No apologies, just bored with it. The boxy-looking body style... The shiny plastic interior... The somewhat ineffectual factory stereo system...No cruise control...An uncomfortable ride when compared to newer mustangs and cars in general...Crampy interior, no real room in the car...The 93 Cobras are dog slow, they need extensive modifications just to keep up...Finally, will I be a car show junkie the rest of my life?...

...But, what do I replace the 93 Cobra with if I decide to sell?

SVT Fun

Established Member
Already have a Terminator. Just looking to possibly thin out the herd one 93 Cobra.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Before you dump any more money on cars, maybe you should speak to a therapist to find out why in the world you could possibly be bored owning a 93 & 03 Cobra!! :beer:

Perhaps a Saleen S7 would keep you happy for a month or two? :shrug:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I know what you mean. After driving the Termi for a long time now it is a big step back jumping into a 93. Totally different cars.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I have both as well.

IMO, they're entirely different cars. The '03 is far superior as far as quality, handling and drive. But, you don't own a '93 cobra for comfort, or ride quality. You own it for what it is. The coolest fox body built, it's rarety, uniqueness, and the muscle car feel. Also, I feel there is more room in my fox than there is in my Term by a long shot.

I sold my last '93 and swore I'd never go back. Not because of any particular issue, but because I really like the advances of the newer stangs. Since then I realized there were elements of the '93 that I missed that the new cars don't have.

It's like owning an old muscle car. You don't own it for any other reason but what it is. I know this is not the same, and value aside, but it's like saying, I'm going to sell my Boss 429 because it doesn't have a/c. Or, I'm going to sell my '00 R because it doesn't have a stereo, or the road noise is too much, or it rides too stiff. 93 cobra's IMO are a toy, second car, accessory, they're not owned because of how great they handle, or smooth they are, or great the plastic looks. They're modern muscle/collector cars. They're owned because that's the passion you have for the best fox body ever made and the admiration you get from every mustang owner out there.

Hope this makes sense. I've been on both sides of the fence, and I'd be incomplete without one.

They are replaceable though, so sell it if you're not happy. You can (and probably will) get another one when you're ready.

Last edited:

CGoeschel

Established Member
Ive had 3 Terminators, 1 '05 Mustang GT, 1 '06 Procharged Mustang GT, and now a 2007 Shelby GT500 and I have to admit, I have way more fun with the raw nature and driving style of the '93. Its not as fast as any of the other ones and certainly doesnt have the creature comforts, but I dont care. When I go out to the garage, I find myself picking the '93 to drive my 5 miles each way to work and back. Maybe thats why the Shelby just sits under the car cover in the garage!

fivestangs

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
It's like owning an old muscle car. You don't own it for any other reason but what it is. I know this is not the same, and value aside, but it's like saying, I'm going to sell my Boss 429 because it doesn't have a/c. Or, I'm going to sell my '00 R because it doesn't have a stereo, or the road noise is too much, or it rides too stiff. 93 cobra's IMO are a toy, second car, accessory, they're not owned because of how great they handle, or smooth they are, or great the plastic looks. They're modern muscle/collector cars. They're owned because that's the passion you have for the best fox body ever made and the admiration you get from every mustang owner out there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ well said... :rockon: :rockon:

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
CGoeschel said:
Ive had 3 Terminators, 1 '05 Mustang GT, 1 '06 Procharged Mustang GT, and now a 2007 Shelby GT500 and I have to admit, I have way more fun with the raw nature and driving style of the '93. Its not as fast as any of the other ones and certainly doesnt have the creature comforts, but I dont care. When I go out to the garage, I find myself picking the '93 to drive my 5 miles each way to work and back. Maybe thats why the Shelby just sits under the car cover in the garage!

i wish i had your problem

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
SVT Fun said:
Bored with the 93 Cobra. No apologies, just bored with it. The boxy-looking body style... The shiny plastic interior... The somewhat ineffectual factory stereo system...No cruise control...An uncomfortable ride when compared to newer mustangs and cars in general...Crampy interior, no real room in the car...The 93 Cobras are dog slow, they need extensive modifications just to keep up...Finally, will I be a car show junkie the rest of my life?...

...But, what do I replace the 93 Cobra with if I decide to sell?

01-04 Lightning, or SC Harley, or turbo diesal f-250

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I have both as well.

IMO, they're entirely different cars. The '03 is far superior as far as quality, handling and drive. But, you don't own a '93 cobra for comfort, or ride quality. You own it for what it is. The coolest fox body built, it's rarety, uniqueness, and the muscle car feel. Also, I feel there is more room in my fox than there is in my Term by a long shot.

I sold my last '93 and swore I'd never go back. Not because of any particular issue, but because I really like the advances of the newer stangs. Since then I realized there were elements of the '93 that I missed that the new cars don't have.

Hope this makes sense. I've been on both sides of the fence, and I'd be incomplete without one.

They are replaceable though, so sell it if you're not happy. You can (and probably will) get another one when you're ready.

100% Agreed :beer:

ihateclowns

Established Member
I too agree....

I have owned several years of Mustangs from 1966 thru 1993. Each had its own personality. I have to admit, the best old car was my 68 GT Fastback 4-speed. First year of the 302, 4-barrel heads, 4-barrel intake, 4-speed, 9: rear with 3:25 gears, you get the picture. However, when I bought my first 93 Cobra I hit my comfort zone. Yes, I could have bought any other year model, but it just felt right.

I don't think any of us truly find the perfect car. They don't exist (at least not for me). But, I am willing to put up with a few imperfections (like mid-car shake, rattle, and roll, UGHHHHHH) in my 93 Cobra to have a car that has the modern things I wanted like 4-wheel disc brakes, rack-in-pinion steering, A/C, etc and still retained some of that old school muscle car heritage.

Buy what you like.

Clowns!

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I have both as well.

Well said !

Knexo

Established Member
I've owned 2 ls1 camaro's and a 93 cobra. The mustang wouldn't have a chance of hanging with the camaro's, but I sure did have alot more enjoyment in the Cobra. It's hard to explain, but I think it was a feeling of pride of having something that everyone else didn't. Also the respect you got from car guys, because it didn't matter if your a mopar, gm, or jap person, everyone knows what a 93 Cobra. I've been without my Cobra now for a 1-1/2 and if it wasn't for ongoing medical conditions with my daughter, I would have another one now. Make sure you really think about 3-6 months from now and if you think you'll miss it then. If not, then its time to get something different.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
I sold my 93 a few years back 'cause I thought my tastes had changed and i had owned the car for 6yrs and became bored with it. I then got into the "dubs" thing and modded a couple different lexus models and then after that got boring, I got into the import thing with a stealth TT. Finally I came back to deciding on getting another stang.

I considered a terminator,new stangs and convertibles but something just brought me back to the 93 Cobra. I know what you mean about the boxy body style and old interior but for me at least, It didn't matter. I coulda bought any stang but i went back to a 93 cobra.

So yeah don't sell the cobra if you've had a history with the car and you think you might miss it. If you've only owned it for a short time and have no ties to it, then it shouldn't matter as much.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Try putting it in storage for 6 months before you sell it. I promise you will be dying to get back in it.

The lure of the 93 (or any foxbody) is its simplicity and feeling everything the car is doing (good and bad). They are very easy to make fast and no matter what the other guy is driving he will respect a fox stang.

The foxbody is in a state of transition right now. Going from a cheap throw away car to being a classic. People have already started snapping up the clean unmolested cars for premium prices, and overlooking the highly modified cars.

I sold my fox back in May to search for a Cobra, and make adjustment time for my new daughter. I miss the hell out of my fox. I have an 02 GT in the garage with all the bolt-ons, Mach 1000 stereo, and comfy black leather int but I would rather have my old fox back.

carguy19

Established Member
Dont sell the 93, you have a car that in years from now they will be selling for crazy money. They are way more rare then any old Z28, GTO, Boss 302 and look at the money that those cars are bringing.

SVT Fun

Established Member
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Really a difficult decision to make. I may take the advice of one gentleman and stop driving it for a month or so before I make any decision. Heh, after all, I am driving it today. I did just burn through the first few gears in it, too. And, oh,yes, I drove it home March 26,1993 from Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville. Cobra #443. Black/black. So boring to drive. No one rubber necks at red lights or anything like that. Well, just the other day I almost ran off the road looking at a 20xx Mustang GT. I just never see those 20xx mustangs on the road anymore.

Hmmmm...maybe a 68 and a half 428 cobra jet 4 speed...But why bother with an old time car when I can have a new 20xx Mustang?

Ohhh..what about a red honda civic with a white hood and gray ground effects and a black spoiler wingy thing on the back of it? YES, that's it!!! I'm selling the Cobra for a 4 tone color scheme honda civic.

Users who are viewing this thread