To Track it, or not to Track it, that is the question! WWYD?

SirShaun

Established Member
My buddy with his Supra is going to the local 1/8 mile track tomorrow to practice his launching. He's attending a track rental coming up, has been flirting with 9s (Low 10s) last year, finally put some suspension under the car and wants to get some time with it. Hes added more power since then too, so its definitely capable.

I'm not worried about beating him because, he is on E85 and makes more power, but if it were to happen awesome.

Background story over. It's making me really want to take my car to the track and run the 1/8th all night.

I'm on stock rear end, and stock clutch. I haven't ran it yet at the track, since doing power/suspension/wheels/tires for those reasons. I've heard horror stories of rears breaking on the 1-2 shift, etc. Currently sitting on a 325/50/15 Hoosier DR, not the most stick friendly tire to begin with.

Would you go run the piss out of it and hope for the best? Or keep building and maybe next year? Looking for some experiences from those who have been through this very same dilemma and actually attempted it? Did you break right away? Did it make it a few passes? So torn.

Car made 686/700 at the wheel. Rest of info in my sig. I feel all that I am missing is clutch and rearend build (still stock 3.55s going 3.73s when its down).

Last edited:

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Don't come back unless you have a 6 second slip:)

Honestly, go and enjoy your car. If you could find a set of slicks to borrow/buy between now and then, you'd be in better shape.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have another vehicle?

If yes, then the answer to race/track it is always a YES.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have another vehicle? If yes, then the answer to race/track it is always a YES.

^^^^ +1.

Leave off idle... once clutch is fully released, let it eat! Let your car and clutch cool between runs. Your stock clutch won't last long at that power level with sticky tires. My original clutch gave up on the strip after 6 passes in 3 hours, but I was still able to limp it 50 miles back home. Replaced it with a Spec SS and no problems since.

tvspower

Established Member
If you can afford fixes, go have fun. Seat time is your best friend. Good luck

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
A little word of advice derived from a recent personal experience. DONT race an AWD car heads up. I say that because I did and the fricken GT-R had more power going through it than the stock driveline could handle. It grenaded the driveline, driver lost control and crashed over hard into my lane. While the damage to my car wasnt nearly as bad as it could have been had I not literally stood on the brakes, its still all out of my pocket. My poor amazon store card is getting raped :( Amazingly enough, Ive found a ton of parts on Amazon!

Back on topic, when the GT-R driveline blew it, for a split second, shot ALL the power to the front wheels. The driver wasnt expecting the torque steer and he lost control in that split second. Same can happen to STIs and Evos. I personally intend to go back to the track in the future, but only to run the clock. Ill have 3-4 second reaction times until I can afford to build a beater drag car.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Watch out for that driveshaft and unwelded axle tubes. No wild launches, leave under 2 grand, no high rpm clutch drops, cuz if it hooks, it's going to twist ya something stupid.

SirShaun

Established Member
Watch out for that driveshaft and unwelded axle tubes. No wild launches, leave under 2 grand, no high rpm clutch drops, cuz if it hooks, it's going to twist ya something stupid.

Yeaaaaah, basically did everything you said not to do... Horrible idea. Man I wish you guys would have replied sooner. The car is going to be down for awhile. Daaaaaamnit. Wasn't worried about driveshaft as I have the PST CF DS.

Twisted the axle tubes for sure, not sure what carnage awaits inside the case. How do you guys keep these cars in gear at launch!? Damn car would not stay in first to save it's life. It kept popping out of gear every launch.

Luckily it didn't tear the whole quarter panel off. Skinned the paint inside the wheel well where the tire is touching.
ouch1.jpg

ouch2.jpg

Soooo, it's going to have to sit for awhile as I'm recovering from wedding costs. I have awhile to plan the fix. This really sucks. How should I go about fixing this? Once tubes are twisted, I guess I need a new case? I need fix ideas and a game plan. AND WHY THE HELL WOULDN'T IT STAY IN 1st GEAR WHEN LAUNCHING!?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, that sucks... hope it doesn't have to stay down long. My trans popped out of first gear (only one time) at my last strip outing with a well prepped track. At the time, I thought I might have accidentally pulled it out of gear under acceleration... still not sure really. Left off idle on my final pass and it stayed in gear. You are making a ton of torque and basically shock-loading the trans.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Well at least you gave er hell!!

Good luck on the repairs man. Build it, race it, break it, repeat!

HighTorque

Established Member
I have a 14 and am going to drag for the first time since installing uca lca gen 2 shifter and mt et street r's . On factory tires i always launched around 3200 but after seeing this post im terrified lol.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
If you are shooting for a 1.5 sec 60' time on a stock rearend, you are going to break something. I can leave off idle and get a 1.8 and still drive my car home.

HighTorque

Established Member
Shooting for any 60' under 2 sec my pb is 2.1 on factory goodyears. When you say leave off idle you mean no gas pedal until green light and ease out of the clutch as if im at a street light?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Correct. Highest rpm I've launched at is 3000, and that's with intake, offroad h, TB and pulley.

Last edited:

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Yeaaaaah, basically did everything you said not to do... Horrible idea. Man I wish you guys would have replied sooner. The car is going to be down for awhile. Daaaaaamnit. Wasn't worried about driveshaft as I have the PST CF DS.

Twisted the axle tubes for sure, not sure what carnage awaits inside the case. How do you guys keep these cars in gear at launch!? Damn car would not stay in first to save it's life. It kept popping out of gear every launch.

Luckily it didn't tear the whole quarter panel off. Skinned the paint inside the wheel well where the tire is touching.
View attachment 52367

View attachment 52368

Soooo, it's going to have to sit for awhile as I'm recovering from wedding costs. I have awhile to plan the fix. This really sucks. How should I go about fixing this? Once tubes are twisted, I guess I need a new case? I need fix ideas and a game plan. AND WHY THE HELL WOULDN'T IT STAY IN 1st GEAR WHEN LAUNCHING!?

Wow, sorry to hear about it. That pic of the tire rubbing the front fender brings back horrible memories for me as that's exactly what happened on my car. I would get the inner fender painted ASAP to prevent any rusting. I ended up getting a FRPP rear end for $1,300, welding the tubes, welding on a swarr bar, and putting in Strage c-clip eliminators and axles. Unfortunately, I think the FRPP rear end has been discontinued but maybe somebody still carries it. Your rear end is probably salvageable but will need to be inspected for any other damage. As far as popping out of gear, I'm not sure about that one. Never had that happen. Best of luck to you.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
When you say leave off idle you mean no gas pedal until green light and ease out of the clutch as if im at a street light?

Yes. At idle... last yellow light comes on... give it a little gas so you don't stall... quickly release clutch... floor it!

Users who are viewing this thread