TOB update - Found problem, Ford's screwing me! Please read.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT F15O
Do you have a part number for the retainer>??? The dealer we deal with thru our shop(trans shop) has pulled miracles for me before. Let me know the part number and I will get ya one. -Mat-

I will try to find it tomorrow. Thanks man. :beer:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I'm sure you can get a decent stock pulley from someone on this board. I think that overboost code can be cleared.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
I will try to find it tomorrow. Thanks man. :beer:

Not a problem. I am going into the hospital 2morrow for leg surgery, I will try and have my brother track down this thread and get the number and make the call. If you can email it to me also, it will make things easier. [email protected] -Mat-

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I'm sure you can get a decent stock pulley from someone on this board. I think that overboost code can be cleared.

Dude, that's the funny thing, the pulley WASN'T waht got the flag on it! They put the flag on it because they said "You drive the car hard, and that's just not normal driving conditions". You believe that sh!t!?!?! I buy a 400 HP car, and I'm supposed to grandma it everywhere?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I think all the warranty work done to the drivetrain is what got you flagged. I'm sure Ford is keeping an eye on these things.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I think all the warranty work done to the drivetrain is what got you flagged. I'm sure Ford is keeping an eye on these things.

Yep, that's what the dealer told me. Funny thing is, it's not that much stuff:

2 clutches due to TOB failure
1 half-shaft
1 Diff

That's IT!!!!

Tweaker

Established Member
Any attorneys on the board that want to represent these issues? Seem like this forum could use a full time attorney to go after the dealers and FOMOCO, This is all very petty BS!

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
I'm pretty bombed right now, but i'll try my best. .

I work for a large computer mftr (2 letters), and we are req'd to have spare parts available to the public as spares (ie not warranty; I should be able to provide a part# for any currently available product, and providing that it is not constrained, must be available to the public. I have relatives in the dealership business, and if you get a p/n, we can check for availability, and you get your part, no questions asked).

Hope I made sense

Good Luck

bond99

Established Member
How bout this fella's----20 or 30 Cobra's decending on said bad dealerships-with a little news coverage as to what really going on w/Ford and their supposed warantee-I'm sure some bad publicity would make more than a few dealerships think twice about screwing us!-

I'd make a road trip for some fun like that

Silver 03 Cobra

Sorry to here that Brian. I'm surprised some of you haven't read the posts on this board before on this problem. The TOB retainer is welded to the T56 case and can not be replaced. No shit. I know, it broke on mine. I got a new T56 under warranty. I also learned something else a couple of months ago. A bad TOB can stress the retainer and cause it to fail. My TOB started squealing just after my 03 arrived. I drove it for a few months until I knew I needed to do something about it. I guess driving it around with the bad TOB for a few months caused the retainer to wear and it failed about 10 days after the new TOB was installed. The squeal was not that bad and intermittent. Some days it would not make any noise.

About a month ago the replacement TOB started sqealing after 12k miles. I know I need to get this thing in for another TOB. It looks like Ford would address the TOB problem. I know it's costing them a lot of money.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
It looks like the solution is simple.

If we're under warranty, just ride that squealing TOB until the sucker screws up the transmission, then let Ford replace their badly spec'ed tranny under said warranty. Give the mechanic doing the warranty work a composite sleeve TOB to put in, or do it yourself immediately after the new tranny is installed.

If you're not under warranty, and the TOB is squealing, don't delay. Do what you have to do...I hear of Spec3 clutches going into these cars all the time, it will just be up to the owner to pull that transmission and replace the clutch, pressure plate and TOB all at once.

Sorry to hear about your problems Guru...I believe the best avenue would be to repair as best as possible, button her back up and sell it off. I wouldhave absolutely no remorse about doing that...trade it on a new car from any manufacturer. Your sanity is worth more than an occasional adrenalin rush.

Last edited:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
The bearing retainer is a known product problem. No you cannot get it separate from Ford. There is some agreement between Ford and Tremec about service parts for those tranny's. The only fix availible is to replace the trans and use the updated clutch.

mlrny01

Established Member
Why more and more does this sound like a bunch of "known issues" that are coming to public light. :dw: Even if an owner was not to "mod" the car these issues would come to light, however, once any "mod" is done it comes up faster than if the car was totaly stock. If one was to "granny" the car around it seems to me the TOB issue could/would come about during the warranty or after it has expired. With all the "testing" ford does this issue HAD to come to light somewhere along the line, they had to know these issues would come along. What a shame ford is doing this to the "premier" group/demograpic they are trying to reach with the "SVT group". What is the point of owning a "snake" when your're concerend to "Drive" it God forbid if you actually know how to drive or are in any way enticed by the power the snake has to push the performace envelope at all with a "performance" vehicle from the SVT group of Ford. Sigh....stepping down from soap box. I think I'll buy a used chevette and shoe horn a 454 in it i think
I'd have fewer issues than you all have. So much for me wanting a SVT product from Ford....... :nonono:

Last edited:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
The TOB issue comes about on most 03's at 10k or less, moded or not. I have posted dozens of explanations about this, but i guess no one was paying any attention!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to let my bro sand the retainer a bit and put the composite TOB back in. Hopefully that will get me back to NC and through the next few weeks. Then I am taking it in to a dealer and have them call the rep. I am going to tell the dealer that I want to talk to the rep, because I know exactly what is wrong with it. If the rep voids my warranty without fixing the retainer, since the part is not available, I will probably hand him the keys and tell him to keep it.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
It also ticks me off that Ford is so uneven in the application of their warranty rules. One member, who shall remain unnamed, got two replacement clutches with long tube headers/chip/pulley etc, all on the car. Others get refused service with less RWHP/TQ than he had. The dealers are worried about Ford, and rightfully so, but they still have some jurisdiction.
From what I have heard, the more stringent dealerships are ones that have close scrutiny via ford for past issues. Dealers who are in the highest ford standing are the "golden children" so to speak and ford barely bats at eye at anything they do because they get few if any complaints, meet quota's etc.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Yep, that's what the dealer told me. Funny thing is, it's not that much stuff:

2 clutches due to TOB failure
1 half-shaft
1 Diff

That's IT!!!!

That's 2 TOB's, 1 half shaft, and one diff more than me.

Seriously, you guys didn't know about the TOB sleeve? It's all old news about the sleeve, it being cast into the trans instead of bolted, and the lack of parts for the trans.

You can't replace it anyways can you? I thought the sleeve was a cast part of the case. And that's why Ford puts new trannies in for TOB failures.

Tweaker

Established Member
So then one can assume that the TOB and sleeve failure will occur on every '03?

1. That the TOB is a design flaw and every Cobra owner will have to eventually have it repaired?

2. If not repaired in time, Ford will have to replace the transmission?

3. The revised TOB is still bad?

4. The '04's rolling off the line will have this problem?

If this is true then a RECALL is in order. SVT needs to find a solution or Ford will be paying thousands in warranty repairs. Can the TOB vendor. Funny how the aftermarket can build a reliable TOB...

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Well, if it does result in a recall hopefully they will replace it with a tranny that has 26 spline input shaft, stronger output shaft as well as a redesigned TOB sleeve etc.....yea, well, we can dream cant we?

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
NetworkingGuru,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(

2 questions:

1) If people are replacing the 03 Spec T-56 with the Viper Spec T-56, what are they doing about the retainer sleeve? As stated on the first page, the Viper spec sleeve won't work?

2) Does the full tranny replacement under warranty resolve this problem long term or are they just putting in a tranny with identical sleeve design that will fail again in 10K miles?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread