TOB update - Found problem, Ford's screwing me! Please read.

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
NetworkingGuru,

Sorry man I checked with my buddy. According to the parts breakdown on the computer, the retainer is part of the casing. He called ford and they told him they couldn't get it to him. Sorry I wasn't able to help. Hopefully the modifications you made to your will last. Did you have any trouble with it on the way home?

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
He allready tried that and they are trying to void his waranty. also some people have gotten the tob replaced only to have it go out again.So they need to fix the problem not just put the same POS back in.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobrablack
He allready tried that and they are trying to void his waranty. also some people have gotten the tob replaced only to have it go out again.So they need to fix the problem not just put the same POS back in.

Yep, I've already been through two of the POS Ford TOB's. That's actually the cause of the problem. The Ford TOB is steel and eats through the bearing retainer pretty much guaranteeing future TOB failures. I have the SPEC composite TOB in now, but it won't help any until I get a new retainer.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
guru do you think; IF my bearing retainer is not damaged and IF I could get the tech to put a composite bearing in while he has it apart that would solve the problem? And prevent future tob failures?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobrablack
guru do you think; IF my bearing retainer is not damaged and IF I could get the tech to put a composite bearing in while he has it apart that would solve the problem? And prevent future tob failures?

I am no TOB expert, but I can't possibly see how the plastic-like material in the SPEC TOB could eat through the steel retainer, and neither do either of the techs I asked about it. On the other hand, that same material may cause premature TOB failure, that remains to be seen. :shrug:

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Thats true about the tob but at least I could buy those(as apposed to the retainer) And they would probebly last longer than 8000 miles.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
The clutch will squeel or chatter . mine does it when fully depressed others do it when fully released. starts out intermitingly then becomes more frequent as the bearing gets worse.

A94cobra Spec makes one not sure if local auto parts stores would carry it. maybe D&D or Summit.

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
I took my car into the dealership for the clutch vibration. They said the piece that holds the TOB in place broke. Said they couldn't get just that part. Is that the TOB retainer? Well, they said they have to put a new transmission in the car. It's being covered under warranty too.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by sapper
I thought that federal law required car companies to offer parts for vehicles they sell for 20 years. At least that is what I had been told may years ago.
What about getting the part at a junk yard. There must be some 03's around the country that a junk yard could find and send you the part.

They do sell the part - the whole tranny. There is no requirement to sell component parts. Ever tried to rebuild a Toyota alternator - must be made of gold, cost me 4x what a new Delco unit used to, and I could get diodes, brushes, etc.

That really sux that Ford is screwing you over - I sold my car last week to prepare for (or maybe if is the better word) buying the Ford GT.

If that turns out to be a bust, I will go with one of the following:
2006 Corvette Z06
Next gen NSX
2004 Honda S2000

The last two have some quality, and all 3 are light - I have decided that for the driving I like to do, lightness counts - I think the GT is supposed to be in the low 3000's.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I am hoping they will waranty it, but I expect that I will be ordering the aftermarket spec TOB retainer from D&D. I am already drafting a letter to the dealership/svt rep that details my findings and what I will and will not pay for. Next, I will begin on the letters to mags. If it goes that far, I will probably also begin asking around to see if any attorneys want to take on a class action case against Ford.

Good luck with the GT man, it's a sweet car.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Guru, the bearing retainer is a known issue. If you want to start a class action suit i doubt an attorney will jump in on it trying to fight Ford when alot of these failure's could be attributed to Mods. Not saying that what is happening is right but in court of law things can get turned around and Ford has very good legal council on their payroll so i would suggest trying to get this done in a low key manner. The more you talk lawsuit and press the less Ford will be willing to help.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I am not going to talk lawsuit to anyone at the dealership or the rep. That is if things go badly when I am being nice. Bottom line though is if I get screwed on this, I WILL do everything in my power to make Ford pay, that's a promise. I would GLADLY pay the $50 for the part. If they won't sell it, I will get them all the bad press I can. It's just the principle of the thing.

Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
Guru, the bearing retainer is a known issue. If you want to start a class action suit i doubt an attorney will jump in on it trying to fight Ford when alot of these failure's could be attributed to Mods. Not saying that what is happening is right but in court of law things can get turned around and Ford has very good legal council on their payroll so i would suggest trying to get this done in a low key manner. The more you talk lawsuit and press the less Ford will be willing to help.

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
I am not going to talk lawsuit to anyone at the dealership or the rep. That is if things go badly when I am being nice. Bottom line though is if I get screwed on this, I WILL do everything in my power to make Ford pay, that's a promise. I would GLADLY pay the $50 for the part. If they won't sell it, I will get them all the bad press I can. It's just the principle of the thing.

When I took my car into the the dealership they said the TOB retainer was broken. I think that is what holds the TOB from moving. The TOB was just bouncing around when the clutch was not engaged. They said they couldn't get the part alone. They have to get a whole new transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread