Today's repair: radiator and cooling fan

robvas

Established Member
I have only driven this car a handful of times but I always noticed a little antifreeze smell (pancake syrup)

I could never find a leak, though. Eventually it started losing enough to where the low coolant light came on, so I refilled the overflow tank. It lost enough to turn the light on again, so I filled it again, only to go into the garage the next day and see all the coolant on the ground.

Got the car up on jackstands and came to the conclusion that the radiator was cracked on the bottom of the passenger side. Went to O'reillys and got a aftermarket one. It should have been a 45 minute swap...

Pics:

Pulled the old rad out in about 10 minutes

****ing fan.

Let's look at the wiring

What happened to the factory cooling fan wiring? SOMEONE SNIPPED IT

Old vs new

Bought a generic fan to stick on there.

88 degrees out today and she's idling in the sun real nice. Fan came on once it hit 190 and it never went any higher.

Basically, some dipshit wired the fans to a manual switch inside the car. Why, I don't know. The switch basically melted so I was running with no fans but it's been cooler here so no big deal.

I reconnected the factory wiring to the new fan. Technically I could have gotten a dual fan or two speed fan, but I don't think I need it. I also has a skinny bitch 1" radiator instead of some ****ing aluminum fluidyne or mishimoto. I think this will be just fine, jamming one of those in the stock location is a PITA and probably overkill. I mean Ford designed these things to idle in Arizona in the summer without dying right?

Also my Crutchfield order showed up so now I have a bluetooth stereo. Harness connects it to the factory Mach 460 system with the amps, they sent me a kind of stupid wiring harness for the speakers so 1 of them isn't work but it sounds decent. Metra 70-5110 (?)

shurur

Established Member
It never ends...
For the future, moving the ABS a bit back for the 2 core AL radiators is not a big deal. The 3 cores are a bit snug and need the extended AL mishimoto upper mounts so thicker radiator is mounted at a slant and not flexed...ask me how I know...

Recommend the 2 core mishimoto with the mounting braces to withstand body flex. I think a 3 core is overkill and probably not any better than a 2 core.
Guys are roadracing with the 2 cores.

I had a champion 3 core AL radiator, then a plastic napa radiator crack....have a mishimoto ready to go in.

OEM radiator was a panzer (copper core?) radiator for that reason.

Good luck

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Today it started heating up a lot again...pulled over and the fan wasn't on. Was about 210 or so. Driving it would cool back down to 200.

Wondered what was up. Popped the hood and jumpered the fan, came right on.

Then it hit me - it's a two speed fan and low is probably in the tune at 190 (when it came on yesterday), and high is probably 200-210. Where factory is something like 208/220 or whatever good results return

I added another connector to the orange high speed wire and used that to connect the fan and the fans then came on at 208 or 210. I think I'll try leaving it at that. Would be nice to just set it at 200 but I'm not sure how i could change that on a locked tune.

Maybe an external fan controller. We'll see if this radiator can keep cool or if I have to upgrade the fan. Might rip the AC out since it doesn't work and this is a convertible.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm using the OE fan with a Mishimoto radiator. The settings have been changed in the tune.

It works fine for my car.

Adding a controller might be all you need.

robvas

Established Member
I'm using the OE fan with a Mishimoto radiator. The settings have been changed in the tune.

I might just find an OE fan if I'm still not happy.

shurur

Established Member

Yes those pwm fan controllers keep engine temps more constant for sure.

Adower

Established Member

Did you have any issues with the bolt on the brace hitting the AC line? I just installed a mishimoto and that top bolt for the brace sits dang near even with the AC line. I could not for the life of me get the line to bend so I just left the bolt out for now.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Here are a few pics of mine:
20220529_104130.jpg
20220529_104140.jpg
20220529_104140.jpg
20220529_104253.jpg
20220529_104257.jpg
20220529_104119.jpg

Adower

Established Member
I've had this for over 10-11 years now, I don't recall if it came with a brace or not.
Ah ok. The black brace that comes with it now is within the last few years I believe. Without it I have no issues but with it, the fit is TIGHT.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Does this brace replace the factory mounting brackets or is this some kind of extra support?

Adower

Established Member
Does this brace replace the factory mounting brackets or is this some kind of extra support?
It’s an extra support. I guess Mishimoto radiators had an issue with leaking due to chassis flex causing the rad to crack. So they made these brackets with rubber bushing that attach to the radiator to stop any flexing.

Users who are viewing this thread