Today's the Day

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
This morning I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2016 GT. The cutoff for ordering a 2016 is today, and I found out that the Guard Metalic color is being discontinued for 2017. Being that California recently went back to the black and yellow license plates, like the ones on Bullitt, I chose Guard Metalic in order to resemble the Bullitt Mustang. I've had a love afair with the Mustang my whole life, and I haven't had one in my garage for a couple years now; I've been smiling all day... I just went with a base GT, but I did opt for the Recaro seats. Just wanted to say hi, and I hope to meet some of you soon.

:rolling::rolling:

thehunterooo

Established Member
Nice! I got the base with the recaros as well, the cloth recaros have held up very well over the past 14 months.

Plan for mods?

Zodiac

Established Member
Congrats! I have the exact same car as thehunterooo and my recaros look like new as well. I actually prefer the base GT to the premium since I prefer cloth. The only thing I wish the base car had from the premium is the rear valance. Guard is an awesome color, I just wish it was more green.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have a long list of planned mods, but for now, I'm starting with the fundamentals: Exhaust, tint, blacked out front grill, and I'll lower it.

Dcrypter

Established Member
If you aren't against it for some reason I recommend adding the Performance Pack to your GT. You wouldn't even be able to buy all the upgrades in the kit for $2500 nevermind have them installed. Also it won't negatively affect your order as long as you haven't been assigned a build date.

Other than that welcome to the club! I ordered mine July 2014 and had the pleasure of waiting 5 months for delivery haha. To be fair they didn't even start production until mid october and I did end up in the first build week for custom orders in November so I can't really complain. Yours should get to you much quicker!

If your Ford rep hasn't told you already you can track your car as it is being built.

http://www.cotus.ford.com/
http://www.cotusb.ford.com/

Just type either your VIN when it's assigned or on your order confirmation there is a dealer code and order number just find those and use your last name to use the site to track your order before a vin has been assigned. You can use it to get relatively up to date information on your order even including estimated delivery dates and usually notification of it being on the train as well.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Decrypted, I really appreciate the information and advice. It's not that I can't afford to do it, I had actually looked at Magnetic GT with the pp and Recaros. In fact, I really came close to getting it. At this point in my life, family and building a retirement are my main focus; I have the price down to what I'm comfortable with spending. I feel like I am splurging on the seats, and I'm ok with an otherwise base car. I'm also a mechanic, and I'll enjoy modding the car here and there. Thanks again bud, and I really interested in checking the tracking info you posted.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the purchase. Yeah, unfortunately Guard Green and Competition Orange are gone next year. I like them both, but that CO is killer looking.
I've been thinking of buying a S550 and modding the crap out of it. But, I'm waiting for the new GT500 to come out. Hopefully it's a big supercharged V8 with gobs of power and torque.
Again, congrats and good luck! Pics when you get it.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Thanks Tones, appreciate the warm welcome. Yeah, I was disappointed to hear Ford is killing the Guard and Deep Impact Blue for the 17 model year; otherwise, I may have waited for the 17. Good luck on the GT 500, sure to be an amazing car.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Congrats! I have the exact same car as thehunterooo and my recaros look like new as well. I actually prefer the base GT to the premium since I prefer cloth. The only thing I wish the base car had from the premium is the rear valance. Guard is an awesome color, I just wish it was more green.

Separated at birth lol, it is amazing how the cloth recaros have held up, no stretching or loose spots. The mustang cloth seats were also really good in the last gen as well.

Exhaust is prob the first thing I would do, start trying to pick one out now haha. At least now there are quite a few videos for each kind of setup, a year ago there were not too many :(

The 350 wheel is also a very good buy as well if you do not like the stock wheel, plus the stock wheel can be sold as well, I only am out about $80 for mine. Easy to install as well.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Hunter, we must be brothers. I'm currently listening to all the sound clips I can find on YouTube. I am struggling with the decision, I really need to hear them in person; no drone, and no raspy sound for me. I read your list of mods and immediately looked into the GT350 steering wheel, I'm sold.

Dcrypter

Established Member
I highly recommend Kooks exhaust. It sounds absolutely amazing with no drone or rasp to my ears. It is on the pricier side though which would be it's only real downside.

Zodiac

Established Member
Check out Solo Performance exhaust as well. They have 3 variations of the catback for whatever loudness you desire, and no drone thanks to the j-pipes.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Hunter, we must be brothers. I'm currently listening to all the sound clips I can find on YouTube. I am struggling with the decision, I really need to hear them in person; no drone, and no raspy sound for me. I read your list of mods and immediately looked into the GT350 steering wheel, I'm sold.

Haha I meant zodiac but if you get CO then we good :D

JK us base bros gotta stick together! And don't forget pics when it comes in!

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
If you aren't against it for some reason I recommend adding the Performance Pack to your GT. You wouldn't even be able to buy all the upgrades in the kit for $2500 nevermind have them installed. Also it won't negatively affect your order as long as you haven't been assigned a build date.

Other than that welcome to the club! I ordered mine July 2014 and had the pleasure of waiting 5 months for delivery haha. To be fair they didn't even start production until mid october and I did end up in the first build week for custom orders in November so I can't really complain. Yours should get to you much quicker!

If your Ford rep hasn't told you already you can track your car as it is being built.

http://www.cotus.ford.com/
http://www.cotusb.ford.com/

Just type either your VIN when it's assigned or on your order confirmation there is a dealer code and order number just find those and use your last name to use the site to track your order before a vin has been assigned. You can use it to get relatively up to date information on your order even including estimated delivery dates and usually notification of it being on the train as well.

Dcrypter,

I emailed my dealer today to see if I can upgrade the order to the performance pack; we will see...

Dcrypter

Established Member
Dcrypter,

I emailed my dealer today to see if I can upgrade the order to the performance pack; we will see...
Ford only allocates once a week so I think you will still be able to make modifications until Wednesday unless you happened to sneak into last week's allocation but I don't think so.

That said you definitely won't regret it. It is by far the best bang for your buck option on the s550's.

Also the exhausts are getting pretty expensive. For the most part if you want better sound out of it you are going to need to remove the resonator at least ($250-$300) and then probably an axel back which is going to end up making it 3/4 the cost of getting a cat back but you can't go back to stock because you chopped the stock exhaust to pieces.

The best I can suggest is wait for some good sales. I got my kooks cat back last year the first week of may during a sale at Lethal performace and was able to get about $200 off.

Sent from my HTCOneVZW using Tapatalk

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Dcrypter,

I heard back, but I won't know for a couple days. The vehicle was assigned a build date of May 30th, but my Fleet Salesman has some contacts at Ford, and he is looking into adding the Performance Package; fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread