Together, Let’s Take Back the Streets

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Over the past century, the automobile turned out to be the ultimate disruptor to human’s lives and our civic way of life.

In one of his earliest ads, Henry Ford declared that he wanted to open the highways for all humankind. That idea, in action, gave us extraordinary new freedom — to travel great distances and to get around town like never before. This system at its inception had great attraction. It spawned new industries, thousands of new companies, and drove generations of personal and economic growth.

Yet, over time, as our towns and cities were designed around the automobile, roads overtook the community centers. Where people once gathered in the streets and town squares, there are now highways and multi-lane roads. Perhaps worst of all, time we used to spend with each other is now often wasted in congestion and traffic. Thirty years ago, we spent an average of 16 hours in traffic per year. Now, we spend 38 hours. The price we paid for the freedom to move was the creation of a world where roads were built for cars.

Today, the transport systems of most global cities have reached capacity. And yet, more and more of us seek the benefits of great urban centers. Faced with this rapid urbanization, and the pollution and congestion that comes with it, we have to admit that the model of the past is no longer tenable. It’s clear that we need to update cities to more efficiently move people and goods. In the process, we will improve the quality of life for all.

One of the most powerful solutions is to bring our streets into the sharing era and the sharing economy. New mobility technologies, created with people at the center, can help us share our streets in new ways, more equitably, providing more access, for more people, to everything our cities have to offer.

It’s ironic our streets have been left out of the sharing era since they were the original shared resource in urban areas. Before cars, city streets acted as bustling social hubs where neighbors and families could gather, vendors could sell their goods and children could play. Over time, parks and public spaces were sacrificed for parking lots and highways and cities came to be associated with social isolation. Streets comprise one-third of public land in our cities. By developing smart vehicles for a smart world, we can reverse this trend and return these valuable resources to the people.

Now is our opportunity to reclaim the streets for living — to take major leaps in the direction of building a true City of Tomorrow and re-imagine how our streets and cities function much more efficiently. With the power of AI and the rise of autonomous and connected vehicles, we have technology capable of a complete disruption and redesign of the surface transportation system for the first time in a century. Everything from parking, traffic flow and goods delivery can be radically improved — reducing congestion and allowing cities to transform roads into more public spaces.

That is why Ford is taking a user-centered, systems-level design approach to mobility. We need to step back and look broadly at how the overall transportation operating system can help us all lead better, more productive lives. It is not good enough to just implement this new technology without first fully understanding how it is going to make people’s lives better. We need to get this new design right.

How do we do that? We have begun by collaborating with cities, civic organizations, urban planners, technologists and designers around the world to develop new ways of moving people and goods.

The challenge is enormous. We are talking about orchestrating the entire transportation network that is already woven into the fabric of our urban environments and civic life. But it is a task we must undertake because the old system is failing. We will re-affirm our shared humanity and build communities that inspire and support all of us. That is the kind of sharing economy we need. We look forward to sharing more at CES.

https://medium.com/cityoftomorrow/together-lets-take-back-the-streets-6e8e39ffae2c

Voltwings

Established Member
I average more than 38 hours per month sitting in traffic!

We need to focus on telecommuting. There is no need for everyone to go to a central office.

This, i commute 2 hours a day (70 miles, open highway, but still) and my job could very easily be done from home.

You want to grow the economy? Tell everyone they can work from home lol, and now i have another couple hundred i used to spend on gas and "dress clothes."

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
shit, I can be an illegal Alien these days and go to DMV and get a license so I can clutter up more of the hi ways.

wanna make a difference? stop giving illegals drivers licenses and make THEM take the bus or train to work.

Heavily fine and impound cars from those who have no DL or an unregistered car. those type of things are the only REAL things we can do as a society to have less vehicle traffic on the roads. and the enforcement of that would equate to millions of less vehicles on the roads

that article reminds me of a Lying Hillary speech. lots of empty ideas with no real solution....:rolleyes:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
In Ca you can look around for all of 30 seconds and visually see several autos with expired, out of date tags.

I should open up tow yard and get rich. But that would assume the Police would be allowed to do their jobs and impound them.

blk02edge

Established Member
Bout time they make drone commuters for the drones that work in the city. Save gas for people who live in the country

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I hope not. If that's their plan, they're in deep trouble.
Ford's current plan is quite odd. The Fiesta is being killed off after the 2018MY and the Fusion's refresh/redesign was pushed back. Ford is really pushing for this whole idea of being a "mobility company" instead of a car company.

I liked this article from the Auto Extremist:

That doesn’t mean the noise will stop anytime soon, however. We are going to be inundated with tales of a Brave New Auto World by the pitchfork-wielding techno-hordes hell-bent on eradicating the automobile as a symbol of personal freedom, because they view this country’s fascination with and reliance on the automobile in all of its forms as a tragic malfeasance that destroyed our cities and warped our view – and way – of life.

But the reality is almost 180 degrees different from that. Every dimension of the American experience has been shaped by the automobile – the roads we used to explore the vast expanses of the unbridled majesty of this nation (and ourselves along the way); the music that provided much of the soundtrack for those journeys, the roadside attractions and the road food that went with them; the big cities and little towns along the highways and byways; and on, and on, and on. (Talk to anyone who has visited The Henry Ford museum recently and see what he or she has to say. In so many words, it will sound like this: The American experience is the automobile, and the automobile is the American experience.)

http://www.autoextremist.com/current/?currentPage=2

nxhappy

Established Member
it's not that simple. without traffic, life would immediately stop. Where do you think our food and goods come from? Oh that's right, TRUCKS. Tons and tons of trucks.

blk02edge

Established Member
it's not that simple. without traffic, life would immediately stop. Where do you think our food and goods come from? Oh that's right, TRUCKS. Tons and tons of trucks.
Yea, op is too long #didn'tRead but id assume that tradesman vehicles/transport trucks would still exist, just get rid of the mindless joes in honda accords. Cant say I disagree with that, but also why I dont live in the city anymore.

08mojo

Established Member
The article was written by the CEO of Ford. You can now see where the direction of Ford performance is going.

A bigwig at Ford came to talk to our company and he basically said Ford is looking way into the future and trying to be proactive vs reactive. That is clearly evident by the huge push for ecoboost engines and extensive use of aluminum. Autonomous vehicles are going to become a reality at some point in time, so they are also making a huge push in that area.

That said, I did not get the chance to ask him directly about the Future of Ford Performance, but I think there is plenty of excitement to come for quite a while. It may not be in the form of big displacement, NA engines; but rather in the form of weight reduction and small, power dense engines. Thick about the trickle down of technology used in the Ford GT.

I need to take a picture of my morning/afternoon commute and see if you can point out any trucks! The grid lock here is created by 100,000s of thousand of people trying to get to and from the office. I live 10 miles from work. If I leave with everyone else trying to get to the office at normal hours, it's a 1.25 hour drive--both ways. I wish there were bike lanes where I live...It would be an enjoyable 30-40 minute bike ride, but I'd likely die if I tried to ride a bike to work on the street.

CV355

_
Established Member
We are looking at this wrong. We need population control.

Population Control sounds too... harsh

How about self-regulated eugenics? I mean, if they can get estrogen into the water supply that turns the frogs gay, I'm sure they can cause mass sterilization in the same manner. Or have they already?

giphy.gif

ViciousJay

Established Member
I average more than 38 hours per month sitting in traffic!

We need to focus on telecommuting. There is no need for everyone to go to a central office.
Same here, I drive to work to sit here for 20 min then go back home. It takes me upwards of 1.5 hours to drive 30 miles and only 35 back home... it's insane

Users who are viewing this thread