Too much power for a vert?

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
I am planning on getting a coupe Terminator, but if a good deal comes along and it just happens to be a vert I would like to be sure first, so... I would eventually end up putting on a Kenne Bell/Whipple on and just want to get some feedback if that would be too much power and flex the frame. Have in mind that I plan on having FLSFC's on and certain other suspension upgrades, but NO rollcage.

lococobra03

Established Member
I have no regrets and a Whipple. Best time in the 1/8th 7.51@97 1.84 60ft. Going back Friday to improve. With the FLSFC youll be fine. Only problem is we are FAT, but I love letting the top down. Nothing better on a nice night or day..

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I love my 600+ hp vert.
There is nothing better than driving to the track, running mid 10s and driving home with the top down.
It's a convertible, how fast could it be??

-

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
do you have a cobra already??? if not whats the info in your sig.?

I do have the Cobra in my sig, but I am planning on buying a Terminator in the fall/winter/spring. I do like the feeling of putting the top down, hearing the rumble of the exhaust, and getting all the looks of other drivers, but I like the lines of the coupe better and am planning on doing some weight reduction to the coupe.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
I do have the Cobra in my sig, but I am planning on buying a Terminator in the fall/winter/spring. I do like the feeling of putting the top down, hearing the rumble of the exhaust, and getting all the looks of other drivers, but I like the lines of the coupe better and am planning on doing some weight reduction to the coupe.

:thumbsup:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Theres a guy on this board(forget the user name) that is selling his 03 vert. Car has gone LOW 9's in the 1/4, and the doors open and close fine. Id say for what youre going to throw at it, you should be alright!

CobraMac

Established Member
I had 600+ with the whipple and now just bought a twin turbo kit...so there's no such thing as too much! Not to mention have at least 300lbs dropped weight wise in the car too! So it's a ton of fun being able to put the top down and rape pretty much anything out there. Shouldve seen the guys reaction in a lambo gallardo I beat with a buddy in the car and the top down...he about shit himself haha

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I was at 505 RWHP with my vert and it was never enough, let alone too much. Just get yourself a set of full length subs, some good rear springs and maybe a set of Coupe rate shocks and you should be good to go. My vert was little harder to get the hop under control than my Coupe, but once that was cured, it was all good.

romi

Established Member
Silly boy, we can never have too much power can we???:D

Definitely get the vert. With the valleys and hills down by you, doesn't get any better with the top down and making her rumble through the valleys, it's a sweet sound for sure

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're wondering about a 600rwhp+ Terminator vert, also check out Racerat's (Tracy) '03 Sonic Blue vert. Awesome Terminator.

20psirabbit

Established Member
What are you going to do with the car? In case you don't know, if you have a very under mid 13s you need a 6 pt. cage per nhra rules. But then again if you've got. Whippled coupe you'll most like need one as well with 600whp. I wouldn't worry about the body with 600whp.

metaman

Established Member
Just get a nice set of subframe connectors installed and good to go I would think. I have never owned a vert. I would only feel safe in it personally if it had a cage. But I am a safety nerd.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
nothing better than putting the smackdown on some vette owner with the top down

you'll be fine bro..plenty of cars on here are at that range.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Got one here and with the Track only tune pushes 670 to the wheels. Just remember if you're going to run at your track that you'll need a rollbar. Other than that the car will handle what you throw at it. Just need some good subframe connectors.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
lol, some of your responses made me laugh. The chances that I'll actually take it to a drag strip are little to none, so I should be fine then without the roll bar.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I am planning on getting a coupe Terminator, but if a good deal comes along and it just happens to be a vert I would like to be sure first, so... I would eventually end up putting on a Kenne Bell/Whipple on and just want to get some feedback if that would be too much power and flex the frame. Have in mind that I plan on having FLSFC's on and certain other suspension upgrades, but NO rollcage.

You might want to give this a little more thought before you make a decision. You are not being given the whole story here. This is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

The SN95 is a fairly flimsy chassis even with a roof which add a significant amount of bracing to the structure. Without it you are relying on just the floor pan to hold the front and rear end of the car together and sub-frames will do little to stiffen the chassis in torsion. Personally I would not be very comfortable in a vert with a 600 hp engine at speed. Convertibles are not the car of choice for a race car and for good reason. Some people will disagree with me on this and like the option of putting the roof down and enjoy the wide open space a convertible provides. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. For me if I wanted a vert it would be a V6 with an auto where I can take a leisurely Sunday drive, not a fire breathing monster that will do a buck and a half in the blink of an eye. There is something to be said about having a roof over your head.

This subject has been broached many times and your question is valid.

Ask Boosted Cobra what his take is on owning a Convertible you might have a different perspective.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/597959-r-i-p-my-sweet-cobra.html

Pictures of the carnage are on page 5

He is selling off what's left of his car and hasn't posted since. Hopefully he will get back in the game but something tells me it won't be in a vert.

Users who are viewing this thread