Took of my cats what yall think

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
hey guys i took the cats off my bassani xpipe and man is it louder. i have the mods listed below. do yall think i gained or lost power. i can't tell. but do you think i should leave them off or put them back on. i just want the best performance the loudness doesn't bother me.
Thomas

thanks for all the help

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Did u notice any loss in back pressure? When i ditched my cats i was annoyed at how i lost some KICK in the lower rpms, but was happy to feel it up top, pull and scream like a banshee. It took some time to get used too. I can't confirm myself as for power loss..supposedly u lose torque. Maybe someone with before and after can chime in more accurately.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I dont have any dyno numbers to prove it, but I agree with xplicit. I felt the exact same thing. I noticed a low rpm power loss very easily, but the car seemed to pull alittle better up top.

cobra101

Established Member
Thomas, you have the 2.80 RR and a 73.5 gates belt and no idelrs (didn't see idlers in mod list)?

Just wondering. I thought the gates belts ran smaller, I was going to use a 2.85 RR and a 74" gates, what ya think? do you have much or any belt slip?

six speed

Established Member
I think it would help I dyno 433hp 410tq manaflow,chip and bigger air filter. My car is loud too

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
I dont have any dyno numbers to prove it, but I agree with xplicit. I felt the exact same thing. I noticed a low rpm power loss very easily, but the car seemed to pull alittle better up top.

DITTO. Only way to know for sure is a before and after dyno.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD

Time for gears; they worked for me.

bskinner

Cant be any worse than this mercury mirauder i saw tonight that some "Brotha" decided needed straight pipes.......... you talk about f!@king up a nice car, it sounded like total S#!t

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra101
Thomas, you have the 2.80 RR and a 73.5 gates belt and no idelrs (didn't see idlers in mod list)?

Just wondering. I thought the gates belts ran smaller, I was going to use a 2.85 RR and a 74" gates, what ya think? do you have much or any belt slip?

i have both a 73.5 and a 74 gates
the 74 slipped like a mug so i got the gates part number k080733
and i squeezed it on there it takes some manhadling but it will go on. i am gonna get a 100mm tensioner very soon
Thomas

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
well i am gonna dyno it very soon i will let yall know. it is hella loud but man i think i love how freakin loud it is i think i might have lost a little boost since there isn't as much back pressure but not for sure.
Thomas

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Thomas,

I ditched my cats recently. I like the way it sounds, but I found it sounds a little less edgy with the tail pipe baffles in. It looks like in your pic yours are out. Try it both ways and see what you think.

As for torque...I think it works like this.

Being too lean down low hurts torque production. Pulling the cats makes more air flow through, leaning you out down low. Tuning to add more gas should net you more torque than before you pulled the cats off.

I think that's how it works. It sounds logical anyway. The reason it doesn't hurt high end HP is that at higher RPMS the fuel pump is dumping enough fuel to keep up.

Does this sound right to anyone? :shrug:

davidmax

Established Member
The gain will be minimal,what some do (not my shop of course) is gut the cats.With 900 HP my cats gutted themselves and there 3" hi flows.Any thing that allows less back pressure on a forced air car will make more HP.Keeping the cans on help pass emmisions and make for a mellower sound.
Hi flow cats are only needed if it ties the system together EZ and you dont have a welder other wise see if something magical can happen to make the cans empty,I suggest a magic wand,Dave Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread