Tool fans! How do you like the new album?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Just got my tickets to see them when they roll through AZ.

Oh yeah, balcony row A!!!

... f that standing in the pit shit. Ive found I thoroughly enjoy siting down and watching the whole show. :D Yeah, Im getting old. F it.

I feel ya! I've grabbed a box seat for NIN two years back for the same reason.

CV355

_
Established Member
because they were too ****ing long...I like the new Tool album, but cannot for the life of me sit thru and listen to every track for 10 mins, they have always been a little long winded, but this is crazy.

It's not so much that they are long songs, it's that they are repetitively long. I love a good sprawling epic intro (like Parabol/Parabola or Lateralus), but every song can't have one. They do mix it up instead of just repeating the same 2-3 bars, but the changes are mainly syncopation / polyrhythms / time signature changes that only a keen ear recognizes. To most people, they're just playing the same damn 2-3 bars over and over. I'm not saying I don't like Tool, or that the new album is bad, it's just... predictable.

Think "All Apologies" by Nirvana. The end of the song is atrociously bad. My wife punches the power button on the radio after the second "all in all it's all we are."

Turn the dial to the left, you have less repetition, sounds more proggy. Turn it all the way to the right, you get pure repetition and no dynamics.

This is the right way to do a 17 minute song without it getting stale halfway in:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
It's not so much that they are long songs, it's that they are repetitively long. I love a good sprawling epic intro (like Parabol/Parabola or Lateralus), but every song can't have one. They do mix it up instead of just repeating the same 2-3 bars, but the changes are mainly syncopation / polyrhythms / time signature changes that only a keen ear recognizes. To most people, they're just playing the same damn 2-3 bars over and over. I'm not saying I don't like Tool, or that the new album is bad, it's just... predictable.

Think "All Apologies" by Nirvana. The end of the song is atrociously bad. My wife punches the power button on the radio after the second "all in all it's all we are."

Turn the dial to the left, you have less repetition, sounds more proggy. Turn it all the way to the right, you get pure repetition and no dynamics.

This is the right way to do a 17 minute song without it getting stale halfway in:
Good band. Too much influence on Opeth though and that makes me sad.

CV355

_
Established Member
Good band. Too much influence on Opeth though and that makes me sad.

Mikael was always aimed at changing the sound. Steven Wilson did help contribute to it in the Deliverance/Damnation days. Once Heritage and Storm Corrosion came out, I knew their direction would be 60/70 modernized prog from there on out.

Have you heard SW's solo stuff? It's dark.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ill have to check it out.

Dont get me wrong, Mikael can do as he pleases with Opeth. Its his band and they have always made excellent and unique music. Even with how hard prog Opeth went, the quality is still there.

But damn if I dont miss the tone and structure from MAYH to Watershed. I guess I just prefer Opeth to be what they were. Because they were REALLY good at it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
No hyperbole nor embellishing but she is the most untalented, overrated performer I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. There have been a plethora of manufactured, bad "talent" over the decades though by and far she is the worst.

no argument here...I'd rather listen to alley cats ****ing...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Imma just leave this here....

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread