Top10: Reasons Real Men Drive Stick

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Manual cars can make any vehicle fun, but there is a reason why people watch out for stalled auto LS1s and older auto cars.

Each has it's niche.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I am always surprised about how people get bent outta shape with regards to the manual vs. auto argument. Chill the F out.

I converted my Lightning to a manual and will never look back. I was getting bored with the truck and considered selling it because I lost the love for driving. All that power and it wasn't fun anymore. I was given the trans by a friend and made it work. Best vehicle I have owned to date. STAMPEDE3 hit the nail on the head. The manual made my truck unbelievable to drive. No its for sale simply because I could use the cash:(

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...d-manual-lightning-56k-warning-lots-pics.html

MarshallJenkins

I made you buckwild
Established Member
I am always surprised about how people get bent outta shape with regards to the manual vs. auto argument. Chill the F out.

I converted my Lightning to a manual and will never look back. I was getting bored with the truck and considered selling it because I lost the love for driving. All that power and it wasn't fun anymore. I was given the trans by a friend and made it work. Best vehicle I have owned to date. STAMPEDE3 hit the nail on the head. The manual made my truck unbelievable to drive. No its for sale simply because I could use the cash:(

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...d-manual-lightning-56k-warning-lots-pics.html

OMG thats badass, I wanna see vids now!

Antagon

Established Member
That stick shift Lightning is BAD, must be an interesting drive.

Stick is great on the track to me, where I can put 100% of my attention towards DRIVING the car. In the real world, I'm a little busy worrying about the retards I share the road with, along with our terrible roads themselves. Manual just isn't fun for a daily commute.

Of course, I prefer the DSG in my GTI to either :D

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
I just drive stick cause its fun. Never cared whether it made me more of a man or not. Nothing like being the mechanical being of what makes the car go.

Though auto would be nice in 405 traffic.

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
Stick > Auto

And that "rush hour driving" argument against stick-shifts is BS. Only pansies actually believe that.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I hurt ALOT of manual owners feelings at the track in my SC auto GT back in the day. Granted today I own a 5 speed Mach1 and a 6 speed Terminator there is a place for everything. Manual is more fun..period. Manual owns the streets without a doubt. But there is a reason why alot of guys have bought a Terminator and killed the IRS for an 8.8 and the manual for a built auto associated with gears and good stall. You can feel like a man all you want at the track with that manual but you may be doing it in 2nd place against an auto. If you still feel like a man after loosing..so be it. Time and place for everything.-Shane

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Hey, logically "stick and clutch" is becoming old-school considering you can launch and drag more consistently with an auto and the fastest road racers use paddles and sequential shifters. But, nothing beats stick and clutch for feeling connected to your car, especially when you get speed/power shifting, dropping a patch, heel and toe, trailbraking and left-foot braking down. Even makes driving on slowish twisty roads fun. Auto/paddles vs. stick/clutch is like the difference between riffing on a real Strat versus the "Guitar Hero" version.

mineralstangt

Established Member
Hey, logically "stick and clutch" is becoming old-school considering you can launch and drag more consistently with an auto and the fastest road racers use paddles and sequential shifters. But, nothing beats stick and clutch for feeling connected to your car, especially when you get speed/power shifting, dropping a patch, heel and toe, trailbraking and left-foot braking down. Even makes driving on slowish twisty roads fun. Auto/paddles vs. stick/clutch is like the difference between riffing on a real Strat versus the "Guitar Hero" version.

That's an interesting point.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Your Dads telling you stick shift is better etc... well he is right if he is referring to when he was young. Now you cant outshift a good auto but back in his day the automatic transmissions were god awful. I have a Lightning with over 700 at the wheels if I use a higher octane and I love it. I drag race a lot at the track but I also drive it around a lot on the street.

All in all real men drive whatever the F they want.

03cobraFL

Established Member
Lol that was a great article. I really liked this part... ''The automatic car is going to tell you what to do, and ultimately make you its bitch.'' HAHAHA!!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with the streetcar/fun weekend car=stick
racecar: automatic

but everyone here is missing the absolute best of both: drag car/radical street car with a manual valvebody auto...Now thats bad ass.

Most people will never know the joys of it. I switched from a 4 speed to turbo 400 with a reverse pattern manual valve body...as well as a 4500 stall with push button lockup! I could drive it like a manual, hold the brakes and hit 4 grand and nail the lockup=burnout fun. Not to mention catching people at the street lights or going to the track. It's the best of both worlds.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I pretty much laugh at people when they say autos are for girls. I have enlightened many souls and some the hard way. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread