Topic of Debate - Roll Cages more dangerous?

Sizeth3

Established Member
I want to get some opinions on this topic.

I have been involved in drag racing since 16. I have owned a Camaro with a roll bar in it that ran 11.6's. I have seen the roll bar limit drop from 11.99 to 11.49 recently at NHRA tracks. i would love to see it drop again, maybe to 10.99

My question is, take a 2011+ Mustang GT. It has a 5 star rollover rating by NHTSA. It has airbags, antilock brakes, safety out the ass, etc.

Why is the NHRA requiring a rollbar/5 point harnesses at 11.49 in newer cars? I feel like it makes my street car more dangerous to drive on the street.

How can I say in all honesty, that a roll bar, custom seats, and a 5 point harness, is safer than a car with seat belts, airbags, etc, that has probably millions of dollars in R&D/testing to make it a safe car.

I get if someone hacks up their new car, removes all the safety equipment, etc, that's a different story. I get that 66 Nova needs a cage, safe seats, and safer belts, for sure.

But newer, fast cars, I think should get a pass even with mods, to a less easily attainable standard.

evil281

Established Member
I'm not sure fords tests include speeds over 130+ mph.

Let's think about how fast people drive on the street and what these safety features from the factory were built around.

Last edited:

Sizeth3

Established Member
On the flipside, I think it is fair to consider driving on the street with a roll cage and no helmet. That is something I have always wondered about, especially while driving my last car, being essentially surrounded by metal bars in a crash outside of the track.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I can see your point. Hopefully the rules will evolve to reflect this. I think tracks should be more worried about having proper retaining walls myself and definitely no trees close to the track on the big end. Those two stupid things combined are what led to that guy getting killed in a Shelby last year.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member

hand-filer

Established Member
On the flipside, I think it is fair to consider driving on the street with a roll cage and no helmet. That is something I have always wondered about, especially while driving my last car, being essentially surrounded by metal bars in a crash outside of the track.

On the flip side! Well played.

evil281

Established Member
If I remember correctly, 2008 and newer cars only have to run a cage if they are 9.99 or faster since they have improved safety standards.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

However keep in mind, your car was crash tested at 55-60mph. Cars crumble at 100+ mph, and to be honest the cost of a cage is pretty small when you think it can save your life.

The only part that makes me wonder is the use of the word "Unaltered" OEM 08- newer. What do they consider to be altered? x4 tuned? 20'' aftermarket wheels with drag radials? etc. Seems like its open for each track to decide.

ford20

Established Member
They made the rule so that guys who bought their Hellcat or GTR or GT500 didn't have to take their new 60k+ car and have to throw a cage in it in order to run at a track.

Bud

Established Member
I had the NHRA foam on my bars, but always wondered, "Would I want to get hit with a metal baseball bat with foam on it"?

That is my take on it. Foam on a steel bar coming at your head at 60+ mph isn't going to do much. The padding required by tech is designed to work with a helmet, not a bare head. There is risk in everything we do though, just have to decide what you are comfortable with. I wouldn't think twice about putting a 5pt roll bar in though, that's nothing to be able to keep running without getting the boot.

The track here considers the 2008 "unmodified" rule to be stock down to the factory tires. Our track is wicked strict on tech though.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
However keep in mind, your car was crash tested at 55-60mph. Cars crumble at 100+ mph, and to be honest the cost of a cage is pretty small when you think it can save your life.

True dat',, Seems like people have forgotten abut the Car FX nose over from a few year's back. Pancaked that sucker but they did walk away from it.

hallett-car-fx-musta-6w.jpg

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'm on the fence... I feel safe at 140mph in the 1/4, but know the consequences. I would hate to put a bar/cage in and lose interest in driving it. I've made 84 passes so far ranging from 11.20 to 9.80's and they keep letting me come back. (2 different tracks) We'll see what they say if I make it down to BG for NMRA.

Riptide

Established Member
I've made 84 passes so far ranging from 11.20 to 9.80's and they keep letting me come back. (2 different tracks)
Ours also allows no cage under 11.49 with newer cars including ones with after market power adders. Get it under 10.00 and they may be less lenient.

Users who are viewing this thread