Torn belt question (Pic included)

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
I had been having problems with belt squeak with the Gates HD green belt so I recently switched to a Gatorback. So far all has been well as far as the noise issue. I got on the car a little hard today in second and third and started hearing a flapping noise. It ended up being a torn belt. As you can see it is along one rib. My question is...Do you think this was a fluke thing, can this belt not handle a 10 lb lower pulley set-up, or do you think there can be a pulley alignment issue? As anything like this happened to anyone else? Thanks for any info.
belt_zpsb641d632.gif

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Check to make sure your S/C pulley is tight. Once upon a time I had a had a lower that appeared to not be 100% concentric. How long have you had the belt and lower?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like a pulley alignment issue to me. Your last belt didn't have any signs of the edge rubbing? How long ago were the upper and lower installed?

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Didn't notice anything on the last several belts. (They have been Gates HD but developed a squeak after time) The upper has been on at least 7 years. I have had the lower about 2 years. Only had the gatorback belt the last couple of months.

Users who are viewing this thread