Torque Booster Kit - only 8 PSI

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Nothing is wrong with Jlt, I make 10.4 lbs of boost on the torque booster at 6800 rpm. Its a paxton Jlt set up.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nothing is wrong with Jlt, I make 10.4 lbs of boost on the torque booster at 6800 rpm. Its a paxton Jlt set up.

yep,

you could take the cai off at the track, but on the wastegate setup, it's going to make the same #, might spool up a tad quicker, but should work fine

something def going on with this car

lshin037

Established Member
Well...
I tried with the filter off and no change. I tested with my manometer/hand pump setup but it wasn't working. I put the stock 3.6 pulley back on but kept the Gates belt on and moved the idler back to the 4th hole (from the left). Got 8 psi. This is not exactly what I had when I first installed the SC but some things have changed since then and I'm assuming this is normal pressure for the stock setup. But just to make sure, I went out and got a brand new compressor to make absolutely sure it's not a boost leak. Ran into some issues at first. I was hearing air moving through the drivers side PCV so I removed the hose going to the catch can and plugged the valve. I pressurized the line once again and pressure was slowing going up and got my ear right by the tubes. As I hit the 8 psi mark, I hear a leak coming from the passenger side PCV. One of the clamps on the hose going to the catch can was loose and letting air out. I got super excited. I thought I finally solved the mystery. I fixed the line and made another run but it still peaked at 8 psi. But this pressure is normal on the stock pulley, right?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
your at normal elevation, I think you should be seeing more than 8psi, what are you spinning to?

boost doesn't seem to change hardly no matter what you do.

I'd check you bov, see if the seal has popped out and maybe it's staying open a little bit, I've seen an oring pop occasionally and do that

lshin037

Established Member
your at normal elevation, I think you should be seeing more than 8psi, what are you spinning to?

boost doesn't seem to change hardly no matter what you do.

I'd check you bov, see if the seal has popped out and maybe it's staying open a little bit, I've seen an oring pop occasionally and do that

Spinning to 7200-7500. Last time I confirmed a 9+ psi on the stock setup, it was really cold, had cats on, and the possibility of the gauge map sensor being off by 1 (it was in the last few days). I previously changed back to the stock BOV and nothing changed but there is that possibility that both are bad. Thinking about going for the JPC/Tial setup to see if it'll resolve the issue.

Tx5.0

Established Member
I have a JPC Tial, no waste gate, 3.00, no boost leak, and still 10lbs. But I do have black dust aka belt slip.

lshin037

Established Member
I'm gonna do another pressure test and check the BOV again. I thought it was normal since, as stated by 2012csgt, he got 10 psi with a 3.40 pulley. But like I mentioned earlier, the pressure peaks at 8 at around 6500-6800 and stays at 8 until 7200-7500. It should be the BOV as that's the only thing in the line that releases pressure. The part that confuses me is that the pressure peaked at 9.5 when I had the 3.33 pulley. Then again...if the BOV is slightly open, its possible that since the smaller pulley is building boost faster it was letting slightly more air through.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
Not sure if this is a symptom of a bad BOV. When Im accelerating at part throttle, when it gets to around 1500-2500RPM, the BOV starts fluttering and then it goes away as the RPM rises. Is this a bad sign?

lshin037

Established Member
The flutter doesn't annoy me. I just wanted to know if it was a bad thing. How do you guys check for leaks?

I did the pumping air into the brake booster line with a compressor right into the line that where my boost gauge goes to. Do both the PVC ports need to be blocked off? Will too much air damage anything internally?

2012csgt

Established Member
Run both to a catch can
IMG_2268_zpsa8bb8ba5.jpg

lshin037

Established Member
Run both to a catch can
IMG_2268_zpsa8bb8ba5.jpg

Each port is run to a catch can. I had to block off the drivers side pcv port for pressure to build at all. I was getting a slow leak at the passenger side line which I fixed. It was still leaking air somewhere but a lot slower and that's why im wondering if I need to block the passenger side pcv as well. I didn't hear a peep out of the tubes.

2012csgt

Established Member
The PCV has zero to do with building boost. You can block them off I guess, or run breathers instead. I tried the breathers and it spit a bit of oil out of them, so now I just run them both to a vented catch can behind the CAI shield.

lshin037

Established Member
The PCV has zero to do with building boost. You can block them off I guess, or run breathers instead. I tried the breathers and it spit a bit of oil out of them, so now I just run them both to a vented catch can behind the CAI shield.

when I pump air into the brake booster line, air comes out of the pcv. both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread