Tow hooks for '04 Cobra

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
sw2546.jpg

With one of those, sure. Will add about 7 lbs to the rear of the car but it also improves weight distribution slightly. :)

Seriously, it would work. It would just be odd steering the car while going backwards for a lap to get back to the pits though.

That's pretty neat. I figured they could hook onto my chain loop, but that looks stronger. Kinda pricy, though.
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-OR~SW2546.htm

hitch4.JPG

Maynor

Established Member
Any tricks to drilling the bumper support?

Think I may have found a solution that will work with all year SN95's at least. Doesn't require cutting the bumper cover and should clear all heat exchangers etc. I went to a local Corvette place and picked up one of their standard hinged front tow tooks that should bolt right up to the bumper support.

I mocked up what the hook will look like mounted below. The hook will ride about 1/2" higher than shown in these pics. Closer to the upper roof of the lower radiator opening.

Here's a pic of the hook with the offset to clear the bumper cover:
Picture_0052.jpg

The hook will sit higher than this once bolted up but a front view:
Picture_002.jpg

Side View:
Picture_0031.jpg

Lower grill view:
Picture_008.jpg

View just below the bumper support but in front of the intercooler before I bolt it up:

Picture_010.jpg

I should have it bolted up this weekend and will give an update then. It looks like the shop also had an off the shelf rear Corvette tow hook that will also work perfectly on Mustangs. I'll try that after I get the front hook in place.

I bought this hook used so it a little scratched up.

One question: Is there anything unique about the steel bumper support from a drilling point of view? Is it a different grade of metal that will require a unique drill bit to penetrate?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'm bending up a universal tow hook I bought from http://www.rennenmetal.com/ today but I'm going to weld it in place. The steel bumper support is extremely hard. It's probably best to drill it off the car.

Damn right it is. I had to drill 4 smal holes to mount my meth injection pump and it took forever. I broke a few bits too.

Greg, here is a cheaper one. I have one on the back of my Jeep along with plenty of other people so they are great for getting pulled out of stuff.

http://www.montanajacks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=853

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
......I went to a local Corvette place and picked up one of their standard hinged front tow tooks that should bolt right up to the bumper support.

What kind of Corvette place? Was it a speed shop of some kind? Do they have a website? That looks perfect.

I have heard that for extracting a car from gravel or a tire wall, mounting in the middle of the support might cause it to bend, since it's supported on the outer ends. But I think most would just use it for a flat tow back to the pits after a mechanical issue or running out of gas. :eek: Who me?! Never!!!

Thanks Dale, think I'll order one of those.
We can also use it for pulling the kids on sleds while running the Cobra in the snow. :lol1:

racebronco2

Established Member
Think I may have found a solution that will work with all year SN95's at least. Doesn't require cutting the bumper cover and should clear all heat exchangers etc. I went to a local Corvette place and picked up one of their standard hinged front tow tooks that should bolt right up to the bumper support.

I mocked up what the hook will look like mounted below. The hook will ride about 1/2" higher than shown in these pics. Closer to the upper roof of the lower radiator opening.

Here's a pic of the hook with the offset to clear the bumper cover:
Picture_0052.jpg

The hook will sit higher than this once bolted up but a front view:
Picture_002.jpg

Side View:
Picture_0031.jpg

Lower grill view:
Picture_008.jpg

View just below the bumper support but in front of the intercooler before I bolt it up:

Picture_010.jpg

I should have it bolted up this weekend and will give an update then. It looks like the shop also had an off the shelf rear Corvette tow hook that will also work perfectly on Mustangs. I'll try that after I get the front hook in place.

I bought this hook used so it a little scratched up.

One question: Is there anything unique about the steel bumper support from a drilling point of view? Is it a different grade of metal that will require a unique drill bit to penetrate?

The 03/04 bumper cover in relation to the h/e is different then shown above. The h/e is higher then the opening by about 1/2 inch. The bumper support is about 3/4 higher then the h/e which makes the bumper support 1 1/4 inch higher then the bumper opening. There is only about 1/2 inch gap between the h/e and bumper support. The tow hook above will work if it was welded in at a slight angle to clear the h/e and opening. The problem will arise when you have to be towed/ pulled. If they use any upward motion the tow hook will hit the bumper cover possibly damaging it, now if they towed you out with the rope/strap either lower or at the same height as the tow hook it shouldn't be a problem.

Maynor

Established Member
Concur, that hook can only be used for pulling, not lifting the front end up. I'm thinking the hinge will allow for a little upward pulling angle, say, the car sunk into a gravel trap, but it can't be a huge angle for the reason you stated.

So far, knock on wood, all the times I've needed a hook but didn't have one, were for a pull into the pits due to a break down, or winching the car onto a trailer. We'll see how well this works. Its cheap enough to try with some measure of confidence, I'm hoping its the ticket for now.

Greg, the shop is Phoenix Performance. Thankfully, they know how to build race cars better than their website. There is nothing on it about the hooks but they advertise directly on the Corvette road racing forums quite a bit and have many different models to choose from. I'll see if I can find some of their posts.

Steve and Sunburned, thanks for the bumper drilling info. I was afraid of that. I'll see how it goes this weekend.

John

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks John. I can see about contacting the company and asking about the hook.
I have a friend that can weld it on if that looks easier.
Let us know what you run into.

Maynor

Established Member
Just got done taking off the bumper cover and looking at every possible option for a bolt up installation.... no go.

A) The walls of the 1" boxed bumper beam (x2) are too thin to support a bolt through installation. At least in my non-structural engineer's opinion. If the bumper came off teh car, it might be possible but that requires removing the foam bumper, pulling the bumper beam, drilling it and reinforcing the beam where the bolt heads go so they don't dent the beam much when torqued.

Here's a pic (not my car) of what you have to play with for those that haven't seen a lateral view of the naked bumper
tial.jpg

B) You can't really drill the bumper on the car the car since you would need a 3' or 4' long wrench to snake through the bumper to hold the bolt head while putting on the nut to mount the hook. Without removing more front end body work to get access to the top of the beam, it wouldn't be convenient.

Welding might work but given how thin the walls of the beam are... I'd be concerned the beam would yield or rip when the hook is pulled on...

Back to square one with this design anyway. Removing the bumper foam and welding a vertical square plate to the beam, with the hook mounted to that, thru a slot in the bumper cover, is probably the best solution...

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks John. I guess the concerns my mechanic had about mounting to the bumper was because of the thin walls.
But I'm gonna get one of those and see what we can come up with.
Keep us posted.

Maynor

Established Member
I think the bumper will work if you do it the way Sleepless and Racebronco did it. Its just a lot more invasive than I was hoping for. In the end, that's the way I might have to do it. Still looking at options...

David Hester

Established Member
About the center mount....
As you have seen the metal is kinda weak there, bad if jerked, but also if the bar punches into something, it is going probably straight back... back where that expensive cooler is. The bumper support area is probably the best place to ponder attachment.
I know the FR guys stick their's right in the center. But I saw several crashes at VIR this past weekend where there was no bumper left to tow from, but all frame rails were still there.

racebronco2

Established Member
Here are some pictures of my rear tow hook. I welded round tubing to some flat plate. The welds look really good on the plate but the welds look like crap on the bumper support cause i can't weld too good on my back.
imga7156mediumzw5.jpg

imga7157mediumub2.jpg

pkwest

Established Member
I called Maximum Motorsports and asked them where people have put a tow strap. He told me some have gone around the core support by the fender. see maximums reply in below post.

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I called Maximum Motorsports and asked them where people have put a tow strap. He told me some have gone around the core support by the fender. I had some 3" strap laying around and took it to an upholstery shop and had loops sewn on each end of an approx three foot section. I then passed it thru the core support and back thru the loop. I tucked the short end into the steeda air box. I have not needed it but it was simple to do and can be removed easily.

any pictures?

Maynor

Established Member
pkwest,

I don't know that I'd be comfortable pulling a car out of a sand trap or even up on a trailer with that setup. Its clever but no real world use to confirm if its reliable? I just see that core support bending or ripping with even a minor yank...

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
pkwest,

I don't know that I'd be comfortable pulling a car out of a sand trap or even up on a trailer with that setup. Its clever but no real world use to confirm if its reliable? I just see that core support bending or ripping with even a minor yank...

Not to mention busting the bejebbers out of that headlight! :read:

David Hester

Established Member
M-17757-A.jpg

I feel better knowing the FR500's are reinforced with a steel beam.
Same thing could be done with a steel plate between the bumper mounts on older cars. Much stronger than the composite piece. I wouldn't have a problem tugging on it.

Users who are viewing this thread