Toyo R888

MastaAce03

Established Member
After going back and fourth and reading reviews on a bunch of tires out there, I finally settled for the R888. Found some at a really good price considering what they were going for every where else. Attached is a pic if anyone wanted a great deal. Prices you see are shipped.

To those who run them in their Shelbys, any insight would be appreciated. How many miles are you getting on them? I've read a pretty broad range of opinions and I know the terminator guys had a bunch of good things to say about the tire.
IMG_4310.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No experience on a GT500 but I'm picking up a Hellcat Charger this weekend and I'm leaning towards the R888 vs NT555 in rear.
Always hear good reviews from that tire, I've used other Toyos with great results before.
-J

MastaAce03

Established Member
Right on man. Check out that website when you pick some up, I've never seen them priced that low for that size.

And congrats on the hellcat

Islandcat

Established Member
i had the 18 inch version on my car. I liked them although they looked a little stupid cause the size was so low profile. Very grippy and held 630 hp real well.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I've been waiting for some R888R to pop up on here. Maybe not the right sizing? Haven't looked into it much since I don't need tires right now.

barspen

Established Member
My understanding is the R888 (similar to the Nitto NT01 that I run on the track) is great for the road course, but will be a bit noisy, pick up lots of debris and will wear quickly. If you are looking to 'hook' and don't put a ton of miles on them, they should work well for you. If you plan to DD on them, I think you will be lucky to get a few thousand miles on the set and would look for something with higher wear rating.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
No experience on a GT500 but I'm picking up a Hellcat Charger this weekend and I'm leaning towards the R888 vs NT555 in rear.
Always hear good reviews from that tire, I've used other Toyos with great results before.
-J

Jay,

Congratulations on your new Hellcat.

I knew you would be driving one soon and they are currently running some incredible sales and leases on leftover 16's.

I ran 305/35/20 Nitto 555R drag radials on the stock 9.5 wheels and they were a great improvement over the OEM tires. I now run them on 10.5" replica's.

Here is a short video I made running 3.5 sec. 0-60 mph on an old country road with the 305 555R's on stock rims:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well you sold me :)
I had those on my '04 Cobra and love the 555Rs as a 3 season DD.
It is a '16 and the specials can't be beat, I more than likely will buy at nd of lease but no rush on that decision. We will talk very soon.

Back to tires...I thought the 555R wear was acceptable on the Cobra, I'd expect the R888 to be similar?
-J

Booky

Established Member
Well you sold me :)
I had those on my '04 Cobra and love the 555Rs as a 3 season DD.
It is a '16 and the specials can't be beat, I more than likely will buy at nd of lease but no rush on that decision. We will talk very soon.

Back to tires...I thought the 555R wear was acceptable on the Cobra, I'd expect the R888 to be similar?
-J

I ran the R888's on my Cobra and my GT500 and thought they were very comparable to the 555R's. I would get about 8K good miles out of them without any major burnouts.

That is a good price on the 285's I just wish the R888's would be available in a 305/35/20 or even a 315/35/20 size.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just drive with caution. I went through downpours in my '04 Cobra on 555R DRs and I'd expect the Toyo to be better in rain.
The 555R is by far the most forgiving DR in the rain, but I'm used to driving DRs daily, actually safer in everything but rain.
-J

Booky

Established Member
what about if you get stuck in rain ect?

Believe it or not, this is a quick video I took when I drove my 03 Cobra up to Norwalk, OH to CRT performance.
I was running 335/30/18 R888's on the back and the GPS took me on some crappy back roads, covered in snow and slush.
I white knuckled it through the bad areas, but they got me there. So I would not worry too much about rain as long as you don't drive foolish.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

greb87

Established Member
I ran the R888's on my Cobra and my GT500 and thought they were very comparable to the 555R's. I would get about 8K good miles out of them without any major burnouts.

That is a good price on the 285's I just wish the R888's would be available in a 305/35/20 or even a 315/35/20 size.
I run 315 R888's on Forgestar 11" wide in the rear... awesome traction

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That is a great deal. Thanks for passing on he savings OP.

R888s are a tiny bit stickier than 555Rs and unlike the drag radials, they are also GREAT handling tires. You should see about 6-8k miles out of the R888s, unless you are johnny forcing it all around.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Absolutely. I've been helped so much by members on here, I try to post any good deal I can.

MastaAce03

Established Member
What are you guys with the R888 on the rear running on the front? I still have the factory good years up front and pull have these on the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread