Toyo r888r vs. Nitto nt05

sonichedgehog

Established Member
I recently picked up a SB Cobra about a month ago. The car has basic bolt ons (pulley, tune, exhaust, etc.) I make 460/480 to the rear wheels and want a tire that will hook up but not compromise handling. I only drive the car 2-3 days a week in fair weather. The only rain I run into is accidental. I will go to the track maybe 2 times a month, the majority of my spirited driving is on the street.
Can someone shed some light on which tire you would be a good choice. My decision is between the r888r and nt05r, but I am open to others.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
The regular NTO5? If so the R888r is a much stickier tire.

My car came with 590whp and 2nd was useless with the NTO5 summer tire.

sonichedgehog

Established Member
I wouldn’t be opposed to the NT05R. I believe the r888r might be better if I do get caught in the rain compared to the NT05R

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Love my R888s Will be buying them or the R888R again when this set is done

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
The NT05 is the stickiest street tire (200 wear rating) that I'm aware of. Naturally, "R" compound tires are stickier, but don't last as long or work as well in the rain.

badmpg03

Established Member
With your power, I'd pass on both of those. I don't think you need such an aggressive tire as the 888.
The 888 on a 30 sidewall has a good amount of road noise, but if you are stock wheels their 275/40 might be better.
Also, unless you are getting R compound, I didn't like my NT05's or NT01's. I think there is better out there.

I would reccomend Toyo Proxes. I have a 10" rear wheel with a 295/35/18. I have been this one running the past 2-3 yrs, hooks well in 2nd with 550-600whp. I blow off the tires now even in 3rd, but was happy with it back with ported eaton and then my KB. Little road noise and good in the rain too.
The NT01's in the rain was sketchy even limping home at 35 mph on freeway.

Also get a proper size tire for the wheel. Bought my car from a guy running 315 NT05 on stock rear wheel and it was not a safe combo IMO.

Max Performance Summer Tires - Proxes 1
High Performance Sports Car Tires - Proxes T1 Sport

sonichedgehog

Established Member
I actually purchased a set of rears less than a month ago and love them so far. They aren't too noisy and hook up well.

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,231

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
888's And I have tested em on the interstate in an accidental rain shower.

Did VERY good aired down to 26psi with 650rwhp in my Cobra.

32psi for normal driving

I have ran them on both of my Shelby's. Only rear tire I care for on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread