TPMS sensor blow out

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Yesterday I replaced the lower portion of my air dam because the old one was pretty messed up from dropping into a pot hole. Afterwards I went for a shake down ride to make sure all the clips were in place because I did the install on the ground without jacking the car up or anything. On the highway I got a large open spot so I put the hammer down. Pretty decent way into third I heard a very loud pop and things went to shit, shaking and a hard pull to the left. Flat ****ing tire! Fast forward to today and I pull the wheel to find this -

20150627_115630_zpsrd9xwzmy.jpg

Apparently my TPMS sensor ripped and the pressure just blew it the rest of the way out. Not good.
No damage to my wheel, but I can't trust the tire now as the side wall is hammered. I've gone back to my stock skates (goodyears) because I no longer trust my aftermarket sensors. I want to go to the OEM metal sensors. Anybody got them on aftermarket wheels? If so, how long are they outside the wheel? My 702's are 11 inches wide and that puts the tpms sensor very close to the rear sway bar/mount and when I bought my wheels there was some question on clearance and that's why I ended up with the shorter aftermarket sensors.
If anyone could measure their tpms sensors length protruding from the wheel I would greatly appreciate the help.

Last edited:

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I think I got it. Your valves are on the inward facing side of the wheel correct?
I can measure my aftermarket metal stems real quick.. they are 1.5" to the inside of the wheel.

Sensor3.jpg

LEXiiON

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Yes, the edge you see in my picture is the very inside of the wheel. It looks like the aftermarket ones are maybe 1/8 " shorter. Can you post the part number of the one you are measuring in your picture? Thank you LEXiiON, I really appreciate the help :beer:

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
The Metal stems are required for the 2013+ gt500.
The ones I have is schrader 33000 plus the 34000 which are the metal stems.
The 33000 come with the rubber stems and you have to swap them with the metal ones from the 34000 kit.
LEXiiON

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
That happened when it was mounted... unfortunately this happens when they mount the tire and do not have the sensor in the proper position prior to starting to mount.. and the tire bead pushes on the sensor and causes the stem to tear.. only problem is it will hold air unless you move the stem.. it is always recommended to check them prior to putting on the car by moving them a bit to see if they leak ... they will only leak when wiggled.. you may check the rest of them.. chances are they did multiples..

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
The Metal stems are required for the 2013+ gt500.
The ones I have is schrader 33000 plus the 34000 which are the metal stems.
The 33000 come with the rubber stems and you have to swap them with the metal ones from the 34000 kit.
LEXiiON
Thanks, I will look into those.

That happened when it was mounted... unfortunately this happens when they mount the tire and do not have the sensor in the proper position prior to starting to mount.. and the tire bead pushes on the sensor and causes the stem to tear.. only problem is it will hold air unless you move the stem.. it is always recommended to check them prior to putting on the car by moving them a bit to see if they leak ... they will only leak when wiggled.. you may check the rest of them.. chances are they did multiples..
You might be right, but it's been almost a year since I had the tires mounted. Wasn't real happy with the installer so anything is possible.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks, I will look into those.

You might be right, but it's been almost a year since I had the tires mounted. Wasn't real happy with the installer so anything is possible.

I have Dorman 974-066 on my Winter Tire set. They look very short and come with metal stems, too.

Can't measure them, but I attached a pic for your reference. Maybe a good choice, too.

Dorman.jpg

Hope this helps,

LEXiiON

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I have Dorman 974-066 on my Winter Tire set. They look very short and come with metal stems, too.

Can't measure them, but I attached a pic for your reference. Maybe a good choice, too.

View attachment 45090

Hope this helps,

LEXiiON

We are most definitely on to something right there. Thank you very much, you may have just taken one thing off my list of 'shit to figure out' before I get my new tires. Now I'm looking at 315 R888's.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Here are the dormans with a key for reference:

key.jpg

Can't get all the way in, but I hope this helps.

LEXiiON

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
You might be right, but it's been almost a year since I had the tires mounted. Wasn't real happy with the installer so anything is possible.[/QUOTE]

A year .. it should have shown signs at some point if it was what I said.. depending on the amount driven.. like you should have seen tire pressure inconsistency.. but they can be very weird.. because they sometimes only leak if wiggled.. but I would replace all of the stems.. with what the others are showing..

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I was very unhappy with the sensors, anytime I went over 50 they would lose sync and I would get dash lights. I've probably put 10k miles on these wheels since I had them installed. My back left sinks in pressure very very slowly, maybe a pound a month, but I never had a problem with air pressure in my front left. lol, until it went flat, and it went flat fast. I had my stereo way up, to the point I couldn't hear my exhaust, but I heard and felt the tire go. For a second I thought maybe my air dam had come loose and was dragging under the car but things got serious and started pulling left towards the wall. At that point I added air to my bags to bring the front of the car up and I got off to the side of the road. I honestly don't know how I keep getting so lucky.
I've got a pm out to Steve @TF about the TPMS sensors and I'll probably go with the Dorman's because they should easily clear. I've got another pm out to a member about his 315 R888's, since I'll be dismounting my rear tires now may be the time to replace them. I'll probably put the 295 mpss onto my stock rear wheels in the end. I'm lucky I keep all my take off parts or the Shelby would be sitting in the garage..leaning to the left.
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the help.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I have the Dormans on for over 2 yrs now and no issues.
They work as designed.

LEXiiON

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I'm glad nothing got wrecked with the car or the rim. Steve had told me to buy these sensors for my rims I have the sensors on the inside lip and I can try and get u a pic or measurement later on or tomorrow for u. Here's the link from eBay for them.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111498584815?...3D261762740522&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

correct. these are the type to get. not necessarily THIS specific one. but this design.

the issue with the black rubber valve stems is the diameter is too big for standard valve stem holes. when the tire shops go to put them on, the stem often breaks. ive even broken them myself before. the only solution is to open the hole up more (sketchy), use an adapter, or a different tmps, like the one i posted above.

and get this, the oem 13/14 stems, which are $$, are too small. argh! i had someone recently run into that situation. at least thats the info i was given.

paul, the stem didnt hit the brake caliper at all right? it shouldnt since theyre 20s but those black rubber valve stems are really long.

im betting the tire shop managed to actually get them in but damaged them. good enough to hold air but they finally gave out after all the pressure/usage. luckily you didnt damage one of those one of a kind wheels.

only a few people have these exact wheels but efroeh just got them and put the tpms on that i recommend and it seemed to have worked well for him. he's also running mpss.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I think I got it. Your valves are on the inward facing side of the wheel correct?
I can measure my aftermarket metal stems real quick.. they are 1.5" to the inside of the wheel.

View attachment 45055

LEXiiON

these work great. American Muscle used to carry them but then seemed to have switched to the type like the OP has (black rubber). or maybe does both? or back and forth? who knows. i stopped buying them from AM when the black ones showed up.

the sets on ebay work well and are a heck of a price

you only need the 13/14 oem stems if you plan to hit 200mph which mpss are not rated for (i dont think). they were specifically designed to withstand the forces of hitting those speeds. but then you need the right wheel/tire combo. other than that, it doesnt matter. no need to spend $600 on factory tpms (13/14 spec)

efroeh

Established Member
I have those sensors that steve recommend they have gave me the sensor fault light come up sometime it does somtime it doesn't. I got prob around 1500 km on them prob blinked maybe 3 times

Users who are viewing this thread