TR3650 Issue

NEW EDG

Established Member
I've had a weird thing happen to me twice while driving my car. Basically motoring along rowing through the gears and when I put the car in gear and release the clutch it sounds like gravel being thrown around in the transmission. Both times it happened I pushed the clutch in pulled it out of gear put it back in gear and released the clutch and the issue went away and never appeared again. This isn't like grinding gears trying to find the gears this happens when the car is in gear. I know my throw out bearing is shot because I'm getting the blow off valve noises when I shift and the fluid I'm using doesn't like shifting into 2nd when cold but I think those are separate issues and wouldn't cause this sound, correct? Another data point this has happened once in 2nd gear and once in 5th gear so not gear specific. Any ideas?

NEW EDG

Established Member
Sounds like either the release (throw out) bearing or the pilot bearing to me, either way the trans would have to come out
That's my concern. If the trans is coming out I may as well do a T56 swap. Anything worth trying before yanking it all out?

NEW EDG

Established Member
Just a quick follow up I switched from the "secret sauce" combination of synthetic ATF + Lucas Oil Trans Fix to straight Amsoil Synchromesh and this problem has completely gone away as well as the issue of shifting into 2nd when the transmission is cold. I still get the throw out bearing blow off valve noises but the fluid switch alone pretty much fixed any and all shifting issues.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's good news. Amsoil Synchromesh was a good choice. It's amazing how often switching to another fluid fixes some of the shifting issues owners encounter. Back in the day (2003-2005ish), a LOT of Terminator owners were routinely switching out their transmission fluid due to shifting issues.

Users who are viewing this thread