Track day with Golden Gate Lotus Club

macuser27

Established Member
Haven't posted much on this forum, so I thought I'd share my experience. Had a blast in April last year when I went on a ride along at Thunderhill in my friend's Cayman R. I was immediately hooked and decided to "fix up" my '99 GT for light track duties - it's my only car and don't want a harsh ride on the street.

Over the next couple months, I installed camber/caster plates and full length sub frame connectors from Maximum Motorsports.

IMG_1380_zpsre3vjaur.jpg

Replaced the 16 year old struts and shocks with Koni STR.Ts.

IMG_0600_zpsjq5cjqkl.jpg

Replaced eBay springs that the previous owner installed with Eibach Pro-Kits.

IMG_0601_zpsb009adbp.jpg

While I was in there, I replaced the outer tie rods, sway bar bushings, and ball joints with Steeda X2s.

IMG_0599_zpsllmpdbmw.jpg

Replaced front brakes with new Cobra/Mach 13" rotors, reman calipers, along with Hawk HP+ pads, stainless hoses and ATE brake fluid.

IMG_1383_zpsvtg8mmvj.jpg

IMG_1404_zps0v4nbcjg.jpg

IMG_1409_zpsc7ynomyi.jpg

Replaced the almost bald, mismatched tires with Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around and dialed in -1.3 camber, 6 caster and 0 toe.

Signed up with NASA and joined them for my first HPDE at Sears Point in June last year. What a blast! I had a great instructor which helped immensely. I was just beaming all day. At the end, the instructor recommended that seats be my next thing to look at, as we were both sliding around in them the whole time. His right arm was totally bruised from bracing himself in the corners.

IMG_1625_zpsni4t0p7k.jpg

So I invested in Procar Rave seats by Scat.

IMG_2485_zpst8r1wswd.jpg

Then in November, my friend (Cayman R) and I ran Laguna Seca with GGLC. He was in the advanced group, and my instructor in the beginner group. This is my favorite track in the video games I used to play and was thrilled to finally drive it in real life.

Coming Monday, we will be running with GGLC again and I'm super stoked. Doing an oil and filter change on Sunday. Along with flushing the brake fluid and swapping in the HP+ pads.

IMG_2385_zpsuwbjg8uk.jpg

Anyone else here doing HPDE/track days and care to share your experiences?

MFE

Established Member
Sounds like you're doing it right. How do you like those seats?

macuser27

Established Member
Sounds like you're doing it right. How do you like those seats?

They're amazing! A pain to get in and out sometimes, but in combination with a CG-Lock, braces me in great! Without having to go all out with a roll bar/harness setup. Ten times better than sliding around on the stock leather seats. More comfortable too.

macuser27

Established Member
It was so much fun! I was running solo in the Novice group. The car performed great! I on the other hand, was the weak link. Not consistent with my lines and brake points. That can only be improved with more practice I guess.

Also, I have been learning how to heel-toe downshift in weeks prior to the track day and it definitely showed on track. With the heel-toe technique, I was able to be smoother and stabile in the corner entry and thus, exit.

Here are some pictures I took:

My buddy's Cayman R
IMG_2825_zpslo91noeb.jpg

IMG_2826_zpsgyphhcjp.jpg

IMG_2829_zpsvvls6ctu.jpg

IMG_2831_zpspobo75ho.jpg

IMG_2832_zpsjnshcftd.jpg

IMG_2837_zpsmb8deyhx.jpg

IMG_2839_zpsb8czpsoy.jpg

IMG_2840_zpsfbwmusve.jpg

IMG_2841_zpsui0hmw6q.jpg

IMG_2844_zpsofxccjvj.jpg