Track Hardtop?

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Hi as you may or may not know I have a 2013 GT500 convertible. I have a question though. As I have heard on here a few times, tracks won't let convertibles out without a roll bar or whatever. I admit, I have NEVER tracked a car but it sounds like a lot of fun! So I looked up removeable hard tops and found a company in the US named Smoothline that makes them. Does anyone know if adding one would help waive the requirement for a Roll Bar? Let me end by saing that I GET, why the Roll bar would be a necessity, so I don't kill my self and the removeable roof would do little to prevent that if the car actually rolled. I get this is a stupid question in the eyes of those very experienced in the matter, but would that hard top suffice? I wish they made QUALITY hard top convertibles from the factory that would add stability and protection. es IT WOULD ADD WEIGHT, but all you have to do is compensate by adding additional HP and you'd basically be where the coupe versions started!

Fire Away....

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Think you will be ok. A lot of tracks are not that strict on it, especially on a test and tune night for example.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Thanks Devious, I just don't like the whole Idea of tearing up my interior for a roll cage. We will see though. I like the idea of a Test and Tune night. That will get me out there learning and testing out my abilities. I want to have that as a part of my motorsports life. Hell I have even contemplated picking up a cobrajet some day...It will have to be an all stars align type of deal, but that is what happened with my GT500!

Thanks again and anyone else that wants to weigh in please do!

Planeswalker

Established Member
I have a 2011 Roush Vert, heres what I have seen. You need nothing up until a certain time, then you will need a "roll" bar. I got my Roush with their styling/lightbar which counts as a roll bar. Just check with the track around you and see what their rules are.

blacknlte

Established Member
There is a new NHRA rule that says that 2008 and up, stock car unmodified, does not have to have a roll bar/cage.

Myfast70

Established Member
There is a new NHRA rule that says that 2008 and up, stock car unmodified, does not have to have a roll bar/cage.

I don't think that rule applies laterally to convertibles. I'm pretty sure that you'll still need a roll bar after a specified ET

662HP631TQ

Established Member
I don't think that rule applies laterally to convertibles. I'm pretty sure that you'll still need a roll bar after a specified ET

Yeah if that is the case I hope someone makes a damn roll bar that doesn't have to tear up the interior. Remember impossible is a barrier to greatness, I'll pay once someone develops something worth putting in my car. Or I just haven't looked ard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread