Track Pack Rear Diff Leak - ???????

tbakin63

Black Naja
Established Member
Every time I track my car the diff seems to leak and spray. I lost most of my track time this weekend because I don't feel safe running it. Dealer already replaced the gasket. Also added TBS bulletin differential vent tube. NOT working. Some posts talk about a casting problem with the diff cover. JLT catch can won't fit our cars with Track Pack. This is really pissing me off in a major way. WTF?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
My differential started leaking at the differential cooler lines going into the diff cover. I changed my diff fluid and replace the seals. After 200+ miles it seems to be fixed.

$19 each part number DR3Z 6K741 A

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
There is a brass, screw in vent on the top of the diff housing. This was the source of fluid on the rear housing, axle tubes and tank cover on my car. New seals/gaskets did not fix mine. But every situation is different. You might try CobraToy's fix first.
This is what I am running now:
http://rehagenracingproducts.com/Axle-Differential-Vent-Kit-Mustang-Universal-PRO-RR-4022-PRO.htm
Two days at Roebling last weekend and everything back there is dry.
S.

Like Snorman stated there are different places the diff can be leaking.

See if it's wet around the vent (Top of the Diff)
If Yes:
Check the diff fluid level.
Drive the car 40 miles at highway speed.
Run pump for three minutes.
Remove fill plug. (Car level)
Fluid level should be 5mm below fill hole.
Correct fluid level if needed.

If the fluid level is ok you may want to consider install the vent assembly that Snorman has links to.

If the vent is dry:
Check for fluid leaks around diff cooler lines going into cover. The lower line seal was leaking on my car.
If they are leaking replace BOTH diff cooler line seals.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rear-axle-fluid-if-you-have-TP&highlight=diff

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
^^^
This.

From the 2014 Mustang Service Manual.

NOTE: Service refill capacities are determined by filling the axle to a level of 5mm below the bottom of the fill hole with the axle at ride height.

If equipped with a differential oil cooler, Remove the axle plug and fill the axle with 1.89-2.01L (4-4.25 pt) of axle lubricant and a additional 4.0 oz of friction modifier additive, then use a scan tool to operate the oil cooler pump and add a additional 1.10L (2 pt) of axle lubricant and a additional 2 oz of friction modifier and install the filler plug.
  • Tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).

You can operate the differential cooling pump by removing the differential fluid pump relay in the battery junction box and placing a jumper wire between pins 3 & 5.
I would make up a switch assembly consisting of 2 blade connectors , 2 pieces of wire and a single pole single throw toggle switch and keep it in my toolbox for future use. It will also come in handy for operating other pumps in the car.

2013-14 Battery Junction Box 2jpg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread