Traction Control Question on Boosted Applications

Sizeth3

Established Member
Quick Traction Control Related question.

I have posted a few threads regarding installing a Procharger system on my 2013 Mustang GT

20160325_162907.jpg

I am curious, I have been turning my traction control off, as I am concerned as to what the computer is limiting in order to hook back up.

Is it closing the throttle, pulling timing? Is this something I should be concerned about in a boosted application?

Thanks in advance!

5lho

Established Member
It can do alot of things, apply brakes, close throttle, pull timing. None of which is particularly dangerous in a boosted app. My nitrous tune has these all shut off because slamming the throttle closed when nitrous is still being injected with fuel could be bad. You are fine, as the throttle close situation also pulls fuel from the injectors so it can't load up and explode the intake.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
For what it's worth my tuner once told me "cool thing about traction control is it works less as you make more power so leave it on, now go run your damn car!" This is after I told him I was on street tires and afraid I'd get a lil squirly on the track.

AKDMB

Established Member
It completely kills spark and throttle. It does it really quickly too.

Sizeth3

Established Member
It can do alot of things, apply brakes, close throttle, pull timing. None of which is particularly dangerous in a boosted app. My nitrous tune has these all shut off because slamming the throttle closed when nitrous is still being injected with fuel could be bad. You are fine, as the throttle close situation also pulls fuel from the injectors so it can't load up and explode the intake.
That makes sense

_Snake_

Established Member
I found it made the car far less predictable so the first thing I do after starting the car is take all the nannies off.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you turning it all the way off or just clicking the button once?

Come to a stop. Foot on brake. Hold TC button for 5 seconds. That will shut it all the way down.

Sizeth3

Established Member

Come to a stop. Foot on brake. Hold TC button for 5 seconds. That will shut it all the way down.
I do that when I race at the strip, don't really want to do it every time I turn my car on and off though.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Then you'll have to deal with the nannies.

Did you think you wouldn't break a tire loose with 600 hp?

Lol

_Snake_

Established Member

If this was for me, I take it all off. Even though it sounds funny as I'm typing it. Lol

No TC, no AT following those steps.

KushBandit

Established Member
You can also hold your foot on the brakes and double tap the TC button, it activates the "sport mode" that will keep stability control on in case you can't drive :D

rmurer

Established Member
I thought stability control was only turned off if you press the brake and hold in the traction button for 5 seconds with turns everything off.

Sizeth3

Established Member
I appreciate all of the replies, so nobody knows if closing the throttle / cutting spark during the TC process will harm a boosted engine?

AKDMB

Established Member
Can't say for sure, Shaun or another tuner, will have to answer that, all I know is that if it were really dangerous your tuner would have disabled traction control and stability control in the tune, which I have never heard a tuner doing. Roush's and Shelby's wouldn't have TC if it were really dangerous. If you want it turned off permanently, where you dont have to push the button everytime you get in the car then your tuner can do that(set engine displacement to 0 in the torque management settings), except you will have several idiot lights on your dash 24/7.,The only thing I know for sure is that TC and torque management intervention on a nitrous car is dangerous, as said above, you don't want the throttle closing all of the sudden on those cars.

Flcracker

Established Member
I was told by my shop that I should pretty much always take the traction control completely off, unless it's raining, by putting my foot on the break and holding the button down for seven seconds. This way I won't damage the drivetrain should I attempt a long smoky burnout.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
I told you nothing the TC/SC does will damage your car in a boosted application. You'll be fine. Nitrous, like |I said, is different. Yours might be too, if you were running, say, an independent fuel system or meth injection.

Users who are viewing this thread