Trade my G8 GT in on an ST?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Hey guys, i've been wanting a focus ST BADLY ever since i heard ford was going to come out with them. Unfortunately when i was looking for a work vehicle, the ST was not out yet. Now, they are out and i really want one.

This would be my DD, as I travel all over the place doing audits and stuff. I would imagine they are great on gas mileage, handle well, and are very fun to drive.

I use my G8 as my DD now and i've gotten kind of bored with it. It handles ok for a sedan, looks great, and has good power (for stock). I do not really want to dump money into it because it would be an endless money pit just like my mustangs are. The downfalls to this thing are that the gas/brakes are very touchy, the interior is meh, and it's nothing special.

What would you guys do? Trade a 40k mile dark gray G8 GT in on a focus ST or just keep the G8?

TRBO VNM

I don't know much about the G8's, but I would think the ST will give you better mpg and with traveling like you do, might be a good choice.

But with every performance vehicle....mpg depends on how heavy your foot is. From what I have read, people putting an upgraded FMIC on have actually picked up mpg, so that could be an added benefit for you as well.

Obiously the ST would be a nice new car for you instead of a little older car with miles already on it.

Have you gone to test drive one yet? If not, I would and then that might help make your decision.

Mika

Established Member
If you end up keeping your G8, don't do anything more than an exhaust, intake and tune. It gets expensive for very little gains after that. FWIW, the G8 was one of to vehicles I regretted getting rid of, with the other being a Lightning.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
if I kept the G8, i'd do a small cam, headers/midpipe, intake/tune, and add a nice set of wheels. I do not think i'd regret selling it. I had an 00' Lightning and did not regret selling that. I'm thinking about going to go test drive a ST. I'd rather have a used cts-v but i dont know. Focus ST's are badass vehicles

paynecasey

Established Member
Hey guys, i've been wanting a focus ST BADLY ever since i heard ford was going to come out with them. Unfortunately when i was looking for a work vehicle, the ST was not out yet. Now, they are out and i really want one.

This would be my DD, as I travel all over the place doing audits and stuff. I would imagine they are great on gas mileage, handle well, and are very fun to drive.

I use my G8 as my DD now and i've gotten kind of bored with it. It handles ok for a sedan, looks great, and has good power (for stock). I do not really want to dump money into it because it would be an endless money pit just like my mustangs are. The downfalls to this thing are that the gas/brakes are very touchy, the interior is meh, and it's nothing special.

What would you guys do? Trade a 40k mile dark gray G8 GT in on a focus ST or just keep the G8?

Pro's of switching to ST from G8
I think the ST's interior smokes the G8.
Better outside styling
stick shift
decent gas mileage but I've heard of some fall out
better handling.

Con's of switching
lose v8 rumble
ST more complicated to work on

Mika

Established Member
if I kept the G8, i'd do a small cam, headers/midpipe, intake/tune, and add a nice set of wheels. I do not think i'd regret selling it. I had an 00' Lightning and did not regret selling that. I'm thinking about going to go test drive a ST. I'd rather have a used cts-v but i dont know. Focus ST's are badass vehicles

If you put a cam on it don't even bother with a small cam. I went from 17 mpg to 12(all city) with a small cam. If you're going to toss a cam on there go big or keep it stock.

I currently have an '09 CTS-V. I enjoy the V8 IMHO. Not taking anything away from the ST, because its probably one of the few hatches that entertain my thoughts. Go test drive and I think you honestly will be impressed.

NEMES1S

Established Member
When I got my ST I was also looking at getting a G8GT. Since I sold my SRT8 Charger. But after test driving the ST I was sold on it.

kln5014

Jack Stand Hero
Established Member
Personally, I'd keep the G8. I like my Focus ST, but the mileage is not that great (I get 22-23 combined) and front wheel drive is annoying in just about anything except a puddle jumper. However, it does handle well and the interior is decent (ST2).

If you're anything like me, you'll miss having a V8 and RWD.

TRBO VNM

Personally, I'd keep the G8. I like my Focus ST, but the mileage is not that great (I get 22-23 combined) and front wheel drive is annoying in just about anything except a puddle jumper. However, it does handle well and the interior is decent (ST2).

If you're anything like me, you'll miss having a V8 and RWD.

:uh oh: Damn man, its either all go or nothing for you huh? I am up to 26mpg and I only drive like FISHTAIL a little more than half the time. You gotta be trying really hard to get the 22-23.

Zodiac

Established Member
I'd test drive the ST first, I have no experience in one myself but I did come from a G8 GT. It's a great car with an awesome platform and sometimes I regret selling mine to get my Mustang. Either way you are at a crossroads that you can't go wrong with, as both cars are awesome for what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread