traffic light sensors ?

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i was at a red light today with my gf, and heard a firetruck and the signal turned green and my gf almost went while the other traffic was still going... almost a lawsuit?

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Those lines that are in a rectangular shape under the make-shift tar/rubber putty are called ferro-magnetic traffic light sensors.

I have HEARD that if you are a biker and have trouble tripping lights to put your bike in neutral and drop the kickstand down directly on the sensor line. I've heard that it helps SOME...

ModularFan

Established Member
i was at a red light today with my gf, and heard a firetruck and the signal turned green and my gf almost went while the other traffic was still going... almost a lawsuit?

Emergency vehicles have Opti Lights, the light bulb on top of the traffic light flashes when the switch is turned on. on a emergency vehicle.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
As said it isnt weight that triggers them it is inductance of the the iron in your vehicle in a loop very fool proof. Dont waste your time flashing your lights at stop lights it is an IR light that changes them most emergency vehicals have the IR light in their light bar.

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
It depends on which white lines he is talking about. If he's saying the lines that separate the lanes, he's full of shit. If he's talking the stop bars it is possible they are under there. If he means they are actually in the paint/plastic, that's just stupid.

he was talking about the stop line before the crosswalk. now he has resorted to calling my car a "girly" car. doesn't bother me , it's a neon, it has been called worse.:sleeping: and refering to my choice of religion (jediism) saying he hopes the force is strong with me.:rolling:

i expained to him why i put jediism as my religion(it's not really). i put that there to point out all religions are bogus and to have someone prove to me it's not a "real" religion.

anyway, i'm going to tell him, until he shows me proof , i'm done arguing with him.

thanks for your help guys ! :rockon:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Only really annoyance I've had is a couple times on the NJTP the ticket window wouldn't shoot a ticket out. Had to go through the the toll once and pay a lost ticket fee at the next toll, plus the max fee.

Uhhh.... EZ Pass. Cant understand how anyone can live in that state without one.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Uhhh.... EZ Pass. Cant understand how anyone can live in that state without one.

Sometimes easier said than done. Here we were only allowed one per person for a long time, so if you had more than one car and the are in different toll brackets you are screwed. Now you can get one for each vehicle, and my in-laws actually have two for their truck: one for just the truck and one for the truck plus boat.

aaandht

Established Member

I don't have a geezer glide. No hidden place to put it. So I can see it being stolen easily. Especially since I commute to Newark, and wouldn't doubt someone on campus would jack the ez pass. The no ticket thing only happened twice. I have since found out that I could fax a receipt for a refund.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
this.

we have bikers getting killed around here just about everyday. no joke. exactly the reason why i got rid of mine.
Yet bikers in the state want the red light delight law so they can legally run them.
My next-door of neighbor of 7 years (and one of the few I could get along with) ended up getting killed after the bike she was a passenger on got blindsided in an intersection. But after we moved we got some great neighbors for a change. We always end up helping eachother, and it's really nice. She forgot to tell me until the Eagles came last summer that Joe Walsh was her first cousin :rock:.
When I traveled for work I got to experience lots of laws like the red light law. In California the rental car I drove myself and a fellow employee in from LAX to near Fresno got it's passenger side review window taken off riding shotgun during the drive back While sitting in traffic on the highway, a bike came roaring by on the lines (which come to find out is legal there) and nailed the mirror with the handlebars and didn't even stop. Got to the rental car dropoff expecting the "fecal matter to hit the fan" and they were not even bothered by it like it was just a bug smashed on it. Told them what happened, they just said "oh, haha...it happens."

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I don't have a geezer glide. No hidden place to put it. So I can see it being stolen easily. Especially since I commute to Newark, and wouldn't doubt someone on campus would jack the ez pass. The no ticket thing only happened twice. I have since found out that I could fax a receipt for a refund.

I hear ya.....I have mine, exterior one, mounted by HD velcro and just pull it off when I am in areas that concern me. You certainly have brass balls commuting to Newark on a bike though.

mnewxcv

Established Member
dont they use radar too? around here stoplights trigger my radar detector all the time (though only the kind that actually change, not all of them).

1bad93

Established Member
I'll just throw my 2 cents in here since i used to work for a traffic control company and i used to install these types of loops. Crappy job by the way. When you mix that 2 part flexible sealer, it smells like its going to kill all your brain cells.

The loops go between the white lines just like the picture posted earlier. There are special patterns of loops that will detect a motorcycle, but of course they are more expensive to install. And they work on electro-magnetic principles, not weight. A brand new loop, setup correctly should detect a motorcycle, but over time the wires break or corrode, and they dont work as well.

Second type of detector is an infrared camera that you will usually see placed on a pole pointed towards the stop line. Most people think they are red light cameras, but they aren't. These have been replacing loops in the recent years because in the northern states, loops can get torn up by pot holes and plows.

Intersections that change the lights when an emergency vehicle passes, have a small black tube and flashing light placed somewhere in the intersection. Emergency vehicles have a white strobe light that flashes at the correct frequency to trip the sensor and turn the lights green in that direction. There are portable versions of the strobe light that are used for testing of the system.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Nope, not a 2am. I understand the law, my comment was alluding to that the law will be abused.
Well since we don't have all the details on the law we can't say whether it will be abused or not. If the law is only in effect at certain times at night then. how can it be abused?

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Well since we don't have all the details on the law we can't say whether it will be abused or not. If the law is only in effect at certain times at night then. how can it be abused?

You can't see how it would be abused? Do you think lane splitting in CA is always done according to law?

I've lost a lot of respect for bikers around here. I still give them quite a bit of room as I don't really want to be the one to run one over but man, a lot deserve to get hit. They bitch about other cars and how "cagers" should watch out for them and then they run in and out of lanes, ride other car's bumpers, split lanes and even drive up shoulders in bumper to bumper traffic.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You can't see how it would be abused? Do you think lane splitting in CA is always done according to law?

I've lost a lot of respect for bikers around here. I still give them quite a bit of room as I don't really want to be the one to run one over but man, a lot deserve to get hit. They bitch about other cars and how "cagers" should watch out for them and then they run in and out of lanes, ride other car's bumpers, split lanes and even drive up shoulders in bumper to bumper traffic.

All you described is breaking the law. Like I said, if the law states that you are able to proceed after waiting at a red light for two minutes, conditions are safe, and between the times of 11:59 p.m. and 4a.m. where is the room to "abuse" this law? AZ doesn't allow you to cut down lanes, but people still do it. There is a speed limit and people still break it. None of those things are abusing the law, it's all breaking the law. I can't come up with a good example right now of "abusing" a law. But I hope you see my point.

Don't get me wrong though, I sold my bike because all the ****ing pot head, wreck less, tool bag, squids riding around Tucson. Not to mention the copious amounts of retarded "cagers":burnout:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Don't get me wrong though, I sold my bike because all the ****ing pot head, wreck less, tool bag, squids riding around Tucson. Not to mention the copious amounts of retarded "cagers":burnout:

Think I got you. I don't have a bike because 1. I know I can be stupid at times and 2. I know how stupid other people can be at times.

canibus

Established Member
OP: Oh my god, someone is arguing with me on facebook, oh my god.

OP: What do I do guys, help?

OP: He's insulting me, make him stop

OP: WAA WAA WAA

WAAMBULANCE TO THE RESCUE.

Users who are viewing this thread