trans am race video

darreng505

Established Member
Nice work Rob. You were clearly faster than that #37 car...good battle around the 8:30 minute mark. I learned a few tips from your video too.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I had no real interest in passing him. its easier to race out front than in your mirror and there was no long term advantage to being in front of him. its a long race. the two times I pulled out it was because he slowed down or I think in the case of the backstretch, i got a tow from the draft. he had the right blocked and passing on the left isn't really an option. i just drove out there because i could and he would have to look.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
if I had passed him, I would have given the spot back almost right away unless I was able to drive away from him. it may not be the best strategy but its how I am most comfortable. another example of that is my conservative start as opposed to the three other cars

darreng505

Established Member
I can see laying back a little in a long race but keeping pace. At some point you have to reel him in to move up though, yes? Isn't your goal to gain positions? Or just maintain?

Where on the track would you prefer to overtake?

One passing strategy I read that would work well at VIR is keeping some distance back (couple car lengths max) going into oak tree so you can carry more speed through it than the guy in front of you and overtake him down the straight. If you get on his bumper through oak tree that maneuver becomes much harder.

Just stuff I'm reading since I'm a race noob still!

Exciting video to watch. Almost seemed like there should have been bumps in there things were so close.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
trans am races 3 classes at the same time. the TA class is very fast. being the first car in a tight light of slower class cars makes seeing the approaching 850hp cars very hard. its a reason to take the back spot of a two car race. there's also a 3 to 5mph tow from the draft on the backstretch which means saving your stuff by riding there.

in the end, my tires were getting hot and I needed to relax to keep them happy for the end of the race. the way it worked out, he burned off his tires and I saved mine. I tracked him down and would have gotten him on the last lap had I not had an off or been caught by a TA class car in a bad spot on that last lap.

I am trying to preserve 2nd in points right now and the most important thing for me to do is finish all the races.

darreng505

Established Member
Awesome! That just shows all the other facets of racing beyond the race itself. And how they fit together. Very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread