Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

FordFreak

Established Member
How is it that some people say that stock fluid is better and some say aftermarket fluid is better? :shrug:

I think Ford would get away with using the cheapest fluid they could while still using somewhat quality stuff.
So I would think Amsoil, royal purple, etc would be better.

sloopjonb

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
I ended up going with the Royal Purple Synchromax. Night and day difference over the stock ATF.
Same here! Changed over to RP SynchroMax when the car had 1000 miles on it. Big difference in shifting, and it's quieter too. Still shifts very well in the cold too, which surprised me.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Take a look at this.
Tranny Fluid FYI

Here is a quote from that thread.
Originally posted by RJCobra
Immediately after replacing the stock tranny fluid with Redline D4, shifting became much harder for me. This is Tremec's explanation and recommendation, directly from the source:

I have attached a recommended fluid Service Topic that should help. We
do not recommend Redline D4 as a fluid for our T56 transmissions due to
the linings on the rings, it swells the material and causes a hard
shift.

Jon A. Vieth
Product Line Manager

My car shifted great at first, but is now at a point where it is much harder to shift. I hope going back to fossil oil resolves the issue and I don't need to re-build.

Crazee Horse

Established Member
I used Synchromesh in my 97 and it improved shifting tremendously. I have not tried anything in the 04 yet as it is not even broken in yet!

davidmax

Established Member
There all fine products,but I tend to sell and install GM and on loud boxes I like royal Purple,Dave Smilovic

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax
There all fine products,but I tend to sell and install GM and on loud boxes I like royal Purple,Dave Smilovic

I have seen this car in person, shit, nice!!, how much does your car realate Dave to our cars (from the factory), Doc?

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Any thoughts on gear oil for the rear differebtial?

Dont mean to hijack the thead, but post for tranny and rear diff.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
toofast4u said:
Take a look at this.
Tranny Fluid FYI

Here is a quote from that thread.

My car shifted great at first, but is now at a point where it is much harder to shift. I hope going back to fossil oil resolves the issue and I don't need to re-build.

Does it say anything bad about GM syncromesh?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
ATF ONLY. Dexron III is the stock fluid in our T56 transmission.

Doc2003Cobra said:
Gm synchromesh is what comes in our cars stock, correct? Also, is it fully synthetic or dino? Thanks, Doc.

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
I didn't vote because I'm still using the stock fluid. I just wonder how many out there that noticed a big change, was due to simply changing the fluid and not the type of fluid used.

redstaf426

Established Member
I use Mobil ATF,no difference what so ever,I'm thinking about trying out the GM synchromesh,does it need the ford Friction modifier???

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Since I switched to Royal Purple synchromax (manual trans fluid for ATF recommended manuals) the feel of putting it into a gear has changed. Once it's warmed up, it just slips into gear with little effort, like there's some kind of super-lube on the gears so they slide right in.

Stock fluid feels very notchy.

03blacksnake said:
I didn't vote because I'm still using the stock fluid. I just wonder how many out there that noticed a big change, was due to simply changing the fluid and not the type of fluid used.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
my trans shifts very good, so why take a chance on some non recommended oil and end up messing something up? i think sometimes we are tempted to mod things just because we want to, not because it needs it

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Royal Purple Synchromax is a Dexron III ATF, which is recommended. Same with Amsoil ATF, Mobil 1 ATF. People like myself have felt a big difference in gear engagement with the RP Synchromax.

swlacobra said:
my trans shifts very good, so why take a chance on some non recommended oil and end up messing something up? i think sometimes we are tempted to mod things just because we want to, not because it needs it

Users who are viewing this thread