Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
here is my experience. Ive had my tranny out twice, first time I had syncromesh in it, it felt better. Broke input shaft discarded fluid.

Put syncromesh in again, felt good. Added 1 bottle of Ford Friction modifier, and it was noticeably easier to shift.

If you dont have a pump, take off the shifter and poor it in threw there, thats the easiest. Takes right at 4 qts

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
So you used the friction modified version and still put in friction modifier? May I ask why? :??:

My dad works for a local Chevrolet Dealership and when I was there to get the syncromesh I had told one of his co-workers that does all their tranny work what I was up to. First he said he wouldn't do it and then he said if he would he'd run the friction modified version of syncromesh so that's what I got. About 1K miles later I kept hearing how people were having luck with adding XL-3 or XL-7 to the trans (about 2oz) so I tried it and the helped out a lot.

I have a Pro-5.0 that I'm going to try on the car and when I do I'm changing the fluid with regular syncromesh and XL-7 to see if it shifts any different.

Check out this thread at LS1tech, it's pretty good:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131374

-Mike-

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
gregs 03 cobra said:
Where can I find the synocrmesh, 4 qts is the amount and at what mileage do you guys change it?
Greg

You can buy syncromesh at any GM dealer. I usually change the fluid in these transmissions around every 10K.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
gregs 03 cobra said:
Do you pour through the shifter?
You can do it that way or you can fill it from the plug that is located in the middle of the trans on the driver side but you'll need some way to pump it in. You can find cheap little pumps at the local auto parts store.

-Mike-

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
DR. WU 2000 said:
Someone help us out here with how you put in new fluid for christs sake. About to change mine out, need some info please. Thank you for you kindness. :beer:
OK, here's the complete instructions for you guys who haven't been able to read the previous posts:

1. Jack up car (or use a lift) and put it on jack stands. The car should be level.

2. On the lower passenger side of the tranny, pull the drain plug. It is a square hole, and you can just stick a 3/8" rachet in there (without a socket) or use a short extension.

3. While the tranny is draining, pull your shifter. Alternate way is to use a pump from under the car. In that case, leave the shifter alone.

4. After all of the fluid has drained, replace the drain plug (very important).

5. Scoot around to the drivers side and about midway up the side of the tranny is another squareholed plug. Remove it. Shift your catch pan to be under it.

6. Fill the tranny until fluid runs out of the fill hole. Mine took slightly less than 4 qts. When if quits draining, replace the fill plug.

7. Wipe off any drips and put the car back on the ground. Go take a cruise.

8. Put a piece of clean cardboard under the tranny and watch for any leaks for a few days. One or two spots immediately after is normal, but that should stop. If it doesn't, get back under and make sure the plugs are tight and that all dribbles have been wiped off.

9. To check your fluid level, go back to # 1. above, then pull your FILL plug. If a bit of fluid dribbles out, then you are OK. Replace the fill plug and go back to #8. above.

It's so simple, an 8 year old can do it. If you still have trouble, then print out these instructions and find an eight year old to do it for you.

Capice?

gregs 03 cobra

Established Member
Good instructions sans the sarcasm, not everyone is a master mechanic like you. Ever stop and think this might be the first manual car people have owned?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Sorry. The sarchasm is a genetic defect. Also, I'm far from being a "Master Mechanic". Oh wait, that was sarchasm, wasn't it. Well, I deserved that. :shrug:

gregs 03 cobra

Established Member
LOL, it's all good, how often do you change your fluid? Trying to gauge the periodicity. Is a GM dealer the only place to get Syncromesh?
Greg

1kftlbs

Established Member
How do you change the fluid??? - Just kidding - I just read through this entire thread(a good idea) and I saw it explained about 5 times and asked over and over again, lol. I think Im gonna go with the royal purple...

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
1kftlbs said:
How do you change the fluid??? - Just kidding - I just read through this entire thread(a good idea) and I saw it explained about 5 times and asked over and over again, lol. I think Im gonna go with the royal purple...

LOL, my jaw hit the floor. Thank god you were kidding.

jamngamn

NVENM8U
Established Member
Royal Purple Synchromax is what I used. racer17k on Ebay had it $46.00 for 6 Quarts. Best deal I found. I used 4 and 2oz of Wynn friction modifier. Any brand of modifier will work. I love the difference! I hope this helps.

gregs 03 cobra

Established Member
I just looked at that ad, has nyone found a better bang for the buck or it this it? Where do you get the friction modifer from, will advance/autozone/walmart carry it and at what intervals do you guys change your fluid?
Greg

jamngamn

NVENM8U
Established Member
The EBay guy has the best price I found per quart ($7.66 & free shipping) . The friction mod. can be found at most automotive stores or the dealership. Any kind works.

Users who are viewing this thread