Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

fran5238

Established Member
tranny fluid change

Easy way, just drain & use a garden sprayer, fill up with 4 qts of whatever you like & pump up & stick wand into the tranny & wait to it is used up & container empty. NO MESS, NO FUSS FRAN

fran5238

Established Member
tranny fluid

Not thick at all. Just cut the end off of the wand. You can actually use it for 75 - 90 wt. rear end oil. Four quarts might take a repump & it will take about 15 min. to get it in, but no mess. Fran

gregs 03 cobra

Established Member
Received my Royal Purple this week, stopped by Auto Zone to get the friction modifier, they had no clue, went to Advance and got a 7 oz tube of Trans-X Post Trac limited slip gear oil addidtive, that was all they carried, is this what I need to add to the Royal Purple?
Greg

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
RP Synchromax does not require the use of any friction modifiers, just put it in.

If you don't have the Synchromax, then it's not for your transmission. Synchromax is specifically for manual transmissions that require ATF fluid.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Our transmission call for ATF fluid, which means you do not add friction modifier unless you're going to take your chances by putting a gear oil in it like GM syncromesh which is not designed for our specific T56. People have used friction modifier with GM syncromesh with success, but you'll need to change it often since it has a much shorter lifespan than ATF.

Royal Purple ATF is not what you should be using. Royal Purple has SYNCROMAX, a pre-formulated ATF fluid specifically for manual transmission that call for ATF (our cars). Just putting that in will make for slicker smoother shifts. Friction modifier with that fluid... I don't know what could happen, they are 2 different things, ATF is NOT a gear oil. You are adding a GEAR OIL FRICTION MODIFIER. Who knows what it will do.

Mike

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
nice, where can i get some royal purple ATF tranny fluid? and would i have to remove the shifter and scrape up that gasket stuff off again? i have the MGW shifter so it's the gasket sealent they sent.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
damn no luck, the only thing i found was for wrx, evo's. where else can i get royal purple syncormax?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Royal Purple synchromax is Royal Purple synchromax. Doesn't matter what is says it's for, it's all the same. I bought mine off ebay, 6 quarts for $45 shipped. The guy I bought it from has a website, www.karlracing.com. He claims to have the lowest price on royal purple products.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
After a day of driving with the RP Synchromax I can honestly say this stuff helps alot. Cold shifting is still notchy (better though) but when that thing warms up it's like sliding a hot knife through butter, so smooth (and I thought it was smooth before). Definitely worth the $45.

Users who are viewing this thread