Transmission Noise

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
The car sounded fine, no transmission noise, 27K on the clock. Then I started getting a loud rattling noise when the in neutral with my foot off the pedal. The car drove fine otherwise. I was concerned with the noise and found out the transmission sleeve was broken. Pulled out the transmission and put in a steel retainer. All new parts were used when I put it back together.

The transmission is still making a loud rattling noise in neutral with my foot off the pedal. After messing with the clutch adjustment I could not make it go away.

I read a lot of posts of T-56 and the "box of rocks" issue, but the transmission was quiet before the sleeve broke. Anyway I pulled the transmission out again and I don't see anything wrong with any of the parts. I checked the input shaft with a dial indicator and it is within spec.

I am not sure what to do next! Ideas?

MG0h3

Established Member
Does light pedal pressure change the noise?

They are a little noisy. Kindof a rumbling noise if you’re in the garage where it echoes off the wall.

Maybe get it up in the air and listen.

Is it possible that you just weren’t hyper alert to the noise until now?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Yes, some pedal pressure changes the noise. Oh, this is much more than a rumble. It is very noticeable. I should have taken a video, but the transmission is out now.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Something similar happened to a friend. It sounded fine then one day he was taking someone for a ride and the trans started making more noise. He ended up getting it rebuilt and I think third gear had a couple broken teeth. Which is funny because out of all of us he's the easiest on his car.

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
I have been very easy on my car. I bought it when it had 12K or so and now it is about 28K miles. I don't know where to get it inspected/rebuilt locally and shipping it off somewhere to get it fixed could be an unknown cost. I might just get a magnum and be done with it.

MG0h3

Established Member
I have been very easy on my car. I bought it when it had 12K or so and now it is about 28K miles. I don't know where to get it inspected/rebuilt locally and shipping it off somewhere to get it fixed could be an unknown cost. I might just get a magnum and be done with it.

Not sure where you’re at, but my Magnum is going to Hanlon Motorsports if/when it needs a rebuild.

Their customer service is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
I took off the front cover of the transmission and nothing appears to be bad. I used the input shaft to check the pilot bearing and it fits just fine. I checked the clutch disk and the springs are tight and there is nothing loose.

I think I will order a 26-spline input shaft. It comes with a new bearing and race. It's worth a shot. I will have to get a new clutch, but I don't like the Lethal Street Fighter 525 that I put in. The release point is too high. They did not tell me that I it needed an adjustable pivot ball. I will get more widely known clutch kit this time. Wish me luck!

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Regarding the clutch release point I decided to measure like Albatross showed in Clutch/Input Shaft Upgrade

This might be a good thing to do even if it is not a McLeod twin disk. I did the measurements for my single disk clutch and the new clutch/flywheel combo was 7mm taller than stock. I will be putting in an adjustable pivot ball to hopefully correct the release point.

I will be putting the trans back in this week with the new 26-spline and I hope the noise is fixed too.

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
26 spline is in and the loud rattle is gone. I was on the right track of it being the input shaft bearing, but there is more too it. Now there is a fairly loud whine with the clutch pedal up in neutral. Very quiet when the pedal is down. Odds are there is something else wrong inside the tranny. I really don't want to mess with it any more. I am going to pull it out and check for any obvious problems, but it looks like I am going to just get a Magnum.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I want to say mine kind of growls in neutral at a stop. I really haven't heard it since the whole exhaust went on. Third gear whines pretty loud. It's done it for about 20k miles now. The previous owner seemed to think the trans only needed one quart of fluid. Smh.

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Yea, I could tell people it's just the supercharger whine! If it wasn't so loud I would try to go ahead and drive it. Since it is still up on blocks I am just going to take it out (for the third time, ugh).

Users who are viewing this thread