Transmission Question

Mangler

Looking at buying a 03. Obtained warranty/service info and car had transmission repaired at 25K miles in 2007 - output shaft bent, pressure plate, shifter rod, pilot bearing replaced. Car currently has 35K and seller reports no issues. Anything I should be concerned of? If it was repaired under warranty at Ford dealership, trust its ok?

Mangler

The info I received from dealer said - "shifting making noise and hard to put into gear. Found internal trans damage. Disassemble trans found output shaft bearing and case excessive wear. Pressure plate fingers broken causing clutch to ship. Replaced pressure plate, burnt clutch and pitted pilot bearing. Reinstalled trans and shifts normal at this time"
About 2000 miles later in went back to dealership - "disassembled trans, found shifter rod bent and case bushing torn. Overhauled trans and replaced case, shifter rod and all bearings. Refilled with fluids and trans operated normal at this time"

Both were completed under warranty at Ford dealership.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That's interesting. T-56's can take quite a beating before anything breaks. I assume the car has to be pretty close to stock if they repaired everything under warranty. I'm not a trans expert, but based on the damaged items, I keep thinking lots of powershifting are in its past. Although there's no mention of damaged synchros so the puzzle remains.
If there's repair documentation from Ford, I suppose it should be trustworthy. And if the seller is openly providing it after 10k miles of trouble-free driving, maybe it's fine now. Are there any major modifications to the car? Have you driven it?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Sounds like some one who complained and ford did nothing and billed for this.

After seeing how they were on my car back than. And it being me who they tried fn over.

Users who are viewing this thread