Traveling with a CCW

May93

Established Member
I travel occasionally to Wisconsin and have a CCW. It's definitely a hassle in the states (Illinois and Wisconsin) where my CCW is not recognized. I pull over and place firearm in my gun safe located in trunk and magazine in the glove-box. I've heard that most LEO's wont bother or say anything as long as you announce you have a CCW and your just traveling through. My concern though is I'd get that one LEO whose against CCW and If I'm carrying then I'm in serious trouble. If I'm carrying and don't say anything my tag will give it away when he runs the plates. Then they can say reasonable suspicion and search me and the car because tag says I possibly have a weapon when I say I don't. So to prevent any issues I separate the firearm like I mentioned earlier and if pulled over I'll report I have a CCW from Ohio with the firearm in the trunk and magazine in the glove-box. Hopefully someday they will change the law to say a CCW is authorized in all states on your person and in your car when traveling from one destination to the next.

Question for LEO's is have you arrested or ticketed individuals with a CCW who is carrying while traveling through your state that does not recognize the permit they have?

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Did you notice that none of those "nopes" came from California?

What I want to see enacted is a Federal citizens concealed carry permit that is good EVERYWHERE! Schools, churches, shopping malls, and aircraft (with special pre fragmented ammo). Hell, I want it to be respected even overseas.

But I have been accused of being a dreamer.

May93

Established Member
Did you notice that none of those "nopes" came from California?

What I want to see enacted is a Federal citizens concealed carry permit that is good EVERYWHERE! Schools, churches, shopping malls, and aircraft (with special pre fragmented ammo). Hell, I want it to be respected even overseas.

But I have been accused of being a dreamer.

Well Texas doesn't recognize my CCW and neither does California. I ride a motorcycle and take frequent trips on it so having a firearm along for protection is a must. I"d pay additional cost to upgrade my CCW to at least extend to my vehicle and person when traveling. I've looked at purchasing a few other states CCW for coverage that Ohio isn't valid in. Ohio is recognized by 32 states where I think Indiana is over 40. But they don't issue out of state permits for a CCW.

Last edited:

TSHOES

Established Member
I thought Illinois recently changed their laws and they recognize ccw for people traveling through. In past years I have heard that they confiscate your weapon but aren't allowed to do it anymore?

May93

Established Member
I thought Illinois recently changed their laws and they recognize ccw for people traveling through. In past years I have heard that they confiscate your weapon but aren't allowed to do it anymore?

I know Illinois as of 7-9-13 allows CCW's for their people now but not sure about those driving through from Ohio. I definitely don't want my weapon confiscated. I'll keep placing it in the trunk for now and hopefully the rest of the states will get on board. It doesn't seem like too many LEO's on here take issue with it but it only takes the one. Unfortunately if one did take issue they'd be lawfully right in doing so and there wouldn't be much one could do but plead guilty. Below is how Illinois reads and it makes one believe if driving through I'd be alright.

Illinois allows residents of other states carry a concealed firearm in their vehicle if they are can legally carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law.

sled

Established Member
I know in pa when they run your tag it does NOT tell them if you have a ccw. You sure it's different out there?

May93

Established Member
I know in pa when they run your tag it does NOT tell them if you have a ccw. You sure it's different out there?

In Ohio they'll know as soon as they pull you over and run your tag.

Black Sex

Established Member
I have a Iowa CCW permit and 3 of my 5 boardering states don't honor it. One being MN which I travel to a lot to see my mom. Most of the time my pistol stays in the center console on long rides. Some times I forget to unload it, but if I do I usually throw the mag in the glove box and put the pistol under the seat or something. Not sure if thats the proper way of doing it.

May93

Established Member
I have a Iowa CCW permit and 3 of my 5 boardering states don't honor it. One being MN which I travel to a lot to see my mom. Most of the time my pistol stays in the center console on long rides. Some times I forget to unload it, but if I do I usually throw the mag in the glove box and put the pistol under the seat or something. Not sure if thats the proper way of doing it.

I'm thinking under your seat would be looked at differently then in the trunk or glove box. But a pick up truck for example doesn't have a trunk option so I could be wrong! In the States that don't recognize the out of state CCW being presented its technically the same as carrying without a permit so it would probably come down to the LEO stopping you and how they felt about conceal carry laws. Get one against it and its probably going to go down hill quick.

Black Sex

Established Member
I'm thinking under your seat would be looked at differently then in the trunk or glove box. But a pick up truck for example doesn't have a trunk option so I could be wrong! In the States that don't recognize the out of state CCW being presented its technically the same as carrying without a permit so it would probably come down to the LEO stopping you and how they felt about conceal carry laws. Get one against it and its probably going to go down hill quick.

Im usually in my truck so I have no trunk. If Im in a non-compliant state, I definetley don't carry on my side or anything but it's in the truck so I do what I think is best.
And as far as I know Iowa can tell by your tag if you are a permit holder.

Gravik

Established Member
They need a CCW law that recognizes your permit in every state just like a drivers license.

aaandht

Established Member
Why not get a Utah non-resident? You could then carry in WI, and only have to worry about IL.

Also read up on FOPA and keep a copy with your firearm as you travel through less than friendly states. I do that when I travel to Maine(NY and Mass. are terrible). I haven't been pulled over, but a lot of people have recommended it.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
Stopped two guys from Oregon that had CCWs and loaded pistols on their person. I informed them that California didn't recognize their CCW permits, but allowed them to continue carrying. No harm, no foul. I think it's absurd we don't recognize other states CCWs.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
In Illinois it must be unloaded and in a "lockable" case. Take note most of the plastic cases pistols come in have a little hole you can run a padlock through. Case doesn't have to be locked just "lockable".

This info is from a pamplet they put out at the little state ran tourist stops and some sporting goods stores.

Last I saw IL will not recognise any other states, however you can get a non resident ccw (for a higher fee of course, its still IL)

Edit: this doesn't include any "special zones" in IL like Chicago so watch local laws.

Last edited:

May93

Established Member
Why not get a Utah non-resident? You could then carry in WI, and only have to worry about IL.

Also read up on FOPA and keep a copy with your firearm as you travel through less than friendly states. I do that when I travel to Maine(NY and Mass. are terrible). I haven't been pulled over, but a lot of people have recommended it.

I've definitely looked at this option and your right Illinois is expensive.I'm curious is the application and back ground search all that's needed or do I have to take their CCW course? In Ohio its a 12 hour class. Time for some researching on my part!

Stopped two guys from Oregon that had CCWs and loaded pistols on their person. I informed them that California didn't recognize their CCW permits, but allowed them to continue carrying. No harm, no foul. I think it's absurd we don't recognize other states CCWs.

I like your logical approach. I hope they realized how lucky they were. Different LEO could have meant a bad day for the both of them.

In Illinois it must be unloaded and in a "lockable" case. Take note most of the plastic cases pistols come in have a little hole you can run a padlock through. Case doesn't have to be locked just "lockable".

This info is from a pamplet they put out at the little state ran tourist stops and some sporting goods stores.

Last I saw IL will not recognise any other states, however you can get a non resident ccw (for a higher fee of course, its still IL)

Edit: this doesn't include any "special zones" in IL like Chicago so watch local laws.

I've got the type of case you describe plus a steel case that locks automatically when closed and then unlocks by reading your fingerprint. I'm starting to see more and more of the local laws by those areas that are anti-gun. It's about the equivalent to a speed trap where your meant to be caught.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member

I don't think I would do anything with those two guys either, but I wouldn't let them continue carrying. They would gave to atleast lock their guns in the trunk or something similar.

There's just too much liability. What if these guys drive away and get into a shooting somewhere? Questionable or not, you may get sued by both the victim and suspect. It's not all that different than allowing someone who is intoxicated to drive off because they were right at the threshold.

Users who are viewing this thread