Travelling to Mexico in April, did you guys get all of these vaccines before going?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
The wife and I are going to Mexico in April for eight days to attend a friends wedding.
Neither one of us have been to Mexico before, so we were unaware that all of these vaccinations were suggested before travelling.
For those that have been to Mexico recently, did you get all of these vaccine shots before going, or did you travel without them?

-Hepatitis A
-Hepatitis B
-Influenza
-Measles
-Rabies

For those that went without any vaccines, were you fine, or did you contract anything?
We are staying at the Moon Palace Golf & Spa Beach Resort in Cancun, and don't plan on leaving the resort.

Thanks! :beer:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
If you are not vaccinated for Hep A, B and Measles you should be regardless if traveling to Mexico. The influenza maybe. I would pass on the rabies vaccine personally. If I got bit by a stray dog in Mexico, vaccine or not I'm going to a hospital to get treated.

nxhappy

Established Member
wtf? no, you don't need any new shots.

VERY important: do NOT drink any tap water, or anything made with it (margaritas etc). You WILL get a bug. Drink only labeled bottled water. Bring bug spray when outside, you don't want those bastards biting you. Eat at nicer looking places. You don't want to eat at the hole-in-the-wall place. Also do not eat any raw or uncooked food. It's a good idea to bring alcohol wipes and sterilizer for your hands. Always wash before eating.

Kevins89notch

Established Member

VERY important: do NOT drink any tap water, or anything made with it (margaritas etc). You WILL get a bug. Drink only labeled bottled water. Bring bug spray when outside, you don't want those bastards biting you. Eat at nicer looking places. You don't want to eat at the hole-in-the-wall place. Also do not eat any raw or uncooked food. It's a good idea to bring alcohol wipes and sterilizer for your hands. Always wash before eating.

****, might as well just vacation in LA and eat at upscale mexican restaurant then.

OP, ignore this guy. You're staying at some resort where all the workers will speak English, and they are going to make your trip as American as can be(sadly). Eat whatever you want, and short of drinking from the sink, drink whatever you want.

I did 9 days at a hostel in Playa del Carmen and lived off street vendor tacos and homemade agua de horchatas....and was fine.

Kel

Established Member
****, might as well just vacation in LA and eat at upscale mexican restaurant then.

OP, ignore this guy. You're staying at some resort where all the workers will speak English, and they are going to make your trip as American as can be(sadly). Eat whatever you want, and short of drinking from the sink, drink whatever you want.

I did 9 days at a hostel in Playa del Carmen and lived off street vendor tacos and homemade agua de horchatas....and was fine.

Agree with Kevins89Notch...heading down there Monday for a week in Riviera Maya, can't beat the all inclusive especially with the Peso/Dollar exchange right now. Enjoy and don't sweat it!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Dude, read. He's staying at a resort.

And don't eat raw food? If you don't eat the ceviche in Mexico, why even go?

Machdup1

Established Member
Traveling prepared > Traveling

The vaccines won't hurt you, but might prevent you from catching something that has long term consequences. That is a no brianer.

You are going to a polished up version of the third world so being potentially exposed to disease is part of the game.

Tourists getting sick in Mexico is not uncommon, I speak from experience. Take the shot and go and have fun.

If you do get sick, ask for the hotel Doctor who should be able to help with normal conditions.

Heuristic

Established Member
Most of those shots you should already have, lol. Also, as long as you stay in the hotels you should be fine water wise. I did leave Mexico with gastroenteritis and I think it's from when we went to downtown Cabo. We went to a night club and I put their ice in my drink. It's the only source of water that I don't know where it originated from. Traveling back from Mexico was, rough. I spent a lot of time in the airplane's bathroom a long with barely making it to my connecting flight. #Shits

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Never got shots to go out of the country. Been a few times to Mexico and never had a problem. Alot of the resorts now have water filtering systems setup at the actual hotel. Id still stay away from drinking from the sink but everything else should be fine.

PS. listen to everyone above. The food is amazing. Street tacos are some of the best ever. Ceviche is seriously on point.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
We stayed at the Moon Palace and had a great time. No problems with food or drinks, and there is plenty of it Lol. Also you can hop on the hotel bus and they take you down town. There is 4 more palace resorts down there and you can party at all of them with your wrist band. The Beaches are better down town with that light blue water. Its not like that down south at the moon palace. The golf is awesome but watch out for the alligators Lol.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I travel to Mexico every year for vacation in Cabo San Lucas. I have never once gotten vaccinated and never once gotten a bug from drinking or eating anything. That myth is largely not an issue since Mexico's tourists spots became Americanized.

If you go far off the tourist routes and get in to some serious local places, you may want to watch what you eat or drink, but otherwise, don't worry about it.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
If you go far off the tourist routes and get in to some serious local places, you may want to watch what you eat or drink, but otherwise, don't worry about it.

You always walk a couple blocks away for better food.

I ate at this blue restaurant with the bars over the windows:

ugcZAv1.jpg

Nachos con pollo y agua de jamaica(made with local water I'm sure)

e1wT7Ci.jpg

I think I paid 50 pesos and there were free chips and salsa too.

oldmodman

Established Member
Just bring a gigantic bottle of Pepto Bismol. Instant run stopper. At least it works for me. Last time i was in Mexico (Ensenada) I ate all the street vendor crap and had that "funny feeling" on the second day.

But I had been taking a big hit of Pepto every morning and was fine within an hours. And the bug never came back.

Stay away from the Mexican whores. That crap might not be fixable. The stuff you get from the drunk American college girls is easy to cure. Stay with the domestic stuff.

coposrv

Established Member

What's the point in going? I worked in the center of the Dominican for a few months and managed just fine.

allister

Established Member
I got a 24 hour stomach bug (norovirus) when I went to Cancun. I blamed it on not washing my hands before eating at the buffet style restaurant on the resort after touching all the spoons. I don't think it was the water. I went to Cozumel one day while on a cruise and didn't get sick from drinking Margaritas all day there, nor did I get sick until my 3rd day in Cancun. I didn't get any vaccines either, but better to be safe than sorry

nxhappy

Established Member
a resort doesn't mean shit. Trust me, don't drink the tap water. Washing your hands is the most important.

Users who are viewing this thread