Tremec now has their own brand of manual transmission fluid

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Yeah, they are ridiculous. Like Ive said before even the 50s, 60s and 70s 3 and 4 speed Borg Warner and Muncies shifted way smoother and faster. Maybe I might drain out a pint of the Tremec mtl and add some Lucas trans fix. At this point I will try anything.

Yeah man, I agree. I've had lots of those old trannies, and they all shifted smooth and fast, assuming all the internals were good.

My theory with the 'notchy' shifting so many of us have with the big Tremecs is that the rotating mass of the clutch discs (most of us seem to have twin disc nowadays) is substantially more than the old single disc clutch setups that we used back in the Muncie days. More clutch disc rotating mass is gonna put more strain on synchros, and thus the 'notchy' feeling when we try to shift a Tremec like a Muncie. Thoughts???

FIREBALL

Established Member
So you guys with the magnums, how do they shift, are they smooth shifting as I have heard?

52merc

Established Member
I've still got the OE Clutch in the car. I'm sure my old 68 F100 had a clutch that was just as heavy, if not heavier. It originally had a three-in-the-tree and it shifted better then my 3650. When the column shifter wore out, I put a Hurst floor shift in. Back in the day, my girl friend (now wife) used to snuggle up close on the bench seat and shift the gears when I told her to.

I think it all has to do with the material the blocker rings are made of, but that is just my opinion.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yeah man, I agree. I've had lots of those old trannies, and they all shifted smooth and fast, assuming all the internals were good.

My theory with the 'notchy' shifting so many of us have with the big Tremecs is that the rotating mass of the clutch discs (most of us seem to have twin disc nowadays) is substantially more than the old single disc clutch setups that we used back in the Muncie days. More clutch disc rotating mass is gonna put more strain on synchros, and thus the 'notchy' feeling when we try to shift a Tremec like a Muncie. Thoughts???

I'd say it's more about the tolerances. The newer transmissions have the tighter tolerances so they're less forgiving if you hit the gear a little less than perfect. A couple years ago I had a Muncie out of a 69 Vette rebuilt. It had a stock style clutch and a Hurst shifter. I honestly didn't think that trans felt as positive as my T-56 going into gear. You could tell it was a "looser" trans. And that was right after the rebuild.

A lets not forget leverage. Everyone says the older transmissions were easier to shift. Well, look at the length of the shifter. Hell, the chrome stick that stuck up through the console in that Vette was close to a foot long. Now we have shift handles that are a couple inches long. So yeah, it's going to take a little more effort to shift through the gears.

Maybe I'm just numb or I just don't know better. But in my time I've driven a buddies 54 Chevy Apache with a 4 speed, a 67 Camaro with a Verti-gate shifter, a 56 Ford 2 ton dumb truck with a split rear end, and other odds and ends. So I think it's safe to say I've dealt with a manual trans or two. But I've never considered any of the transmissions in my late model Mustangs notchy or hard to shift.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread