Trilogy Blower kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lidio

I haven’t had as much time as I would like to post here and be more active but I thought I’d sit down and throw around a few words about the Trilogy blower and a pic of the latest customer’s car we did.

As many may know the Trilogy blower consists of an Eaton M-112. Jerry and his group of people have done an awesome job of engineering this kit for our beloved MM’s.

I’ve been with Jerry on this deal since its conception over a year and half ago and couldn’t be more proud to be a part of it. Jerry and his blower kit is for the most part the sole reason I bought a MM for myself, and what I can look forward to hopefully by next spring. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the car to begin with and would still have owned one I’m sure. But being in my position and the demand’s I have for over all performance… it’s the combination of the MM to begin with and the Trilogy blower that really brings it all together for me.

Jerry and his guys have made some revisions to the kit in the last couple of months which include a production Ford intercooler reservoir and a final version of the inlet elbow that’s now cast and coated instead of hand made and polished. It truly looks production now.

The beauty of the Eaton on these cars is not so much the horse power that it adds, but the amount of good feeling usable torque off idle all the way to 6000+ rpm’s. On average the trilogy equipped cars make about 380 to 390RWHP with the kit put on the way its intended to be at about 9.5psi of boost.

Some of Jerry’s competitors are offering Centrifugal type blowers for the MM’s. (I’m only going to say this here because in other forums it won’t fly, might not here either) I’m a big fan of Centrifugal type blower’s, always have been in the Mustang seen. But in my opinion their out of place in heavy vehicles that already lack lots of low end torque with small motors and big breathing heads.

Jerry’s blower can be put onto a MM with litterly no other changes and even though the RWHP number isn’t heroically big to some. It’s the amount of progress it makes from off-idle all the way up is where it pays off.

While the centrifugals are waiting to slowly spool and make boost linier to RPM. The Eaton is already cranking hard in the: low-mid… mid… and upper mid-range. This is why Jerry’s kit doesn’t require a loose torque converter, and overly big gears in the rear axle. Granted bigger gears in the rear do enhance the Eaton’s performance and probably a slightly looser torque converter would help too… They are not at all required with the type of stump pulling low end grunt these make with the Trilogy blower on them.
And not to get to technical but by having the MASS-Air meter placed in the boosted side of the blower, (which some of the centrifugal guys do) this can lead to drivability problems as well. They don’t always have drivability problems at first but eventually little drivability stuff comes out when you get past a hasty “WOT only test drive” in one with a blow-thru MAF.

Loose converters with big gears in the rear start to make these cars more of a “race car” then a refined well balanced adult like performance car. Loose converters can also make a car with the lock-up feature seem clunky under certain conditions because of the amount of slippage that needs to be locked or controlled when the EEC-5 tries to lock-up when required.

Also there are many out there that believe the bigger is better theory when it comes to exhaust too. There’s a reason that the MM’s exhaust is little and restrictive.
Back pressure makes low end torque. Most don’t want to hear this but why else would Ford make a good chunk of the MM’s exhaust 2” not 2 1/4'” like all the other 4.6L equipped performance cars. It’s because some back pressure helps produce low and mid range grunt by not over scavenging during the exhaust stroke/overlap period and taking some of the intake charge with it and not filing the cylinder as efficiently.
When you go from the stock exhaust in a MM and go right to a full 2.5” system… yes it will pick up some HP at the high peak RPMs but typically there is a very noticeable amount of throttle response and grunt lost in the low and mid area. This isn’t usually talked about because it can only be felt and measured by your ass in the seat and most dyno operators dyno cars in third gear from 3000rpm and up so you don’t see the problem that happens with the torque from off idle to about 3000rpm’s.

When the ’96 mustang first came out with 4.6L 2-valve… it had six catalytic converters and a full 2 ¼” exhaust. We knew lots of people who ran off and put full 2.5” systems on those cars w/o cats and immediately complain that the car felt slower and would then proceed to go back to the stock H-pipe and all its cats. We instead offered a custom 2 ¼” H-pipe with two cats and found it to be a good blend of not to restrictive and still added some good HP’s up top and didn’t kill all the low end torque. While the rest of the world produced 2.5” H and X pipes only.

Sorry about all the rant…

Any questions about the Trilogy kit can be handled by Trilogy or my self by calling our shop.

Thanks

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
Lidio said:
I haven’t had as much time as I would like to post here and be more active but I thought I’d sit down and throw around a few words about the Trilogy blower and a pic of the latest customer’s car we did.

As many may know the Trilogy blower consists of an Eaton M-112. Jerry and his group of people have done an awesome job of engineering this kit for our beloved MM’s.

I’ve been with Jerry on this deal since its conception over a year and half ago and couldn’t be more proud to be a part of it. Jerry and his blower kit is for the most part the sole reason I bought a MM for myself, and what I can look forward to hopefully by next spring. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the car to begin with and would still have owned one I’m sure. But being in my position and the demand’s I have for over all performance… it’s the combination of the MM to begin with and the Trilogy blower that really brings it all together for me.

Jerry and his guys have made some revisions to the kit in the last couple of months which include a production Ford intercooler reservoir and a final version of the inlet elbow that’s now cast and coated instead of hand made and polished. It truly looks production now.

The beauty of the Eaton on these cars is not so much the horse power that it adds, but the amount of good feeling usable torque off idle all the way to 6000+ rpm’s. On average the trilogy equipped cars make about 380 to 390RWHP with the kit put on the way its intended to be at about 9.5psi of boost.

Some of Jerry’s competitors are offering Centrifugal type blowers for the MM’s. (I’m only going to say this here because in other forums it won’t fly, might not here either) I’m a big fan of Centrifugal type blower’s, always have been in the Mustang seen. But in my opinion their out of place in heavy vehicles that already lack lots of low end torque with small motors and big breathing heads.

Jerry’s blower can be put onto a MM with litterly no other changes and even though the RWHP number isn’t heroically big to some. It’s the amount of progress it makes from off-idle all the way up is where it pays off.

While the centrifugals are waiting to slowly spool and make boost linier to RPM. The Eaton is already cranking hard in the: low-mid… mid… and upper mid-range. This is why Jerry’s kit doesn’t require a loose torque converter, and overly big gears in the rear axle. Granted bigger gears in the rear do enhance the Eaton’s performance and probably a slightly looser torque converter would help too… They are not at all required with the type of stump pulling low end grunt these make with the Trilogy blower on them.
And not to get to technical but by having the MASS-Air meter placed in the boosted side of the blower, (which some of the centrifugal guys do) this can lead to drivability problems as well. They don’t always have drivability problems at first but eventually little drivability stuff comes out when you get past a hasty “WOT only test drive” in one with a blow-thru MAF.

Loose converters with big gears in the rear start to make these cars more of a “race car” then a refined well balanced adult like performance car. Loose converters can also make a car with the lock-up feature seem clunky under certain conditions because of the amount of slippage that needs to be locked or controlled when the EEC-5 tries to lock-up when required.

Also there are many out there that believe the bigger is better theory when it comes to exhaust too. There’s a reason that the MM’s exhaust is little and restrictive.
Back pressure makes low end torque. Most don’t want to hear this but why else would Ford make a good chunk of the MM’s exhaust 2” not 2 1/4'” like all the other 4.6L equipped performance cars. It’s because some back pressure helps produce low and mid range grunt by not over scavenging during the exhaust stroke/overlap period and taking some of the intake charge with it and not filing the cylinder as efficiently.
When you go from the stock exhaust in a MM and go right to a full 2.5” system… yes it will pick up some HP at the high peak RPMs but typically there is a very noticeable amount of throttle response and grunt lost in the low and mid area. This isn’t usually talked about because it can only be felt and measured by your ass in the seat and most dyno operators dyno cars in third gear from 3000rpm and up so you don’t see the problem that happens with the torque from off idle to about 3000rpm’s.

When the ’96 mustang first came out with 4.6L 2-valve… it had six catalytic converters and a full 2 ¼” exhaust. We knew lots of people who ran off and put full 2.5” systems on those cars w/o cats and immediately complain that the car felt slower and would then proceed to go back to the stock H-pipe and all its cats. We instead offered a custom 2 ¼” H-pipe with two cats and found it to be a good blend of not to restrictive and still added some good HP’s up top and didn’t kill all the low end torque. While the rest of the world produced 2.5” H and X pipes only.

Sorry about all the rant…

Any questions about the Trilogy kit can be handled by Trilogy or my self by calling our shop.

Thanks

With all the s/c mud slinging going on here lately, I though I'd post this since it was a contibuting factor in my desision to go the Trilogy route. This is a must read regardless of your choice of s/c.

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
I personally plan on purchasing the Trilogy for my Marauder. I like the OEM look of this unit, and the low end torque up to 6,000 rpm is a bonus. I doubt I will ever go higher rpm.
(just bumbed at the mud slinging)

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
It's good to see you over here, Lidio!

I'm glad to see Trilogy is not resting on their laurels, and continue to make improvements to the kit. I can't imagine it looking more factory than it does, but I'll take your word for it. I'm with you on the centrifugal blower thing. I want my power in the basement. The ONLY aspect of the stock Marauder I liked was it's upper RPM power. Once it gets moving, it performs quite well. The problem is getting two-plus tons "up and at 'em."

I look forward to seeing you in August! Man, we're gonna have a great time! :beer:

bigslim

Established Member
tallboy said:
It's good to see you over here, Lidio!

I'm glad to see Trilogy is not resting on their laurels, and continue to make improvements to the kit. I can't imagine it looking more factory than it does, but I'll take your word for it. I'm with you on the centrifugal blower thing. I want my power in the basement. The ONLY aspect of the stock Marauder I liked was it's upper RPM power. Once it gets moving, it performs quite well. The problem is getting two-plus tons "up and at 'em."

I look forward to seeing you in August! Man, we're gonna have a great time! :beer:
Look at the date of the thread.

klmore

Established Member
In my mind there is no doubt that the Trilogy kit is a well thought out kit. I have a great deal of respect for Trilogy Marauders and the company that produces it.

If it had been cheaper I may have one on my car. Not to knock Jerry or anyone at Trilogy it's a simple supply vs. demand on a limited run car.

Anyone with a Trilogy is doing well. :beer:

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
bigslim said:
Look at the date of the thread.

D'OH! [Thanks, Slim.]

Althought, the past few kits we've installed HAVE had some changes made. The blower belt tensioner bracket and some of the pulleys are new designs. I've also noticed that my blower looks a little different than MarauderMikes does. I gues it's one of those things that's in an ever-evolving state.

I wonder how we resurrected such an old thread. [?]

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
Would anybody like to buy a set of genuine Chinese ivory handled cutlery set?

I will throw in a free set of chop sticks.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
Old Thread Alert Alert Alert

tallboy said:
I wonder how we resurrected such an old thread.

Sorry Tallboy, my bad! I didnt alert you guys this was an old thread. It was too bad it got buried.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
maraudernkc said:
Lidio, makes some nice points and Trilogy does make a great kit but so does F.I.T./Procharger.

No one ever talks about pricing because it's not allowed to compare but let's compare.

Trilogy Blower $6000.00
Lido Install $1800.00
Total $7800.00

F.I.T./Procharger $4800.00
F.I.T. Install $500.00
Total $5300.00

That is diffrence of $2500.00. That's alot of coin in someones pocket.

You can buy alot of converters, gears, swaybars and Ginsu Knives etc. for $2500.00.

You make the choice.

I suggest you become a vendor here on SVTP if you want to continue these sort of posts. Just a suggestion, no flames bud. I wouldnt be surprised if the mods come down on this. Besides, then you can have your own forum here.

MikesMerc

Established Member
maraudernkc said:
No one ever talks about pricing because it's not allowed to compare but let's compare.

Trilogy Blower $6000.00
Lido Install $1800.00
Total $7800.00

F.I.T./Procharger $4800.00
F.I.T. Install $500.00
Total $5300.00

That is diffrence of $2500.00. That's alot of coin in someones pocket.

You can buy alot of converters, gears, swaybars and Ginsu Knives etc. for $2500.00.

You make the choice.

Not too mention this is very slanted. C'mon now, shame on you Greg :nono:

There are a bunch of guys that self installed their Trilogy kits and it cost them nothing. Not to mention that there are others that do the install for less than $1800.

Trying to wrap up the $1300 difference in installation costs in your example into a direct cost difference comparision between the kits is VERY misleading. I would have never thought you'd post this kind of thing. It kinda insults the intelligence of everyone reading your post don't you think?

The real difference between the kits is the $6000 versus the $4800 is $1200. That is still a good chunk yes. But a complete comparison of exactly what's inlcuded in the kit is required by the consumer as well so they can decide if they are getting exactly apples to apples.

Then after all that, you need to compare what kind of boost and performance each base kit provides for the price. I know I sound like a broken record, but there have been bone stock Marauders with nothing but the standard Trilogy kit in 12s....on stock rubber over a year and a half ago. I've yet to see any centrifugally blown marauder do this.

Which is really the point Trilogy guys drive at. I beleive, and I always will, that a heavier car is served best by a roots blower. That's hotrod 101. That's why Lidio's post is still so relevant. The opinion that the Trilogy roots based kit might indeed be the best choice for those that want the maximum performance with no other mods is hard to refute. This is given the results of ALL centrifugally blown versus roots blown Marauder data we have....which is very very significant at this point.

There is not doubt that the FIT kit is cheaper...and it does make a ton of power. And I think on a power to price ratio, your kit roxors! That's a key point for sure. But many folks still beleive (based on tons of already accumulated roots vs centrifugal data) it takes a few choice supporting goodies to make a very heavy centrifugally blown car as fast (or often times faster), on average, at the track then a roots based kit. I know this is hard to accept, but its hard to ignore the data in front of us.

I wouldn't run from this basic hot rod truth, but embrace it. Putting a centrifugal based kit along with a good stall converter and gear can result in some blistering performance which is very often times faster than roots folks. I just wouldn't tell anyone they had an $2500 extra bucks to do those mods when price comparing the kits.

Last edited:

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
MikesMerc said:
The real difference between the kits is the $6000 versus the $4800 is $1200.

Putting a centrifugal based kit along with a good stall converter and gear can result in some blistering performance which is very often times faster than roots folks.

Mike to be fair if a price point is to considered, since it has already been brought up now,

The difference between the two kits is $1200.00 now. To also be fair the vast majority of consumers will pay to do the install. That price at it's lowest point is $1000.00. The Procharger costs $500.00 to install, an additional savings of $500.00 for a total of $1700.00 which is realistic.

Greg does refer to Lidio's install as he does charge $1800.00 and it is his thread (with many parts of I do not agree with but I will not use a slanted accusation).

If one were to talk about those who would do the install themselves, the Procharger is much easier to install, non-intrusive to the engine, and can done in 5-6 hours.

What can one buy for $1700.00?

$700.00 can buy a PI 3000 Stall Converter plus install $300.00.

The remaining $700.00 can be put toward gears.

If your assertion is correct that a Centrigual car needs these additional parts , the savings does allow them to be purchased and still have a couple of hundred bucks to pay for the shipping.

It is my opinion that it is too early to tell what a stock Marauder with just the Procharger kit will do since there are no kits on a bone stock Marauder and it would take a few at the track to get an idea. I do think with conviction that number would be low 13's, with a hit in the 12's periodically, consistent with Trilogy times. There are Trilogy cars that have broken 12's with just the kit. As more Procharger kits get sold and track times come in the future will tell.

I really do think were all going round and round with all this stuff. Both kits are producing great power numbers and times. I think it is all exciting and a great hobby.

The street is where the real action is.

Last edited:

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BigMerc said:
he's been hanging around Tmac too long

Both of these posts were extremely civil and matter-of-fact based on personal opinion. That is uncalled for and creates the bullshit I think is trying to be avoided here. Come on, give it a break :beer:

Last edited:

MikesMerc

Established Member
tmac1337 said:
Mike to be fair if a price point is to considered, since it has already been brought up now,

The difference between the two kits is $1200.00 now. To also be fair the vast majority of consumers will pay to do the install. That price at it's lowest point is $1000.00. The Procharger costs $500.00 to install, an additional savings of $500.00 for a total of $1700.00 which is realistic.

I just do not agree with this. The price difference between the kits is $1200...period. I know the Trilogy kit has everything needed to do the install right down to the zip ties. I only assume the FIT kit is this way too. That means that no additional money MUST be spent to get either kit installed. Installation is the users choice. Shopping for a good price on that, or doing it themselves, is the users choice.

For example, if a FIT customer that did not do thier homework spent $2000 on having the kit installed by some local yocal, would that $2000 be considered part of the FIT kit cost? Should FIT be blamed for only having limited installation centers that charge $500? Should the cost of travel and accomodations to get to a car to the recommended FIT installation center that charges $500 be added in to the cost of the FIT too?

See what I mean?

The best you can argue is that due to a simpler installation procedure, if the customer elects professional installation, the cost to do so may tend to be cheaper. That's about as far as it should be pushed. Anything more looks intentionally misleading in my book.

Again, you also have a good number of Trilogy guys that did the install themselves and paid nothing. Not a cent. The whole kit can indeed be installed with simple hand tools. So, its just the customers choice to pay more.

So, apples to apples, the price difference between the kits is a $1200 difference. That's a fact.

Also, no one has really discussed the completeness of the FIT kit either. I can only assume its just as complete as the Trilogy kit (and comes with all the nice stuff like a super complete, color instruction manual in a nice binder, a boost gauge, etc). While some of these differences might be small, they need to be considered by the customer to measure the value on a true apples to apples basis, no? The Trilogy kit is marketed as a "premium" kit that has these small bells and whistles and should not be penalized in a simple cost comparison that does not recognize these small, but nice, benefits. Apples to Apples is the only way to compare.

If one were to talk about those who would do the install themselves, the Procharger is much easier to install, non-intrusive to the engine, and can done in 5-6 hours.

I agree with you 100% here. Having installed two centrifugal based kits on my own cars with my own hands in the past, I must agree that the install should be easier on the FIT kit. This is a good point.

Although I would never select a SC kit over the difference of a few hours of install (as something as serious as a SC kit shouldn't ever be thought of as a rushed project anyway), the installation time, and ease of installation is definitely something that should be considered by the customer.

Your point is quite valid.

If your assertion is correct that a Centrigual car needs these additional parts , the savings does allow them to be purchased and still have a couple of hundred bucks to pay for the shipping.

Agreed. And I'd certainly tout that fact. The savings between the kit prices can indeed be used for additional mods that enhance the centrifugal based kit....ie stall and gears. However, its $1200 that needs to be used. But that's still enough savings to cover most of the higher stall and gears.

It is my opinion that it is too early to tell what a stock Marauder with just the Procharger kit

I respect your right to your own opinion, but consider this. Even though there is only a handful of FIT cars are out there, the times posted so far are dead nuts in line with the other centrifugal based kits with the same mods on the car. Although there are some differences among the centrifugally based kits, power delivery characteristics are defined by the centrifugal blower design itself. Accordingly its quite easy to extrapolate FIT performance trends from our current performance database on centrifugal based kits on the Marauder. Like I said, even the limited results of the FIT kit is falling right in line with what we have already seen with other centrifugal based kits.

I really do think were all going round and round with all this stuff. Both kits are producing great power numbers and times. I think it is all exciting and a great hobby.

Agreed!

I don't mean to get away from that fact either. I just like fair comparisons. Although it may seem unfair for FIT to have to face the huge momentum and (sometimes zealous) customer enthusiasm from Trilogy guys, FIT must continue to take the high road. The FIT guys need to stress the real and concrete benefits of the FIT kit (price to performance ratio and the ability to make bigger power on the high end), and just admit its weaknesses (needs help off the line with a heavy car). Trilogy has its strengths (big power down low which roxors on the street, and and an OEM fit n finish), and its weaknesses ( less top end power potential and a higher sensitivty to blower temps).

You see, the truth sets us free:D

Last edited:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
Nicely said Mike. Hope your not going to need your flame suit for the other replies. Credability comes in time. You cant develop a kit, sell....what...8 of them..:shrug:... and expect everyone to be "Hooray Procharger".

I am still puzzled by the direct attack on the Trilogy. Nobody from Procharger wants to go after the Vortech, Nitrous, or Turbo MMs??? Ca'mon guys, conquir one, conquir all!!!! Go for it, be the best in the group!!! Now that would be interesting.

MikesMerc

Established Member
Defyant said:
Nicely said Mike. Hope your not going to need your flame suit for the other replies.

I hope not either. I might own a Trilogy kit, but I am trying to be as fair as I can be on the subject. I have owned several supercharged cars and I have no loyalty to brand or blower design. All my previous SC cars were centrifugal based units (of several different brands) which I loved and all of them fit my intended application perfectly.

The bottom line is that there are indeed significant differences between roots vs centrifugal blower applications for the Marauder. That does not make one better than the other, but there is certainly a "best fit" for the given application depending on what the customer wants out of the car. The customer needs to uderstand the true strengths and weaknesses of each kit then compare them to what he/she wants to achieve.

One kit does not fit all, so understanding how each kit makes power is the key to the decision process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread