Trilogy Equipped Marauders

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
wildbill said:
It sounds like this will be a purchase in the near future for me. You said that Carfixer installed it. Is it very hard to install? I am assuming that you remove the existing filter box and air flow tube to the throttle body and attach the new one, with a bracket for securing it. The increase in boost was automatic, correct? I mean that is what it is now. Easier air flow, so you get more of it. Right?? I feel that since I have gone this far (with the supercharger) what the hell is the difference with an air charger. That is small potatoes by comparison. Congrats on yours. :rockon:
It's not hard to install. Took Carfixer about 20 minutes. Your assumptions on the install are correct. The boost increase was automatic. This is money well spent. K&N includes a guarantee that the kit WILL increase horsepower. You will not be disappointed.

mpearce

NATCA Member
Established Member
Even though I'm not supercharged, I DO have the K&N cold air kit. I like how solid the whole kit is. It doesn't move at all, even with me tugging on it. It's got a bracket that holds it solidly in place, and the fit and finish look wonderful. Ive compared it to other cold air intake kits that don't have a bracket, and are easily movable even after installation...they just lay there. I'm glad I chose the K&N, I like it, and thats all that matters. Plus...the new WOT sound is much more beefy!

-Mat

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
mpearce said:
I like how solid the whole kit is. It doesn't move at all, even with me tugging on it. It's got a bracket that holds it solidly in place, -Mat
That can be a bad thing though. One board member told me that he was having a problem with his because the seal around the throttle body opening kept breaking due to the side to side movement of the engine under torque. I'm not sure if his issue with that was ever solved, or if that was an isolated case. Just something to watch out for I guess.

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
BillyGman said:
That can be a bad thing though. One board member told me that he was having a problem with his because the seal around the throttle body opening kept breaking due to the side to side movement of the engine under torque. I'm not sure if his issue with that was ever solved, or if that was an isolated case. Just something to watch out for I guess.

The K&N bracketry bolts to the engine, so if the engine moves, the K&N moves with it.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
tallboy said:
The K&N bracketry bolts to the engine, so if the engine moves, the K&N moves with it.
Oh, I see. But even if it bolts to the engine at one point, at the other point the front of the tube is secured to the air filter, and is the airfilter side in any way secured to the inner fender wall/wheel well?

Last edited:

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
BillyGman said:
Oh, I see. But even if it bolts to the engine at one point, at the other point the front of the tube is secured to the air filter, and is the airfilter side in any way secured to the inner fender wall/wheel well?

The bracket bolts to the end of the driver's side valve cover and the other end is bolted to the K&N just under the MAF. It does not bolt to the inner fender. Anybody having the problems you described on a Marauder does not have it installed properly.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
tallboy said:
The bracket bolts to the end of the driver's side valve cover and the other end is bolted to the K&N just under the MAF. It does not bolt to the inner fender. Anybody having the problems you described on a Marauder does not have it installed properly.
Okay Chuck, thanks for the explanation.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I made a small bracket for added support. It attaches to the rubber mount where the air box bolted up too. Granted it may not carry a well known brand name like K&N, but it gets the job done and I'm happy with my choice. And I saved alot of money :)

maraudernkc

Procharger Kit #0
Established Member
Why did Trlogy not put a twin screw blower on the Marauder? You guys would have been able to support alot more RWHP as guys start going to forged motors down the road.

MikesMerc

Established Member
A few reasons. But the two most notable were hood clearance and reliability. A twin screw (lysholm) whould not fit under the stock hood. Reliability was an issue becuase the M112 is enough to get a stock motored Marauder into the 500rwhp range. That's already well over what the block can handle. So, while the twin screw would have been nice for the few serious edge racers, it would have been overkill for a majority of the target market. You don't want to sell a kit the grenades motors in stock form:D

That said, Trilogy has a little surprise coming....OOPS did I just say that ;-)

Last edited:

wildbill

Established Member
I'm going with the K&N

What I like best about this site is a question is asked like mine re: the K&N air charger and I get quite a few responses. I really mean that. With all the responses and input I am able to see quite a few aspects of past experiences. The explanation of the filter not being air tight because of movement of the engine is something I didn't even consider. But then the explanation that it is bracketed to the engine and moves with the engine is the answer I am looking for. I am hoping to put this together this weekend and enjoy yet another MOD to my Marauder. I have a buddy with a 2000 911 Cabriolet and I want to see where we all stand, but he won't take the bait. His brother has a 1999 911 (no cabriolet) and he wants to see what a Marauder is all about. He has never heard of one. We are getting together in a few weekends. It should be interesting. On a side note. I was reading the most recent Auto Week where in the Dodge Charger article it mentions the limited production Marauder would have trouble performing with the Charger. Perhaps a non S/Ced one. Our trilogy kit Marauders I think would eat it up. I also saw for the first time a 300c SRT-8 the other day. Real good looking car. However, I have an extreme bias against Mopar in general. I think it would be a close one against it. Any feelings on that?? Lets discuss......I'll check back and see where this goes. :rockon:

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
wildbill said:
What I like best about this site is a question is asked like mine re: the K&N air charger and I get quite a few responses. I really mean that. With all the responses and input I am able to see quite a few aspects of past experiences. The explanation of the filter not being air tight because of movement of the engine is something I didn't even consider. But then the explanation that it is bracketed to the engine and moves with the engine is the answer I am looking for. I am hoping to put this together this weekend and enjoy yet another MOD to my Marauder. I have a buddy with a 2000 911 Cabriolet and I want to see where we all stand, but he won't take the bait. His brother has a 1999 911 (no cabriolet) and he wants to see what a Marauder is all about. He has never heard of one. We are getting together in a few weekends. It should be interesting. On a side note. I was reading the most recent Auto Week where in the Dodge Charger article it mentions the limited production Marauder would have trouble performing with the Charger. Perhaps a non S/Ced one. Our trilogy kit Marauders I think would eat it up. I also saw for the first time a 300c SRT-8 the other day. Real good looking car. However, I have an extreme bias against Mopar in general. I think it would be a close one against it. Any feelings on that?? Lets discuss......I'll check back and see where this goes. :rockon:

Bill, a very good friend of mine owns a Dodge dealership. I have yet to drive a Hemi Charger, but I will do so soon. My buddy says they're no slouch. I like the Charger, but I need to find out if I like it well enough to own one. My car's best time in stock form was 15.3, I'll bet a stock Charger could beat that easily. I have no Mopar bias. I like GM, Ford, and Chrysler. I still think of Mopars as American cars, and that's what I like.

EDIT: Congrats on th K&N decision. You'll love it! I got mine from Summit, but there's a speed shop in Miami still selling them on E-BAY for $239.00

Last edited:

maraudernkc

Procharger Kit #0
Established Member
hmmm! What's Jerry up to? :idea:
That said, Trilogy has a little surprise coming....OOPS did I just say that

MikesMerc said:
A few reasons. But the two most notable were hood clearance and reliability. A twin screw (lysholm) whould not fit under the stock hood. Reliability was an issue becuase the M112 is enough to get a stock motored Marauder into the 500rwhp range. That's already well over what the block can handle. So, while the twin screw would have been nice for the few serious edge racers, it would have been overkill for a majority of the target market. You don't want to sell a kit the grenades motors in stock form:D

That said, Trilogy has a little surprise coming....OOPS did I just say that
;-)

wildbill

Established Member
Bill, a very good friend of mine owns a Dodge dealership. I have yet to drive a Hemi Charger, but I will do so soon. My buddy says they're no slouch. I like the Charger, but I need to find out if I like it well enough to own one. My car's best time in stock form was 15.3, I'll bet a stock Charger could beat that easily. I have no Mopar bias. I like GM, Ford, and Chrysler. I still think of Mopars as American cars, and that's what I like.

EDIT: Congrats on th K&N decision. You'll love it! I got mine from Summit, but there's a speed shop in Miami still selling them on E-BAY for $239.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tallboy : 06-06-2005 at 10:41 PM.

TallBoy,
Growing up we had a 1977 Volare wagon with the slant six. By the time that thing died it was a slant 5 and the transmission was gone. Maybe a few too many nuetral drops had something to do with that. A stupid question? I just installed the K&N air charger. Mine sounds really loud. Is this really what I am going to have to deal with. I mean there is a loud whistle, that does not go away. It sounds like it is at the air filter. No air leaks. If so, this is not what I was looking for. My goal is to keep this a sleeper until wham, see ya. With that making that whistle, I am just not sure. Let me know.

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
wildbill said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tallboy : 06-06-2005 at 10:41 PM.

TallBoy,
Growing up we had a 1977 Volare wagon with the slant six. By the time that thing died it was a slant 5 and the transmission was gone. Maybe a few too many nuetral drops had something to do with that. A stupid question? I just installed the K&N air charger. Mine sounds really loud. Is this really what I am going to have to deal with. I mean there is a loud whistle, that does not go away. It sounds like it is at the air filter. No air leaks. If so, this is not what I was looking for. My goal is to keep this a sleeper until wham, see ya. With that making that whistle, I am just not sure. Let me know.

WildBill-something's wrong. There should be NO whistle at all, at idle or any low-RPM driving. Mine is dead quiet-no noise whatsoever. Sounds like something isn't seated right. If you have no luck, PM me and I'll give my phone #, maybe we can figure something out.

Users who are viewing this thread