Trouble Tonight While Data Logging at WOT?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I finally got my alternator back from Start' n Charge and put it back on so I could resume logging for my tune from LaSota. After the 3rd WOT log I noticed a loud whirling sound so I pulled over and opened the hood. It was so loud it hurt my ears. I shut the car off and checked the idlers thinking it may be a bearing, and looked everything else over. I could not see anything so I started it back up and it was still there. After listening to it again it seemed to be coming from the SC. I decided to nurse it back home and after about a minute of driving the sound went away.
When I got home I popped the hood and it seemed to be quiet other then when I give it some throttle the SC wine is more pronounced then before. No loud whirling though. If it isn't one thing it is another. lol. I guess I will be pulling my SC off and checking it. Good thing is my Alternator is working great now and putting out steady voltage through the RPM range.
Does this sound like anything that has happened to anyone here?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
You could try removing the front belt to see if the sound is still pronounced. Or remove the front belt engine off and spin the blower by hand. Hopefully it's just a bad idler...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
^^^You have to make sure the wb is plugged into the handheld and configure the wb in Livelink as analog 1.

cj428mach

Established Member
Damn Alan, Sorry to hear it. If you need a hand or anything let me know.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
You could try removing the front belt to see if the sound is still pronounced. Or remove the front belt engine off and spin the blower by hand. Hopefully it's just a bad idler...

Yeah that is what I'm going to do tonight. I was to upset last night to mess with it. If I had the funds I would just buy a TVS now. lol

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
how are you logging AFR with livelink im still trying to figure it out :read::mj:
what wideband are you using?

I am using the Aeroforce unit. You have to enter as Anolog 1 for example, then when you click okay and the graph comes up right click on anolog and enter the values.

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
I am using the Aeroforce unit. You have to enter as Anolog 1 for example, then when you click okay and the graph comes up right click on anolog and enter the values.

Where did you get the FireWire adapter? Or how did you hook up your wideband to the sct handheld?

big dad

Established Member
If you have an Eaton on it check to see if the upper pulley walked into the front blower snout. If the front snout shaft is protruding past the pulley that's a sure sign that it walked in.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I bought a regular Firewire cable, cut one end off and put a mono (2 wire) mini plug on it. Then I used the yellow wire from my Aeroforce wide band and chassis ground to a female mini pin plug and mounted it under the dash by the OBDII port. So when I Data Log all I do is plug cables in.
Just a side note the wires in the fire wire cables are super small, like a strand of hair. I is a PITA to install the mini plug on. I made a compression fitting for it, so it would lock down on the outer cable. I purchased everything from Radio Shack.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
If you have an Eaton on it check to see if the upper pulley walked into the front blower snout. If the front snout shaft is protruding past the pulley that's a sure sign that it walked in.

I know the front snout has always stuck out a little past the BF hub. Isn't it a tapered fit? How can it walk back on the shaft?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Mine was also a bit pushed in no homo...had to use the puller to get it perfect. The FireWire is a bitch to work with. I think lethal sells a FireWire cable that has much thicker strands.

big dad

Established Member
I know the front snout has always stuck out a little past the BF hub. Isn't it a tapered fit? How can it walk back on the shaft?

This happened to me back in 05. I had a 2.93 Reichard Racing pulley which is aluminum and after 3-4 pulls datalogging it moved in on the shaft. The cure was a Metco steel hub that would accept different pulleys. The blower shaft is not tapered, the steel pulley from the factory is pressed on with 8 tons of pressure. Aluminum pullies pressed on steel shafts are not an ideal situation.

When this happened to me it was a major pucker moment, I thought I spun a rod bearing.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
It wasn't the pulley. I have a steel BF hub so I don't think it will move. I pulled the SC off and it is the rotors. I ported the SC about 3 years ago and after doing so was concerned about the key hole cut out I made on the bottom of the case. I asked another persons opinion about it and he said it should be okay. It had been okay at stock boost levels, but the 4lb lower and 2.76 upper must have been too much for it.
I am in the market for another Eaton now. When I port it I will do the elongated triangle design that everyone is doing.
here are some before pics.
cobraport1.jpg
cobraport4.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So what exactly was making the noise inside of there? Was there some metal to metal contact?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
So what exactly was making the noise inside of there? Was there some metal to metal contact?

Yes metal to metal, I will try to get a pic posted tonight for information reasons. The ears you see in the key hole opening moved enough to get into the rotors. It is a area about 1/2" wide on the lobe of each rotor.

Users who are viewing this thread