trouble with inspection in NJ

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
I got rejected after going through inspection the first time after installing new cats on the car. The reason was that the OBD report read that the cats and one other thing were "not ready". at the time I was on an SCT tune and figured either the cats were disabled in the tune, or I just havent put the correct amount of miles on the car yet. Everything else came up as ready. To play it safe i decided to go with the "return to stock" option with the tuner just so I know the computer is back to factory and everything is being read and all the monitors are turned on. About 50 miles later on a stock factory tune I went back and every single category came up as "unsupported". The DMV people said I should put more miles on the car and come back again. Another 200 miles later it still reads "unsupported" in every OBD category. This has me very confused considering that the SCT tune seemed close to normal while the completely stock tune is now the one giving me problems. The DMV systems aren't reading the computer and I dont know what to do now. The car is 100% street legal now and the computer is back to stock yet instead of "not ready" signals im getting unsupported results all across the board. There are no check engine lights or codes and the car is running perfectly fine too. What can the issue be? should i put the SCT tune back on since that atleast gave me ready and not ready results? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
You might need to take it to a reputable tuner to iron out your issue.

someone i know that deals with stuff like this told me unsupported means its disabled in the tune. How can everything be disabled? especially on a stock tune. should i maybe try having the ford dealer do a reflash?

eaglesnick

Established Member
As Mach1033 stated. Who tuned your car? Depending on your mods you may need to have the tune "tweaked" to get your car to pass.

mach1033

Established Member
Yes you could do that. But what are your mods? I had LT's with catted x pipe and magnaflow cat back. I passed without issue.

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
I had to put mine back to stock and babied it never hitting boost. Everything turned to ready so you might want to take it somewhere.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
I had to put mine back to stock and babied it never hitting boost. Everything turned to ready so you might want to take it somewhere.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

yea i think i might just ask a ford dealer if they can reflash it to stock settings. atleast that way you cant really go wrong.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I had the same problem. Had my tuner check and make sure everything was turned on in the tune. Still several hundred miles and three or four attempts at different staions and still failed for not ready or unsupported. There are some very specific parameters for speed, temps and duration that have to be met. If i remember the computer has to sample exhaust gases at three different speeds for a minimum amount of time between 25 and 45 mph in one ten minute period.If it doesn't complete all three in the alloted time, it has to start over. If fuel level is above 85% or below 15% it can cause problems with emissions test. If your like me, and only drive the car on weekends you tend to avoid stop and go traffic and head for the open road and don't spend enough time between 25 and 45 and I was in the habit of going to inspection station first thing at 7am and car wasn't properly warmed up. I finally took it back to my tuner, Kevin Hand (Wicked Motorsports) and he was nice enough to stop what he was doing and take me out on a short circuit. He drove in a certain way and I held his computer in my lap and called out as each of the parameters turned from red to green. Took about 15 minutes, then i drove straight to inspection station and passed with flying colors. That was two years ago. Hope i don't have the same problem next month.
So my suggestion would be to find some heavy stop and go traffic and suffer through it for 10 or 20 minutes, make sure your up to temp and have 1/2 tank gas and try one more time. Then, see Kevin. Good luck

mach1033

Established Member
I had the same problem. Had my tuner check and make sure everything was turned on in the tune. Still several hundred miles and three or four attempts at different staions and still failed for not ready or unsupported. There are some very specific parameters for speed, temps and duration that have to be met. If i remember the computer has to sample exhaust gases at three different speeds for a minimum amount of time between 25 and 45 mph in one ten minute period.If it doesn't complete all three in the alloted time, it has to start over. If fuel level is above 85% or below 15% it can cause problems with emissions test. If your like me, and only drive the car on weekends you tend to avoid stop and go traffic and head for the open road and don't spend enough time between 25 and 45 and I was in the habit of going to inspection station first thing at 7am and car wasn't properly warmed up. I finally took it back to my tuner, Kevin Hand (Wicked Motorsports) and he was nice enough to stop what he was doing and take me out on a short circuit. He drove in a certain way and I held his computer in my lap and called out as each of the parameters turned from red to green. Took about 15 minutes, then i drove straight to inspection station and passed with flying colors. That was two years ago. Hope i don't have the same problem next month.
So my suggestion would be to find some heavy stop and go traffic and suffer through it for 10 or 20 minutes, make sure your up to temp and have 1/2 tank gas and try one more time. Then, see Kevin. Good luck

Kevin is my tuner as well and I had no issue when i went through inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread