Troy Bilt Riding Mower Troubleshooting

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I have a Troy Bilt riding Mower I have been trying to fix. I can’t get a call back from any repair places.

I was cutting grass and it just stopped like it was shut off. It had fresh gas in it so I checked connections and I didn’t notice anything.

I poured some fuel in the carb and it fired up briefly then immediately shutoff. I figured it was the carb or filters. I ordered a new carb, all filters, and spark plug plus the wire. I changed them and still nothing. Again, pour gas in the carb and it briefly fires up but immediately dies.

Any thoughts/THOTs?

Does two women scissoring sound like an armpit farting contest?

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member

Check this out, may be of help or look at some of her other videos.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Fuel, air, spark. Which one is missing?

From your description sounds like fuel? Fuel filter? Pinched fuel line? Bad gas? Clogged fuel tank?

You could try running fuel from a fuel can (marine style, with a hose connection on the bottom for gravity flow) to see if she runs with known good fuel source.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had a jd ride mower, it would get water in fuel bowl all the time,
I would have to pull fuel line and let some fuel flow and remove water .
It was like every time to get mower running after it sat between cuts. .

I now have a different mower now,

I always look for the service manual,,pdf type helps to see everything you need to fix

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Had a similar problem with my cub cadet. Long story short I didn't gap the plugs right and the fuel pick up line in the tank had a tiny piece of debris in it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I had similar Troy Built with an issue like you describe. It ended up being a ignition module thing up on top of the motor under the fan shroud if I recall. Had to remove that whole top piece. There were 2 modules under there, one was bad and the other I guess was on its way out. Mower would start then die off to about half throttle and eventually die. It was Kohler motor though on a troy built rider. Might check and make sure that's not causing you a problem.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Does this have a fuel pump? I know some of the bigger engines have a vacuum operated fuel pump on the side of the engine. Both my old twin Briggs and current Kawasaki have them.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Probably has a diaphragm fuel pump on the crankcase somewhere, sounds like it may no longer be diaphragming

Users who are viewing this thread