Truck and trailer thread???

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
AAHHHHHH, I finally figured out how some of you get such better mileage than me. You live in the flatlands. A whole gaggle of us went down to Roebling Road this weekend and ran an event with The Dark Side. Towing 75mph, I was getting 13.1mpg... that is 1.5mpg better than I get going to VIR (with an open trailer). Why? Because it was a flat haul all the way across SC and GA. For me to go to VIR, I hit the hills of NC and VA. Not mountains, but hills and they do seem to make a difference. Running around RRR all weekend without the trailer, I got 17.3mpg... that is the best mileage I have ever seen out of my truck.

13.1mpg? Lucky... I only got 10.8mpg!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Great pics Greg, I really love the one with the 2 Dodge A100 vans in it. My old neighbor raced motorcycles in the summer when we were kids. His dad took out all the back benches except 1. The family of 5 would leave for the weekend with 2 motorcycles and all their gear in that van, open windows and no A/C. Ah, the good old days.

I also had a Dodge (B300) van when I was racing bikes.
My first race was an ERA race at VIR in May '74.
Here's a photo from the VIR history site of that race, and a couple guys who became good friends of mine.

Email0001.jpg

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
:-D

I couldn't deal with the Dakota struggling up the hills, so yes, I picked her up this morning. 25 MPG on the highway!!!
IMG_0108.jpg
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back? I'm trying to get authorization to buy a 'real' tow vehicle.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Hey my track pipe just started burning, can't piss her off this early in the game!

You're in much better shape than me.

According to my live-in boss, since I had my "Racing Career" in the 70's and 80's with bikes, this is supposed to just be a hobby. Which means NO tow vehicles, and NO rear seat delete (somehow that makes it a race car :shrug:).

But I'll take what I can get at this stage. She was with me all the way through those times, best pit crew a guy could want.

Remember, praise is an essential element in negotiating for authorization. :D

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
Here is my 02 F250 Crew Cab Powerstroke. 89K miles on her and running strong. This a picture from two years ago as I now have a different S197 and a Featherlite open trailer.
My truck has absolutely no problems hauling this or much larger trailers. As far as gas mileage...towing the steel trailer in the photo, loaded, and driving agressively (as I always do), pushing 75-80, I would get 10 mpg. With my new Featherlite open trailer, with the same load and driving style, I get 11 mpg. I attribute that 1mpg increase to the 1000# lighter trailer. I will post an updated picture later.
misc002.jpg

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Just brought home my new rig. The trailer is nuts. 38ft Exiss aluminum. Onan 5000 generator, full lights, cabinets, super winch on the floor, and a crazy Girard 32' automatic power awning. The downside is that i bought this stuff from Roush and they had to remove any sponsor markings which included the logos on the canvas for the awning. That will cost $2k to replace.

IMG_2494.jpg

svtmadman

Established Member
Does anyone recall the S2000 pulling the openwheel car on hte single axle last May at VIR SVTCC?? I thought that was kinda crazy!!!!!!!!!

David Hester

Established Member
I had a Formula Vee and a single axle trailer I pulled with a Jeep Cherokee 4.o liter. I have a buddy that hauls a ITC CRX on a single axle trailer with a Surburban.

BTW Nice rig Rob!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have had my 2008 F250 for one year as of 8/31 and figured I would post up the mileage calculations. I kept every reciept (except one damnit) as well as notes on most of them. The mileage finally started climbing after our trip to RRR back in May and has really started coming up in the past 600 miles or so.

I finally hit the 10k mark this week, just a day or so after owning it for a complete year. Here are the only maintenance/work so far:

- Dealer installed a new door seal on the rear driver's side door for free. The seal was loose, like it was never glued at the factory. I did not notice it until weeks after I bought it.
- Recalled for an ECU reflash and replacement radiator overflow bottle
- Oil change and tire rotation at the 8200 mark. I wanted to do it at 7500, but was busy.

F250mileageupdated.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread