Truck Buying Advice

Juruense

Banned
Hey I saw a truck for sale last night in the AutoZone parking lot.

I have been thinking about getting a third vehicle for a while since I am getting tired of driving the Cobra in the winter... Plus I am always having to borrow other people's trucks so...

Its a 1992 F-350 four door pickup with real nice color matched topper, dual gas tanks, rhino liner, and 460 engine. The vehicle has 110,000 miles and the asking price is $5000. I am thinking of offering $3600 to start and trying to buy this vehicle. I will be looking at it again tonight.

What should I look for?

What goes wrong with these trucks?

How bad will the mileage be?

Thanks... I think this truck will be ideal for my upcoming move into a new house and also for camping with the Boy Scout Troop my son is in.

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'd stay away from the BB. A f150 will most likely haul the same amount but get 100x better mpg.

Other than that little opinion, I have no idea about common problems.
GL with the purchase.

floyd4ford

Ford guy
Established Member
I'd stay away from the BB. A f150 will most likely haul the same amount but get 100x better mpg.

Other than that little opinion, I have no idea about common problems.
GL with the purchase.

Doubtful my 96 F150 with a 302 barely managed 12 mpg's a BB wont get to much worse and it can tow alot more.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If all you are doing is moving and taking it camping, get a 4x4 F150, Supercrew if you can. Staty away from the 4.6. The 5.4 was great though.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Doubtful my 96 F150 with a 302 barely managed 12 mpg's a BB wont get to much worse and it can tow alot more.

12mpg??? Thats nuts, my old chevy 350 would get near 20 highway.
If 12 is the norm then get which ever, you'll be paying out the ass either way.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I have a 98 f150 with the 4.2 v6. It gets around 16-18mpg in the city and over 20 on the highway. Alot of people told me they would never get a v6 truck but I never had a problem with it and I haul quite a bit.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i think a Lightning would be pretty sick. You get a great looking truck that can still do a decent amount of work, and its not slow as molasses either.

jfsram

Established Member

Something is wrong with your truck. Most 5L F150's will get 17 or better.

The 460 will suck fuel like a toilette flushing. It can and will be handy for moving and camping but if you plan on giving it double duty for daily driving. Find something else.

floyd4ford

Ford guy
Established Member

The 460 will suck fuel like a toilette flushing. It can and will be handy for moving and camping but if you plan on giving it double duty for daily driving. Find something else.

Dude the sticker in the window when it was new said 13 to 15. I bought it new it just didnt get good milage. My 06 with 5.4 barely gets 15 mpg's. Look it up if you dont believe me.

Juruense

Banned
Thanks for the info gnetlemen... :beer:

I will update the thread with more detail after I look at the truck tonight.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Get on it and make sure it don't sputter- fuel pumps go out. Feel behind the fender because they rust like crazy no matter how well kept (Assuming your state sees salt/ sand). Also check the cab and box corners for rust. Check tires for alignment, as the ball joints go on these around that milage, especially with a heavy 460. If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.

Juruense

Banned
Took another look at it, major rust. Guy wants $5000 OBO I am going to offer $2400 and not budge so most likely no deal. I think the advice to "just get a F-150" for my usage is good and that is the route I will most likely go. Its a badass truck but I cannot pay more than $2400 for it as it sits.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Single digits while towing and not better than 12 empty. A buddy had one a few years newer and it dranked gas, and couldn't pull a 40ft gooseneck very well on hills. It dropped down to 6mpg with the trailer. It got replaced by a 07 6.0 diesel which gets better mileage loaded than the gas burner did empty. Unless you need a heavyduty truck for cheap, avoid. It's only good for a weekend tow truck to the races. Go find a Tacoma, Ranger, or S-10 extended cab. Decent on gas and can pull a 16' utility trailer with the big engine, can do it with the little one but it's slow [Tacoma].

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yeah, no need to get that much truck for what you plan to do with it. Get a 1/2 ton and call it a day.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member

bullshit, most 5.0 f-150's I've been around do on the bottom side of 14, no matter how you drive them. Mine has trouble breaking 11-12 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread