True Forged IC tank cap glass mod review

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
So Steve went out of his way to get my cap to me. It arrived today and I'd like to say this mod is all we've been asking for! The quality of work is great as always! I took some videos and pics on my iPhone to give you an idea of what you're in store for.

While I was waiting for the cap to get back to me, I started the Cobra and noticed the fluid wasn't flowing. Turns out the relay was bad. When I first installed the tanks last year, I was getting coolant seepage from around the cap. I installed a fatter o-ring which worked to prevent the seepage. After re-installing the cap with the glass mod, I'm beginning to believe that when I first installed it last year the pump may have not been running and when the fluid became hot, it caused pressure which forced the fluid out the cap. Just a theory but the true test will come when I'm able to drive the car for a little bit.

On to the videos and pics:

Without light

th_IMG_0388_zps6cre5mqw.jpg

With light

th_IMG_0394_zpszaeku4pt.jpg

IMG_0392_zpsxqhlf73l.jpg

IMG_0393_zpszrvbae6u.jpg

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Double check with Steve, as I thought I saw him post somewhere that these don't fit some of the older tanks.

My cap is the previous version so the mod can be done to it. He had a batch of older and newer caps done recently. It's cost effective to get a batch done together so if there's enough interest, more caps can be modded.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Can't wait until I get my ic tank with the window cap!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
oh ya forgot about that good catch I'll ask. I think this one might be older, if this is the production number LOL

IMG_1435.JPG

as long as it is a billet cap this can be done. not the OOOOLD plastic fuel cell types of course lol. you'd have to send your cap back to have it done though. we've consistently changed the billet caps over the years so its rare that they fit each other. little tweaks here and there. to the threads, size etc.. all the new caps do not fit any of the older tanks. so you'd definitely have to send yours back. and, youd have to send it back when we're having the caps machined. we're doing them in BULK now to cut down on costs. we had a bunch of caps made for future batches and just set them aside. we just had 43 caps done. so it will be a little bit before we cut them again. we're going to use the same caps on our upcoming GT500 tanks so that should mean we do them more often.

on a side note, we are going to make the window caps standard now. since we were able to cut the costs by doing a bunch ahead of time. it will slightly raise the price of the IC tanks but not by much. we'll (TF and customer) will split the cost. by making it standard it makes it a heck of a lot easier to deal with and also keep the cost down.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Cost of mod?

if you send your cap back to have the mod done, $20 plus shipping. so basically $26.

BUT, you have to wait till the next batch of caps are cut. we have to do them in bulk and we just did a bunch. but once we do it again, we have no problem including your cap in the run. we just had two members (including OP) do it this time.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
as long as it is a billet cap this can be done. not the OOOOLD plastic fuel cell types of course lol. you'd have to send your cap back to have it done though. we've consistently changed the billet caps over the years so its rare that they fit each other. little tweaks here and there. to the threads, size etc.. all the new caps do not fit any of the older tanks. so you'd definitely have to send yours back. and, youd have to send it back when we're having the caps machined. we're doing them in BULK now to cut down on costs. we had a bunch of caps made for future batches and just set them aside. we just had 43 caps done. so it will be a little bit before we cut them again. we're going to use the same caps on our upcoming GT500 tanks so that should mean we do them more often.

on a side note, we are going to make the window caps standard now. since we were able to cut the costs by doing a bunch ahead of time. it will slightly raise the price of the IC tanks but not by much. we'll (TF and customer) will split the cost. by making it standard it makes it a heck of a lot easier to deal with and also keep the cost down.

Ok, thanks Steve. I'll be on the lookout for when you plan on doing a bulk order for the machining. You have any idea how long it takes? Just wondering how long the car would be down.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Ok, thanks Steve. I'll be on the lookout for when you plan on doing a bulk order for the machining. You have any idea how long it takes? Just wondering how long the car would be down.

less than a week if we time everything correctly

ctgreddy

Established Member
Do you have any idea when you'll be doing another run or will you post a thread a week or two ahead of time? I'd love to get mine redone.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
subscribe to this thread and choose email notification option. i will post in this thread when we're getting ready to do them again. the forum will automatically notify you that the thread has been updated. of course it may notify you a bunch of times if people are posting in it :D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is great for your new customer that the window cap will be standard. Awesome idea and I think your customers are going to really love it. Innovation FTW!! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread