True Forged rim leak

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
I’d ask Steve but can’t land him anywhere.

I’ve had my TF since around ‘08. Recently a rear rim had developed a slow leak. Soaped it and it bubbles along the bead. Had the tire dismounted and the chrome on my lip has developed a crack, which has begun chipping away causing “pits” along the bead and my leak.

My father-in-law has recommended using POR15 and coating the interior of the rim to essentially fill in the pits and cease the cracking. Part of me is a little worrisome applying this if it doesn’t work I guess. Not sure it can even be removed if it doesn’t work or would affect the outer hoop.

Be nice to just send it to Steve, or a shop that could rehoop it.

Just looking for any feedback, recommendations. Trying to not f&@k up my rim. Thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Is it just the chrome itself that's causing the problem? If so can you have it stripped and rechromed?

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
Is it just the chrome itself that's causing the problem? If so can you have it stripped and rechromed?

I was thinking this too. My father-in-law has the rim since I’m out of town. He said initially that it was corroding. But now it sounds more like the chrome is just flaking away, causing the problem. Which if that’s the case, I’d rather just try and have it rechromed.

94slowbra1

Established Member
honestly i wouldnt hold your breath trying to get ahold of him. if the chrome is peeling/pitting and causing the leak you have a couple of options. repair the one rime by disassembling it and having the hoop rechromed or repair them all by disassembling them all and have them polished out so this doesnt happen again.
disassemble and reassemble is actually a pretty easy process once the tires are dismounted.
good luck

Zemedici

Established Member
You won’t get in touch with him.

Just call a local shop and ask them who they use for high end wheel repair.

Wheels a wheel. It can be fixed / repaired.

Intervention302

Established Member
I’d ask Steve but can’t land him anywhere.

I’ve had my TF since around ‘08. Recently a rear rim had developed a slow leak. Soaped it and it bubbles along the bead. Had the tire dismounted and the chrome on my lip has developed a crack, which has begun chipping away causing “pits” along the bead and my leak.

My father-in-law has recommended using POR15 and coating the interior of the rim to essentially fill in the pits and cease the cracking. Part of me is a little worrisome applying this if it doesn’t work I guess. Not sure it can even be removed if it doesn’t work or would affect the outer hoop.

Be nice to just send it to Steve, or a shop that could rehoop it.

Just looking for any feedback, recommendations. Trying to not f&@k up my rim. Thanks

Good time to upgrade to some CCWs :)

I can help you with pricing if you'd like.

As far as fixing your TF, can you get us some photos?

Is it a 2pc or 3pc wheel? Leaking at the bead, and not the seam for the barrel and face? I've disassembled a few sets of wheels, and usually a leak is fixable

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Good time to upgrade to some CCWs :)

I can help you with pricing if you'd like.

As far as fixing your TF, can you get us some photos?

Is it a 2pc or 3pc wheel? Leaking at the bead, and not the seam for the barrel and face? I've disassembled a few sets of wheels, and usually a leak is fixable
Are you a vendor?

Intervention302

Established Member
All good then.
Yeah not trying to bend or break the rules.

My friend owns a wheel company and I dabble in helping him out as a favor. In doing so, I've gained some know how on different options, fitment, colors, and what not.

Just trying to help the gentleman out

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread