Beercules

Established Member
I got tired of spending money trying to quiet/strengthen/rebuild the 8.8 axle and was looking into upgrading to a 9" and found some information about the trutrac.
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/91026-9-Inch-wavetrac-truetrac-nodual-alloy-which-one!!!
Post #6.

Maybe just for track racers and might give credence to the frpp guy's claim (I spoke with on the phone) saying the torsen is stronger than the truetrac? Thought he was crazy at the time, don't know now. (The guy also said the 8.8 isn't noisy, just a couple people had issues and talk about it on the Internet (he was irritated about it too).

Anyway, it'll be nice when strange makes the s trac for the 8.8.

P.s. I spun the carrier bearings in the axle housing and never got decent traction. You guys might think about a girdle and drilling holes in the back for the cooler lines/temp probe. Too late for me.
Also, when rebuilding the 8.8, look into. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/yga-55040. Really cool. 2 races with shims in the middle. Don't have to machine it.

Beercules

Established Member
Girdle 1.jpgGirdle 2.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been wanting to put a girdle on my car but I didn't think I could since it has the diff cooler. I might do what you did. That looks way better.

Beercules

Established Member
I took it to a machine shop to make sure I didn't crack it. The threading is odd on the temp probe. I just used Teflon tape and cross threaded it into the drain hole (with a copper adapter for size). You'll also need to move the vent from the stock cover to the hole in the axle tube (has a bolt plug in it stock). The frpp is low profile enough I didn't need the panhard relocation bracket.

Last edited:

Beercules

Established Member
Oh and you need to dremel through a metal piece on the coolant lines who's sole purpose is to keep them in alignment at the diff. You'll see when you do it.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I love my Tru trac...for the money you can't beat it...and I've yet to see one blow up.

Users who are viewing this thread