Trump to repeal California's clean air authority

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
As it is, California standard or Federal standard are damn near the same for emissions. Gasoline engines are about as clean as they can get. Fuel economy is now the only way to decrease emissions. California wanted to set the CAFE standard for the manufacturers selling in California. The only way I could imagine the Corporate Average Fuel Economy going up is for all of the states having to bow down to California and get rid of their trucks and SUVs in favor of electrics and sub-compacts. If the terms were that only vehicles sold in California were counted in the fuel economy count, it would mean that Californians would be the ones unable to purchase the vehicle they want. Now we come into the clash between interstate commerce and states rights. When a Californian buys a vehicle in Nevada and drives it into California, does the state violate the interstate commerce laws by refusing to allow it to be licensed in California?

noco5.0

Established Member
I agree. Let them have it however they want it out there.

I'm a proponent of states rights, but the Federal Government does have a role in air quality regulation. I think it's ridiculous for a single state or even a group of states to think their actions are going to impact something like climate change. We can kill our economy with green regulations but until China and India stop spewing pollution we aren't going to have an impact. States like California and Colorado need to be challenged on these silly feel good measures that are hurting our economies. I studied emissions standards in grad school and the whole process is a huge waste of resources. We are wasting tons of people's productive time when the better enforcement method would be to go after those vehicles that are visibly polluting rather than make someone with their 6 year old well maintained Camry waste an afternoon getting some unnecessary emissions test.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
As it is, California standard or Federal standard are damn near the same for emissions. Gasoline engines are about as clean as they can get. Fuel economy is now the only way to decrease emissions. California wanted to set the CAFE standard for the manufacturers selling in California. The only way I could imagine the Corporate Average Fuel Economy going up is for all of the states having to bow down to California and get rid of their trucks and SUVs in favor of electrics and sub-compacts. If the terms were that only vehicles sold in California were counted in the fuel economy count, it would mean that Californians would be the ones unable to purchase the vehicle they want. Now we come into the clash between interstate commerce and states rights. When a Californian buys a vehicle in Nevada and drives it into California, does the state violate the interstate commerce laws by refusing to allow it to be licensed in California?

That's what you think. Wait until they start cracking down on particulates. An EcoBoost is dirtier from the tailpipe than a PSD. You may start seeing "DPF"s on gas engines.

coposrv

Established Member
I wish auto manufactures would all at once decide to stop wasting time and R&D on a completely different set of Commiefornia emission standards and just stop selling cars in that state. Sure, they’d lose quite a few sales at first. But once the wealthy hypocrites in that state realize they can’t just walk down Rodeo Dr and buy another Ferrari, something tells me Trump wouldn’t have to get involved at all. They themselves would demand the state fall in line.

Holy shit almost exactly like how the free market is supposed to work. What a crazy idea.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sn95Snake

Established Member
CA is getting worse every single year. You can't stop the cancer from spreading. Sooner or later the smog laws will be so ****ing bad, everyone will drive a Prius or Tesla. I mean for **** sake you can't even have loud exhaust. No body can save CA. Nobody.

Couldn't agree with you more bro, the cancer is spreading faster and faster by the day.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
That's what you think. Wait until they start cracking down on particulates. An EcoBoost is dirtier from the tailpipe than a PSD. You may start seeing "DPF"s on gas engines.
The real issue is the fuel quality. Until gasoline performance is increased, everything we are doing is a bandaid.

When you take 87 and pressurize it to 3000 psi before injecting it into a hot combustion chamber, you change the manner in how it burns.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Holy shit almost exactly like how the free market is supposed to work. What a crazy idea.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IMG_0937.GIF

Users who are viewing this thread