Trunk Mounted Battery Box...installed.

stylin99

Established Member
Wow what a lot of work!! I just got finished installing a UPR trunk mounted battery box. Much more intensive work than I was expecting. (Insert smilie that's brushing sweat off forehead)

We weighed everything as we were doing this since we're doing a product review for this on my website. Just thought I'd share some preliminary thoughts.

Battery weighed 37 lbs. So now that is sitting on the right rear wheel instead of the nose. Should help with traction and wgt transfer considerably.

In order to mount the battery box, you have to drill 2 holes thru the trunk for the mounting rods. Since the underside of the car is blocked by the gas tank...guess what's next...dropping the gas tank to put a nut on the rods. This wasn't too bad since it was only 2 bolts holding that sucker in place (this makes me question Ford's safety program to only have 2 bolts on a gas tank.)

Wiring took a bit of creativity. Had to get creative with the connection of the stock battery cable to the new cable but it looks pretty smooth.

Oh and don't let your wrench touch the positive terminal and the metal box at the same time....of course we knew this but the wrench slipped and scared the bejesus out of me! Sparks flew everywhere and ended up with a melted wrench handle and nice size groove in the box edge! (pic below) Luckily all my fingers were still in place.:shock:

This is by NO means finished. I've got to clean up the trunk, mount the nitrous bottle in the spare tire well and create a custom trunk mat to fit back there. More pics to come later but want to share my hard labor for now. ;) Well enough talk, here's the pics.

440BBoxFinished1.jpg

440BoxArch.jpg

More pics soon

Users who are viewing this thread