TSB For 1-2 Grind

HidnNOS

Established Member
Sorry, I've posted this same question in 2 threads with no response. My local dealer says he cannot locate a TSB for the issue. My question is, if there is one, can someone please post it here?

moncho

Established Member
Here you are incase you still need it:

TSB 10-3-8

Google it for additional information.

Cheers

Speedboosted

Established Member
Here you are incase you still need it:

TSB 10-3-8

Google it for additional information.

Cheers

That's for the clutch drag and other issues with the 07-08. I don't believe there is a TSB for the 1-2 grid

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Just curious, what is the OFFICIAL OPINION on the matter? I've heard: shifter bushings, rear shifter bushing, stock shifter sucks, too wide of a gap between gear ratios from 1-2, wrong trans fluid, air in clutch line, clutch line too small, bronze synchronizer, driver error, not pausing between gear selections, .... etc (feel free to add to my list lol)

Is there a fundamental, one main problem, that is the cause? Would a redesigned synchro be the ultimate solution?

There are a lot of opinions, but what is the root cause? Maybe then Ford could address this with a TSB.

Thanks

finally03gt

Established Member
My car has/had the 1-2 grind. I am picking it up from Ford tomorrow, so we'll see. I don't think there IS and OFFICIAL stance. Ford does not seem to officially acknowledge the problem. Some ppl have gotten a good fix from Ford, some a failed attempt and others haven't even been able to get Ford to try to fix it. There is a thread on here somewhere where a poster said he had a conversation with a rep/tech at Tremec and hashed out the causes, but I don't know how legitimate that is. I've ready maannyyyy threads and the only consistent themes I see are:
1. Bushings help, Shifters help, Amsoil helps, WOT boxes help. In many cases ppl state this completely solved it.
2. Some ppl, myself included, are too hard headed to throw aftermarket solutions at a manufacturer problem. I say manufacturer b/c IMHO too many cars have had the same issues for it to just be a fluke or abuse or anything other than a design/material issue.
3. If you love the car, and can't get a Ford fix, my self possibly included, should try the things mentioned above. My order will be 1. Amsoil (problem or not, i'm swapping) 2. A WOT box 3. A MWG or Barton shifter

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Seems to me it's a synchro redesign, then a massive recall. Will it happen? No.

michael kellam

Established Member
all of the threads on this topic convinced me to research this a bit further. what i couldnt identify was is there an aftermarket solution to the internal issues. i saw there is a " level something" trans listed on the lethal's website but other then describing the content it didnt elaborate on if the aftermarket trans would be ant more durable nor did it comment on improvements. EDIT: if there was an outline on why it is superior i missed it completely.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...-09-shelby-gt500/transmission/transmissions-1

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
They should rename this forum from Shelby GT-500 to 1-2 Grind Issues. lol

Crazy that so many are having issues with it, and Ford is giving the run around/denying it to some.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
2. Some ppl, myself included, are too hard headed to throw aftermarket solutions at a manufacturer problem. I say manufacturer b/c IMHO too many cars have had the same issues for it to just be a fluke or abuse or anything other than a design/material issue.

I'm stubborn like you. Or I'd hate to spend $500 that could be used on injectors, pumps, a throttlebody, xpipe, or something else, especially if there is no 100% guarantee it will shift properly. It's not the spending of the money, it's whether it will be well spent.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
They should rename this forum from Shelby GT-500 to 1-2 Grind Issues. lol

Crazy that so many are having issues with it, and Ford is giving the run around/denying it to some.

You would think Ford would take a hard look at this. Especially cause most of us don't hold on to cars forever and will be looking at the next best thing. How do we know the next SVT GT350 won't have shifting issues. The MT82 is just as big a piece of shit when it comes to shifting.

Zemedici

Established Member
My car has/had the 1-2 grind. I am picking it up from Ford tomorrow, so we'll see. I don't think there IS and OFFICIAL stance. Ford does not seem to officially acknowledge the problem. Some ppl have gotten a good fix from Ford, some a failed attempt and others haven't even been able to get Ford to try to fix it. There is a thread on here somewhere where a poster said he had a conversation with a rep/tech at Tremec and hashed out the causes, but I don't know how legitimate that is. I've ready maannyyyy threads and the only consistent themes I see are:
1. Bushings help, Shifters help, Amsoil helps, WOT boxes help. In many cases ppl state this completely solved it.
2. Some ppl, myself included, are too hard headed to throw aftermarket solutions at a manufacturer problem. I say manufacturer b/c IMHO too many cars have had the same issues for it to just be a fluke or abuse or anything other than a design/material issue.3. If you love the car, and can't get a Ford fix, my self possibly included, should try the things mentioned above. My order will be 1. Amsoil (problem or not, i'm swapping) 2. A WOT box 3. A MWG or Barton shifter

I dont understand this. Its a characteristic of the vehicle, although it may be a negative one. So why wouldnt you modify the vehicle to improve said aspect? Same as the stock tires sucking grip wise, do you just gripe about it, or do you buy stickier tires? If you dont like something about the car, then change it. :shrug:

In the grand scheme of things, I wouldnt think a $3-400 shifter and some trans fluid really would be that big of a deal. At least your car doesnt have recalls, and recalls for your recalls :D

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
In the grand scheme of things, I wouldnt think a $3-400 shifter and some trans fluid really would be that big of a deal. At least your car doesnt have recalls, and recalls for your recalls :D

because there is no definitive "fix". Some say ATF, some say ATF/clutch line, some say MGW. MGW doesn't even say it will definitely fix the problem. And you can't compare factory tires to a vehicle that doesn't shift. It's not notchy, it's not an occasional missed shift. It flat out doesn't shift, and grinds for what feels like an eternity. Get behind the wheel of a stock 10-12 GT500 and tell me if we should suck it up. It is by far the worst manual transmission experience I've ever had. I've had numerous Foxes, SN 95's, new Edges, and a Datsun 280Z, etc none have shifted this poorly. 03-04 Cobras had a horrible shifter from the factory but you could shift those cars, you cannot shift a 10-12 with any kind of speed at high RPM's on the 1-2. It just won't happen.

Next time the car leaves the garage, I'll take a video so you can grasp what we are complaining about.

charged87

Established Member
So glad I had mine warranted by in July. .. my warranty would have been up this month. Mine was so bad I couldn't even go above 2k rpm without a huge CRUNCH or grind.. I completely gave up trying to speed or quick shift into 2nd. I just took it to the dealer and asked to take one of the head techs for a ride and he seen the problem as soon as I left the parking lot.... it only had 11k for milage. I tried the drake (shelby) shifter and amsoil but it still did it.. once the problem is there your pretty much screwed. They replaced the complete Trans no questions asked but I did know one of the head techs at the dealer and got a hold of Dysha about my problem to but not sure if it helped any because they took care of it right away. If it didn't get fixed I was ready to trade it in but I'm so glad it was replaced and it shifted perfectly when I picked it up but for piece of mind I put amsoil atf in and a new Gen 2 MGW shifter.. completely different car now and so much more enjoyable to drive now!!

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
because there is no definitive "fix". Some say ATF, some say ATF/clutch line, some say MGW. MGW doesn't even say it will definitely fix the problem. And you can't compare factory tires to a vehicle that doesn't shift. It's not notchy, it's not an occasional missed shift. It flat out doesn't shift, and grinds for what feels like an eternity. Get behind the wheel of a stock 10-12 GT500 and tell me if we should suck it up. It is by far the worst manual transmission experience I've ever had. I've had numerous Foxes, SN 95's, new Edges, and a Datsun 280Z, etc none have shifted this poorly. 03-04 Cobras had a horrible shifter from the factory but you could shift those cars, you cannot shift a 10-12 with any kind of speed at high RPM's on the 1-2. It just won't happen.

Next time the car leaves the garage, I'll take a video so you can grasp what we are complaining about.

The clutch in my car is bad/was installed incorrectly/etc and I cannot shift the car over 5k rpms, so I know what you're talking about. The solution to my problem is replacing the clutch. What i'm saying is if there's a CHANCE the shifter/fluid would help, why shouldnt you try it? It doesnt appear ford has really helped anyone out with the issue, and it doesnt appear they will from my perspective. So its up to the drivers to fix the issue.

But I'd love to see the video :beer:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
He's chosen his position and it doesn't look like he's willing to address the issue on his own.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The clutch in my car is bad/was installed incorrectly/etc and I cannot shift the car over 5k rpms, so I know what you're talking about. The solution to my problem is replacing the clutch. What i'm saying is if there's a CHANCE the shifter/fluid would help, why shouldnt you try it? It doesnt appear ford has really helped anyone out with the issue, and it doesnt appear they will from my perspective. So its up to the drivers to fix the issue.

But I'd love to see the video :beer:

Because as soon as you try anything Ford absolves themselves of having to warranty the problem. The Video may include some choice words....

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
He's chosen his position and it doesn't look like he's willing to address the issue on his own.

I'm hard headed like that.:shrug: At this point I'd settle for Ford even acknowledging this as an issue, vs telling me the car is not designed for racing or shifting at WOT. It is actually on my repair invoice. I'll shot a photo when I get home. Not sure if dealer or Ford came up with this nonsense. That really goes against Ford bringing the 2013's to Atlanta Dragway and letting the magazine writers flog them?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'd verify the source of the comment you have in writing, then as Deysha suggested, take it to another dealer and see what you get from them. Then make a choice - either sell it as you have suggested previously, or at least try MGW's new shifter if it appears that Ford won't be addressing your issue.

Zemedici

Established Member
Because as soon as you try anything Ford absolves themselves of having to warranty the problem. The Video may include some choice words....

pff hahaha alright :)

i've just never had this sort of experience yall have at dealerships with warranty voiding so quickly. My last dealership had a close relationship with injected engineering, and would send cars there all the time to get tuned, and I rebuilt a guys entire transmission (I was an advisor at the time) even though the car had long tubes, exhaust, a short shifter, etc etc. My current dealership just put a blower on a car, no problems.

Warranty work is gravy, techs get paid, car gets fixed, and the customer doesnt even have to pay. I'm not sure what the problem is. Keep us updated.

mavisky

Established Member
pff hahaha alright :)

i've just never had this sort of experience yall have at dealerships with warranty voiding so quickly. My last dealership had a close relationship with injected engineering, and would send cars there all the time to get tuned, and I rebuilt a guys entire transmission (I was an advisor at the time) even though the car had long tubes, exhaust, a short shifter, etc etc. My current dealership just put a blower on a car, no problems.

Warranty work is gravy, techs get paid, car gets fixed, and the customer doesnt even have to pay. I'm not sure what the problem is. Keep us updated.

Agreed. When I worked as an SA the warranty work was gravy work. The only reason they don't want to have Ford cover it is because they make more if you pay for it out of your pocket. Find a different dealer or move on and sell it.

That being said though, your statement "It flat out doesn't shift, and grinds for what feels like an eternity" sounds like you may have ruined the transmission to the point that nothing besides new synchro's and possibly a new second gear could fix it. My 09 was a little notchy, and it ground once trying to shift quickly. I immediately fashioned the appropriate items to bleed the clutch line (showed spongy characteristics after quick application), upgraded to the KR shifter with the better bushing, and replaced the transmission fluid with Mobil 1 ATF before even attempting another speed shift fearing I'd damage it.

Users who are viewing this thread