Tuner recommendations in Southern California.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I relocated from Northern Colorado to North County San Diego back at the end of 2014.

The car has had some issues and I'm hoping you guys can recommend someone who is a "guru" for these cars, especially the modified ones.

Please let me know where I should go for help. Thanks in advance.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I relocated from Northern Colorado to North County San Diego back at the end of 2014.

The car has had some issues and I'm hoping you guys can recommend someone who is a "guru" for these cars, especially the modified ones.

Please let me know where I should go for help. Thanks in advance.

Were you the owner of a screaming yellow cobra at one time? Just curious because I know someone with one that has your name as his license plate

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There really isn't anyone I'd trust in San Diego. Make the drive to RET or get a remote tune.

If you have a wideband and know how to datalog I'd look into a remote tune. Or look into tuning it yourself.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Last edited:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Google RET and come to your own conclusion. I would only trust Ray at Full Throttle Kustomz or GTR in rancho

SpittingCobra

Established Member
How about GRC in Mission Viejo?

I went by there tonight after work and they sounded very knowledgeable. Their Yelp reviews are pretty questionable. However that seems to be the theme with performance mechanics/ tuners.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
I️ went with Ricardo at GTR performance in Rancho Cucamonga. He tunes with bob kurgan and love my tune.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, AED (and Shaun Perry) has a very good reputation. A shame it's 8 1/2 hours away with no traffic. LOL.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Lol bring it to AED in NorCal. Shaun’s corrected every tune from the tuners listed so far.

I bought this car 11 years ago and I joined this site not long after, and I've been following your build along through all those years. I may actually be open to this but first I need a good mechanic to diagnose why I'm leaking oil before I can entertain going for a tune.

The guy at GRC pointed out that the balancer may be done for and caused the front seal to leak, and may also be the reason for the rear main leak?

I have an 8-rib kit sitting in storage, guess it's time to install seeing the current crank balancer rubber is starting to separate and apparently caused some havoc with the seals.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words.. Def get that stuff figured out it'll make it easier. The only downside to Shaun if this is considered a downside is he wants a good working car. So he won't tune junk basically.. Not saying yours is by any means. Just something to keep in the back of your head. If you're making the drive ensure it's in top shape :)

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words.. Def get that stuff figured out it'll make it easier. The only downside to Shaun if this is considered a downside is he wants a good working car. So he won't tune junk basically.. Not saying yours is by any means. Just something to keep in the back of your head. If you're making the drive ensure it's in top shape :)

That makes perfect sense. Hmm.. the car is not junk, the thing that would separate it from a car like yours is the definitely the budget. Many more things remained factory after the build than I would have liked but the car ended up spending a few months in a field after my mother lost her house, so I was forced to move to a place with a garage and put the engine back in under some less than favorable circumstances.

The main details:
-teksid block .20 over
-stock crank polished and balanced
-manley h-beam rods
-manley flat top pistons
-ARP main studs
-FRPP oil pump
-Ported B heads, stock valves
-5-angle valve job
-Stock cams/lifters/springs
-New Ford head studs
-Stock intake, IMRC deleted (stock plates welded)
-All new seals
-Diablosport dyno tuned
-SCT MAF
-Procharger D1SC tuner kit, stock bracket, 3.8 pulley, procharger 3-core sheetmetal intercooler, procharger piping, Big Red bypass, Walbro 255 in tank, FRPP 42lb injectors, stock lines/rails/regulator.
-Full exhaust with long tubes.
-Exedy stage 2 clutch
-Stock transmission
-FRPP Alum. DS, FRPP 4:10 gears, rebuilt rear end (all bearings, stock diff)
-10k mi on the new engine.

I've spent much beyond my means on the car but it's still not right. I've just kind of left it alone for the past few years since shortly after the rebuild it started leaking oil out of the brand new seals. Basically I need help getting the build back on track, the idea was to create a road course, auto-x, pro touring SN95 and I haven't been able to entertain modding suspension since after the engine was done.. well apparently it's still not done.

Have an appointment to get the front crank seal and rear main work done Wednesday. Praying for the best.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
All seems well there. I don't know what your power goals are but you're going to be limited with the 255 intake and the 42lb injectors to around 450-500rwhp on gas I want to say..

Funny I'm looking to sell my rear Griggs setup :D

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Google RET and come to your own conclusion. I would only trust Ray at Full Throttle Kustomz or GTR in rancho
FYI A LOT of stuff you read online about RET is BOGUS lies. And those shitty builds and craftsmanship photos you see weren't done at RET! I remember this vividly. The customer was a liar.

wckdvnm

Established Member
FYI A LOT of stuff you read online about RET is BOGUS lies. And those shitty builds and craftsmanship photos you see weren't done at RET! I remember this vividly. The customer was a liar.

Not just that guy. There is a class action lawsuit filed against greg. There was a massive backlash against him on the SoCal parts pages when he was mentioned as a tuner.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member

Trust it’s nothing I’ve read. Things I have seen with my eyes and touched with my hands and people I know personally.

You can be right about one customer, but there’s plenty of other that’s aren’t lairs.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Trust it’s nothing I’ve read. Things I have seen with my eyes and touched with my hands and people I know personally.

You can be right about one customer, but there’s plenty of other that’s aren’t lairs.
Fair enough man I'm 1000's of miles away with no direct knowledge BUT I did follow that thread I mentioned previous that wasn't the fault of RET, the car was hacked up at another place..

Users who are viewing this thread