Tuning question for 2010 GT500

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
So I pulled the trigger on a 2010 Grabber Blue GT500. I've always wanted grabber blue and the 2011-2014 were out of my price range. On my 2007 GT500 that I traded in I did an JLT intake, a tune on my old SCT Mustang XCalibrator 2 Tuner, a blower and idler pulley. I gave the tuner to the dealer because I read it wasn't compatible with my 2010. That being said, I want to move ahead with doing something similar on my 2010 Shelby. I'd prefer to keep it as stock looking as possible. So my question is, what is the most cost effective tuner out there just to load a tune with no bells or whistles? Second question is, can I achieve the same power increase that I did on my 2007 keeping the stock intake? Last question is, is it still advisable to swap out the blower pulley and idler pulley?

Really appreciate it!

celticfdguy

Established Member
Here is a picture of my new car.
p_Tr0piE-gqUQGH53uz2xKAetMQcwFallXVJ50DHF2e-xA9ZEmJ2FhZWMjXVuUR1nTASiseZZnAhDzJudRwTpt8yi768Yx5Z5CbQEy95-UcmokXIn0DNAow4pVO0uBwpjLHiYwlJzNMhWuQ5g-eKyvX1bk7Bx9eSyeppvWyIkyZC1nb2MIyIXDXgdBUbONcW5-4seYttDqQlKrpXer_lqTXcJa0sZlVUVoz1ZUlcRzw3zHOpe6DNl3REtxvorBl1donLo9kqRO-oe1N1gm_dOmihe7jH856sM-c4kMHkXk2yxxmPAxd2p2eI9058tjKeLlor7w8xham2WeTxUqUo6bUWa570nXXh_r82-jUvy8JKPqF6jq_Stmzg-EXVfZIyehvvgwm2D-C3HzxBm38-I0yLrwtlssgNLVCMeak5KaY2m1XxlYhY9H5HbG3gujFF4tcd7UNKflXF0Wyuoehp1WeW6yoBrz23Fiouvx7GQwPqiPy6Wc4BWzm-I90q7aN2v_v3tvrTQixieqkZv29geMV6zrIRWKo3Ul4i9FYPgBzBvWzk2L7EEU_a44-9SUUieaD0UHvuqr2zgPTLSmFbQpGuWPZrOn_A1PAHqmaekb16ieKwiQ_DL783GBH_w2P4H9e2bZ0LgXWXQ1_1dt5BoIsPY067iWqONSjLDmQgJT0DQn9TkyOOa1820chke65Th6E1BziqAGonP-POXcLNHIUE=w2645-h1983-no

buddha93

Established Member
Went back to the blue, eh?

Just look at the "recipe" packages everyone sells, same as your old car. $1500 or less out the door depending on what's included. Not going to get into who's tune is better, etc. Personally, at this level, I'd just look at Lund and VMP, stay away from Bama.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Chose your calibrator first and find out what programmer he wants to write the tune for. Pulley is still the only way to increase boost and your stock CAI is adequate for any pulley combination on the stock supercharger. A bigger heat exchanger is advisable.

celticfdguy

Established Member
Went back to the blue, eh?

Just look at the "recipe" packages everyone sells, same as your old car. $1500 or less out the door depending on what's included. Not going to get into who's tune is better, etc. Personally, at this level, I'd just look at Lund and VMP, stay away from Bama.
Yeah, the red Shelby I was looking at was 4 owners and they hacked up the rear bumper to fit quad exhaust. Big turn off. The Grabber blue was 100% stock and 1 owner.

To load a tune, I want something simple. What device would be the most cost effective leaving the actual tune out of the equation? I really dont want to spend 400-500 bucks on a device just to load a once time tune.

celticfdguy

Established Member
Chose your calibrator first and find out what programmer he wants to write the tune for. Pulley is still the only way to increase boost and your stock CAI is adequate for any pulley combination on the stock supercharger. A bigger heat exchanger is advisable.
What is the most cost effective calibrator just to load a single tune? And what is recommended for a heat exchange? I have no experience with them.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
So I pulled the trigger on a 2010 Grabber Blue GT500. I've always wanted grabber blue and the 2011-2014 were out of my price range. On my 2007 GT500 that I traded in I did an JLT intake, a tune on my old SCT Mustang XCalibrator 2 Tuner, a blower and idler pulley. I gave the tuner to the dealer because I read it wasn't compatible with my 2010. That being said, I want to move ahead with doing something similar on my 2010 Shelby. I'd prefer to keep it as stock looking as possible. So my question is, what is the most cost effective tuner out there just to load a tune with no bells or whistles? Second question is, can I achieve the same power increase that I did on my 2007 keeping the stock intake? Last question is, is it still advisable to swap out the blower pulley and idler pulley?

Really appreciate it!

SCT X4 will still be your best bet. $399 and a $50 gift card right now from sct direct. Your stock CAI will support over 600 rwhp as it's the same size as the 13-14.

Pick up a 2.50" pulley, a 90mm idler and a good tune and you're taking that 2010 from 440-450 to 540 or so on 93. Congrats on the new ride. I just tuned that exact combo Wednesday.

bj

bg302

Established Member
What is the most cost effective calibrator just to load a single tune? And what is recommended for a heat exchange? I have no experience with them.
Like BJ mentioned above, the SCT X4 is the way to go, most all well known tuners prefer it. A pulley and idler are about all you can do to keep it stock appearing and gain some power. The heat exchanger Catmonkey mentioned is a larger unit than stock, with or without fans. It will help keep IAT2 under control so you don't lose power due to heat soak.
AFCO Mustang Pro-Series Heat Exchanger w/ Fans 80280PRO (07-12 GT500) (americanmuscle.com)

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It would be the guy that can put a smile on your face and not blow up your car. I don't believe in pinching pennies when it comes to tunes. I'd go with someone that has experience tuning these cars and has a proven track record. The tuner that posted in your thread is who I would tap.

If you want cost effective when it comes to heat exchangers, peruse the market section. These come up for sale used quite a bit. The big debate these days is to fan or not to fan, so I'd read up on those arguments and choose accordingly. Fans add a good bit of cost, and might not be quite as magical as many think, but there are applications that can benefit from them. I think bigger is better as it applies to heat exhangers, but there is likely a point of diminishing returns with the stock intercooler system.

celticfdguy

Established Member
Thanks all for the great input! When it comes to getting a tune with the SCT 4, should I do a email order for a generic tune like I have in the past from lund and brenspeed? Or am I better going to a local mustang shop near me and have them do a custom tune just for my car?

Edit: I am looking at the SCT4 on the SCT website. It says it comes preloaded with tunes. Are those tunes for me doing the pulley/idler swap? Sorry for all the questions. I've been out of the tuning game for quite a while it seems lol

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're going to put a pulley on it, I would find out more about the "canned tune" that comes with the X4. My impression, the tune is for a stock vehicle. Unless the tune provides for revised load tables and timing adjustments, it may not be safe. You should be able to get by with a mail-order tune, but there's a new level of paranoia these days in the tuning community, so you may need to make some contacts and find out what and how they offer tunes.

celticfdguy

Established Member
If you're going to put a pulley on it, I would find out more about the "canned tune" that comes with the X4. My impression, the tune is for a stock vehicle. Unless the tune provides for revised load tables and timing adjustments, it may not be safe. You should be able to get by with a mail-order tune, but there's a new level of paranoia these days in the tuning community, so you may need to make some contacts and find out what and how they offer tunes.
How come there is a new level of paranoia in the community with tunes?

buddha93

Established Member
How come there is a new level of paranoia in the community with tunes?

Depends on what your referring too. The current thing in the spotlot is the EPA paying visits to shop to make sure they aren't screwing with the emmissions. There are plenty of tuners out there who will turn off the rear O2's to negatate any MIL and such. Huge fines are being levied, companys being put out of business etc. Goes without saying, it's not about trying to make big numbers, but simply more power safely.

I shaved 50 rwhp off the Shelby I bought that I thought questionalbe tune from a very well know dyno tuner in SC. The numbers were what I deemed to be pretty high for a pump gas tune to I took to a local tuner here in STL that's been tuning for a very long time and not just SCT. He's tuned it all and actaully understands what the hell he's doing. Long story short, O2's turned off, 20 degress of total timing, and the icing on the cake was a dead WB 02. To compensate for the dead WB 02, they simply mirrored the other bank to make it run. Every time my tuner would load his stuff, the car would start to stumble, etc. Took extra time to track it down before he found it, got the timing where it needs to be and car still makes plenty of power.............safely.

Anyway, those packages are referenced eariler is a canned tune, all centered around the parts they hand you. It's a proven safe tune that's repeatble a 1000 times. It's when you go start to mix and match other things you start to look at a custom tune on the dyo.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Thanks all for the great input! When it comes to getting a tune with the SCT 4, should I do a email order for a generic tune like I have in the past from lund and brenspeed? Or am I better going to a local mustang shop near me and have them do a custom tune just for my car?

Edit: I am looking at the SCT4 on the SCT website. It says it comes preloaded with tunes. Are those tunes for me doing the pulley/idler swap? Sorry for all the questions. I've been out of the tuning game for quite a while it seems lol

You don't want those tunes. Canned tunes are based on an average of a couple of cars, none of which is yours. Plus, the newest of this generation of GT500s is now 7 years old. Components degrade, previous mods can be uncovered, I find a LOT of things that need attention paid to them with every tune I write. Most importantly, vacuum leaks, fuel leaks and electrical failures.

buddha93

Established Member
You don't want those tunes. Canned tunes are based on an average of a couple of cars, none of which is yours. Plus, the newest of this generation of GT500s is now 7 years old. Components degrade, previous mods can be uncovered, I find a LOT of things that need attention paid to them with every tune I write. Most importantly, vacuum leaks, fuel leaks and electrical failures.

I don't disagree, a custom tune will beat a canned tune any day and would definitely stay away from anything SCT has to offer.............they make their money churnning out handhelds, not tunes. That said, his car is bone stock, and a fuel leak...........no tune is gonna fix that, lol. But I get where you are coming from, no car is exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread