Turbo 98 cobra fluttering noise... need help

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Trying to figure out what this fluttering noise I get from 2000 rpm to 2700 rpm and about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. It's a fluttering sound that I thought was an exhaust leak but after pressurizing the exhaust and spraying all the v bands with windex I couldn't find any leaks. Has anyone hear a similar sound or have any suggestions of what to try out. Hoping to get it squared away before the car gets tuned in a couple of weeks.

[video]https://youtu.be/U87lMMAbaJc[/video]

Last edited:

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
I can't hear what you're talking about in the video.

Damn it's really hard to pick up in the video. I'll try to get a better video. In this video if you hear the turbo spool the sound is there just before that, almost sounds more like an air leak than the fluttering sound it makes in person. Perhaps my camera is aliasing the frequency of the sound. You can somewhat make it out when the boost gauge goes above 10 inHg, there isn't any noise at 10 but it starts just above that around 8 inhg.

Throw out bearing be my guess

Would it be load dependent? I would think the throw out bearing would make noise regardless of load. Is there anyway I could test it without dropping the trans lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Have you checked your wastegate to make sure it's opening and the sound isn't compressor surge?

No I haven't, but this is running the car up to atmospheric pressure so the wastegates should both be closed the entire time. I also wouldn't think the compressor would surge with the throttle open since it would be operating a good distance from the surge line.

Users who are viewing this thread